NGD - Emerald X20

Musikron

Experienced
I've been wanting an acoustic that can keep up with my Parker and Majesty in the performance category for a long time now. I came across Emerald guitars a while back while looking for a more ergonomic and modern acoustic, and these guys seem to fit the bill.
They, like Fractal, operate on a direct to customer business model, so finding one in person to check out was a bit of an adventure! But I wound up meeting someone semi locally who was a part of their "Ambassador Program", got to play a handful of different models and pick the guys brain. It was fun, and dude was super cool. He was selling one of his guitars for a price I could almost afford, so a couple days later I went back and took this home with me, the wife appro es!
Still deciding on what strings to put on it. Haven't even cleaned it up, not that it's all that played or funky, just dusty.
It's a 100% carbon guitar, with a real wood veneer just for show. A really interesting instrument. It's definitely top shelf.

2022 Emerald X20
Koa top
Brilliant amber carbon weave.
Celtic trinity knot inlays
Gold frets
Slotted headstock
HyVibe pickup

Can't wait to run this thing through my FM9!

Obligatory pics
1000003475.jpg1000003479.jpg1000003477.jpg1000003478.jpg1000003480.jpg

Man that is pretty!
I love the concept of a carbon fiber acoustic, and I did try an Emerald Baritone once.
They're very cool and sound unique.
Played a McPherson carbon fiber at Gruhn's in Nashville....sounded really really nice.
But they I played some vintage Martins and my attention never left the Martins.

I've been bouncing around looking for a "better" acoustic for the last twenty years. Every time I blow a wad on a high end acoustic, I sell it a couple years later. I'm hoping a depart from tradition will break that cycle. Time will tell.
It's a different playing experience so far for sure. It maxes out on volume and oomph pretty early, but has incredibly high headroom at the same time. It basically encourages me to pay lighter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Beautiful guitar! I have two Emeralds so far and am looking at a third that’s like Larry Mitchell’s. You’ve selected most of the same appointments that I have. 😁

Huge fan of my McPherson Sable, and my Emerald Virtuo is most likely going to replace my electric guitar collection (including a very nice Taylor T5z I just sold, and the funny looking guitar in my profile icon). It's a utilitarian decision, largely, but there's something to be said about guitars that remain consistent. Over the past few years, I just haven't had much time to invest in my guitars.

I've been bouncing around looking for a "better" acoustic for the last twenty years. Every time I blow a wad on a high end acoustic, I sell it a couple years later. I'm hoping a depart from tradition will break that cycle. Time will tell.
It's a different playing experience so far for sure. It maxes out on volume and oomph pretty early, but has incredibly high headroom at the same time. It basically encourages me to pay lighter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Would love to hear more about what high end acoustics you've been through (and how the Emerald compares)?
I've been on an Acoustic kick and have been through a bunch. Currently have some Martins: 2014 D28, 2022 HD35, 1976 D35 and a 1968 Gibson Country Western. The vintage stuff I'll never gig. But the D28 and HD35 are my gig guitars. I really love the HD35, BUT I find myself leaving it home when I'm gigging outdoors. The vulnerability of thin wood makes me nervous...

If I could find one for like $2k I'd buy one.
The price is just a little too steep.
That said - if I had one, I'd probably never put it down.
STOP FEEDING MY GAS!!
All I can say, is that I'm blown away by it whenever I pick it up to play. I have this wonderful custom, luthier built 12-fret (with a hybrid classical design), and although that is specifically built as a true concert instrument (which it undeniably is!), there are so many things I like about the Sable, that I am actually planning to try and find a buyer for the other guitar. And, it's motivated me to actively pursue a Klos true classical, when they release it. I was very lucky to get my Sable. It seems like Musician's Friend actually made a mistake: I received both a significant discount, plus 4 years at 0 interest financing. One thing about the Sable, is because it is so responsive, it can sound and feel soft, depending on how you play. But really, there is a ton of headroom, and it's very well-balanced (I really mean audibly/acoustically, but also physically).

My Emerald Vitruo is actually very bright sounding acoustically. It's more sensitive than responsive unplugged. I also need to secure some of the wiring a little better, because there is some vibration taking place, largely because the body is so live. But overall, it's very nice, and it will likely become a primary instrument (goals!). Some day though, I hope to own a non-hollowbody carbon fiber electric as well.

I'm recovering from a hand injury at the moment, so haven't been able to really play it much yet. Definitely not enough to record something on it. Banged the first metacarpophlangeal joint on my fret hand hard enough to cause a instant hemotoma in a freak accident. Should be better in a week or two of rest and ice. Until then, it's nice to look at lol.

I'm recovering from a hand injury at the moment, so haven't been able to really play it much yet. Definitely not enough to record something on it. Banged the first metacarpophlangeal joint on my fret hand hard enough to cause a instant hemotoma in a freak accident. Should be better in a week or two of rest and ice. Until then, it's nice to look at lol.
Oh wow! That sounds pretty awful, particularly for a guitar player. I hope that heals completely and soon.

Thanks!
It really sucks when there's a beautiful new guitar mocking you to come play it.
We also have a show coming up on the 24th of this month in just over two weeks. Debating on if I'll need to pull out. I hate doing that last minute, gonna make my decision on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom