Considering selling my unit, looking for opinions

Bones86

Hi

A short little backstory:
For many years I used the Kemper Profiler, but I always wanted to create my own tones from scratch. Not that long ago I sold my Kemper and was left amp-less.
I did some research and came over programs like 'Amplitube' for PC so I tried that and was very surprised at how good those amps sounded and I could finally create tones from scratch, but a new problem arouse... I don't really like to include a computer and sit in front of a screen to make tones so after more research I found out about the FAS Axe FX and did a little search and thought wow here is something that is both a psychical unit I can use and lets me create tones from scratch. So I bought a used Axe FX ll and was impressed and prefer it ways over my Kemper (ways), but I thought I could make tones from scratch there too and I guess I can but not having control over which speaker elements go into my cab blocks and more importantly where I can place my speaker-microphones (on-axis off-center ect) really bummed me out. That is a really important element and can make or break what you are after (hence why most artists just leave their amp EQ at noon in the studio and live.

Now when I listen back, like really listen back and compare Amplitube with my Axe FX ll I prefer the Amplitube.
First off, I try using 'Dephase' set all the way to 10 yet I can not get the amp and sound to "come to me and be with me" when I play. Seems like there is a reverb somewhere even though I only have a Amp & Cab block, nothing else. It doesn't sound organic or real it, at all.

I have gone through every setting on my Axe FX ll, fiddled around with everything to maybe find a setting that would open up the sound more but nothing. I've tried the latest Ares and latest Quantum, done resets within the FX ll, restored all presets to factory ones there is just something that is seriously off. Maybe my unit is getting worn out? I've tried Output to FRFR cabs and right now I use my Gibson ES 335 (tried my Les Paul too) going straight into INSTR (very HQ instrument cable) with only AKG headphones going to Phones - that's it still there is something that I don't like.

Should I sell my unit? Is there something I'm missing? Is this familiar to you did you fix it somehow? Faulty unit? (it gets warm too even on low CPU usage presets[ 30-40 cpu load[) Tried a tons of different cabs most sound like a carburetor and I hate that. And the cleans are likewise. It is just not there I just can not connect mentally to the amps or the sound.

Appreciate your time. And really, I do NOT mean to bash on the Axe Fx here. It is still WAY better than anything Kemper or anything other, fyscial amp-like.

Tough call. Not familiar with the FX II. I can just share that I really do like Amplitube and love my Fx III. There are room for both in my studio, but I would never in a million years sell my Fractal and just go all in on Amplitube.

Tough call. Not familiar with the FX II. I can just share that I really do like Amplitube and love my Fx III. There are room for both in my studio, but I would never in a million years sell my Fractal and just go all in on Amplitube.
Thanks for your reply. I agree with that and feel the same. I got a tip on the fm3 and will have a look into that : )

Thanks for your reply. I agree with that and feel the same. I got a tip on the fm3 and will have a look into that : )

Definitely a good move, I think. Even if you don't jel with it and want to sell it, doubtful you'll even take a loss.

Hi Bones86!

Axe Fx II is a great sound factory. Amazing and can generate beautiful sounds.

However there is some steps must be observed.

. Try to set low cut and hi cut on the cab block. This way is very effective. Try low cut 80 and hi cut 7500. This is highest point for a great sound in Axe-Fx.
. Put a Peq at the end of the grid and set low cut and hi cut in the same way;
. Room levels can be great, but any a band context will be bad, for the bass will diminished and the guitar will don’t sound with all greatness. Try a Peq with 770 (q=330) with 3db and the sound get life.

About use or not a computer, it’s a matter of taste. I think edit is more easier. But some minutes with the displays every day help a lot.

Maybe you should try the Axe-Fx III to know.
The sound shaping is more easier and it has dynamic cabs, that let you move mics.

I loved my XL+ and only sell it because cpu power and to have more envelope and channels.

Anyway, teste the axe III (edit and display) before sell or buy anything. That way, you can better decide.

I hope have helped with something.
All the best, dude!!!

Hi Bones86!

Axe Fx II is a great sound factory. Amazing and can generate beautiful sounds.

However there is some steps must be observed.

. Try to set low cut and hi cut on the cab block. This way is very effective. Try low cut 80 and hi cut 7500. This is highest point for a great sound in Axe-Fx.
. Put a Peq at the end of the grid and set low cut and hi cut in the same way;
. Room levels can be great, but any a band context will be bad, for the bass will diminished and the guitar will don’t sound with all greatness. Try a Peq with 770 (q=330) with 3db and the sound get life.

About use or not a computer, it’s a matter of taste. I think edit is more easier. But some minutes with the displays every day help a lot.

Maybe you should try the Axe-Fx III to know.
The sound shaping is more easier and it has dynamic cabs, that let you move mics.

I loved my XL+ and only sell it because cpu power and to have more envelope and channels.

Anyway, teste the axe III (edit and display) before sell or buy anything. That way, you can better decide.

I hope have helped with something.
All the best, dude!!!
Thanks for your reply.

I will have a go at this now. Thanks for sharing 🙏

IMO nothing is as accurate as fractal’s current modeling but to be honest if I didn’t need a hardware unit for live playing I would just use plugins. Better workflow, cheaper, no clutter.

not having control over which speaker elements go into my cab blocks and more importantly where I can place my speaker-microphones (on-axis off-center ect) really bummed me out

Checking a current generation Fractal product is probably a good idea, just for the dyna-cab feature alone. Because that allows you to (virtually) place your microphones.

From what I’m reading, you found a sound in Amplitube that did it for you. You can’t find that sound in your Fractal Audio product.

Play the Amplitube. It’s about making music, not choosing sides. Whether you decide to sell what isn’t your primary gear of the moment is up to you and your situation.

Fractal Audio Systems make first rate products, and is my #1 option even though I own a room full of great amps. It’s not saying the amps are bad to say I’ve found what works in the FM9T. I haven’t sold everything else, but that’s just me.

It may not be a popular forum decision, and no slight to FAS is intended, but why complicate your life? You’ve found your sound. Go make music with it!

Checking a current generation Fractal product is probably a good idea, just for the dyna-cab feature alone. Because that allows you to (virtually) place your microphones.
So I CAN do that? That is what I thought but I get now that I need the current generation products from Fractal.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

From what I’m reading, you found a sound in Amplitube that did it for you. You can’t find that sound in your Fractal Audio product.

Play the Amplitube. It’s about making music, not choosing sides. Whether you decide to sell what isn’t your primary gear of the moment is up to you and your situation.

Fractal Audio Systems make first rate products, and is my #1 option even though I own a room full of great amps. It’s not saying the amps are bad to say I’ve found what works in the FM9T. I haven’t sold everything else, but that’s just me.

It may not be a popular forum decision, and no slight to FAS is intended, but why complicate your life? You’ve found your sound. Go make music with it!
I agree with you a 1000%. This is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom