FM9 Sometimes doesn't boot. (White screen)

gcarmigl

Hello, I have a FM9 turbo wich suddenly doesn't boot, it just keeps frozen with a white screen and some led lights on (I believe there should be some led color code or something). The problem appears to be randomly triggered, it just starts 6 times good, and then it shows the white screen again a couple of times. I have already resetted and reinstalled all the firmware 5.01 and dynacab trough fractal boot. So I wish to know if someone has the same issue and be able to solve it before contact fractal Support.

IMG_3262 (1).jpgIMG_3257.jpg

I contacted support and since it’s out of warranty I decided to take a look inside the fm9 by myself prior to shipping. I saw this. It appears to be problem, maybe someone here with knowledge of electronics can confirm if this is the source of my trouble. IMG_3269.jpeg

I contacted support and since it’s out of warranty I decided to take a look inside the fm9 by myself prior to shipping. I saw this. It appears to be problem, maybe someone here with knowledge of electronics can confirm if this is the source of my trouble. View attachment 132855
Looks like possible liquid damage. The white streak to the SMD Resistor? (not specialized in circuitry)

It's a 2k 1% resistor. Not sure what might have made it melt the solder like that - would have needed to be a fairly high voltage.

Looks like an input resistor to an opamp. This should not affect processor function, but could be an indicator that there is other damage on the board as well.

I have the same problem, but it seems to only happen if I'm sending a signal (i.e. noodling on the guitar) while it boots. I've trained myself to not touch anything else until it's done starting.

Wow! I had an issue similar to yours with an FM3 I had that was a non headphone jack unit pretty sure it was out of warranty cant remember. Anyway I sent it in as requested to and it cost me $90 for the repair and shipping I believe they sent me a completely new unit with the headphone out!

I contacted support and since it’s out of warranty I decided to take a look inside the fm9 by myself prior to shipping. I saw this. It appears to be problem, maybe someone here with knowledge of electronics can confirm if this is the source of my trouble. View attachment 132855
I second the opinion of some sort of liquid damage due to the white residue trail. The SMD resistor certainly looks suspect, and probably could be replaced relatively easy by someone with the skills/tools, but if it is liquid damage, there may be more damage than we can see. Time to send it back to Fractal for an assessment.

I have the same problem, but it seems to only happen if I'm sending a signal (i.e. noodling on the guitar) while it boots. I've trained myself to not touch anything else until it's done starting.
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. FM9T on FW 5.01. Just running through scales while it was booting and then it just locked up. Heart dropped, panic mode. Turned it off, waited a bit and back on and no issues since.

Back
Top Bottom