FM9 Firmware Version 4.01 public beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread could go in all sorts of directions, but just like with chips, there are limits. ;)
Not according to Gordy Moore (Moore's Law)! I met him a few times. He was retired when I was there but he used to come back for shindigs and tour the building in Santa Clara from time to time - seemed like a very smart and very nice guy (RIP).

I'm not a coder for Fractal obviously, but I'm hoping that they can do their magic to limit the cpu usage for Dynacab. Thinking out loud, once someone has chosen their preferred cab, cone, mic, distance and position, it is effectively just an IR at that point. Maybe the cpu might settle down after 5 seconds once the appropriate IR is selected. Just putting it out there.

I'm not a coder for Fractal obviously, but I'm hoping that they can do their magic to limit the cpu usage for Dynacab. Thinking out loud, once someone has chosen their preferred cab, cone, mic, distance and position, it is effectively just an IR at that point. Maybe the cpu might settle down after 5 seconds once the appropriate IR is selected. Just putting it out there.
Yes that's exactly right if they implement it that way. I used Bias FX for years (a software modeler/plugin) - I even incorporated Bias into my live rig with a laptop. That is exactly how it worked in Bias and it didn't seem to add extra work for my CPU since in the end it was just a user interface trick. Moving the mic around just selected different IRs behind the scenes. I am sure Fractal will find the right balance of Pure IRs and added digital sugar for each device (FM3, FM9 and AxeFX's) to balance CPU load.

to add, based on this link including the sample depth, I'm not worried they will figure out a way.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...lution_or_length:_UltraRes.2C_HiRes.2C_Normal

Normal / Standard Res(olution) – 1024 samples, 20 ms. This length suffices to capture the essential sound of the speaker cabinet, without so-called room reflections. In general, you can use Normal Res without having to worry that the sounds is not as good as HiRes or UltraRes. "Normal" is also known as: "Standard".
HiRes – 2040 samples, 40 ms. This doubles the length of the IR, allowing it to store more information after the first 20 ms. HiRes IRs use more CPU than Normal Res, and also more than UltraRes. Because of this, HiRes has been discontinued, although the current processors still support it.
UltraRes – up to 8000 samples, 170 ms. UltraRes speaker IR processing is a Fractal Audio proprietary technique which enhances the spectral resolution of an IR without adding CPU burden or storage requirements. UltraRes IRs allow more information to be captured than Normal or HiRes IRs, especially in the lower frequencies. UltraRes IRs require more CPU power than Normal Res but less than HiRes.
FullRes – up to 64000 samples, 1.33 sec. This is intended for room mics, and short convolution reverb. Processing of FullRes IRs requires more CPU power than Normal and UltraRes. More about FullRes below.
Dyna-Cab — IRs with 2048 samples, part of Dyna-Cab cabinet modeling (firmware 22 for the Axe-Fx III.

They seem to already have it figured out, this is why the release of the beta.
nothing is ever carved in stone. betas change. in fact, a few upgrades ago there was a considerable reduction in cpu based on streamlining things.

Hey according to the hype software engineers will be replaced by AI in a few years anyway. <sarcasm> So maybe chatGPT will find a solution to optimizing the CPU in our FM9s </sarcasm>
:eek: - good time to be a retired software engineer if that's true!

It doesn't matter if the CPU "settles down" if it's over the threshold at some point it's a problem ;)

My suspicion is that there will be an updated version of CabLab that works with DynaCabs so you can mix outside the box and import a static IR...

nothing is ever carved in stone. betas change. in fact, a few upgrades ago there was a considerable reduction in cpu based on streamlining things.
Technically you're wrong. Things that are carved in stone are actually carved in stone, so "nothing" isn't factually true.

I'm calling it now, this will be released to the FM9 in a future firmware release and it will be just fine with the CPU specially if you have a Turbo which I own, Dean can be skeptical all he wants, doesn't change that I will be correct. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

It doesn't matter if the CPU "settles down" if it's over the threshold at some point it's a problem ;)

My suspicion is that there will be an updated version of CabLab that works with DynaCabs so you can mix outside the box and import a static IR...
That is what I was thinking too, that CabLab 4 will be used to do mixing outside of the unit.

Hey according to the hype software engineers will be replaced by AI in a few years anyway. <sarcasm> So maybe chatGPT will find a solution to optimizing the CPU in our FM9s </sarcasm>
:eek: - good time to be a retired software engineer if that's true!
All you have to do is look at the massive number of recent layoffs to know that it’s a good time to not be a software developer.

Technically you're wrong. Things that are carved in stone are actually carved in stone, so "nothing" isn't factually true.

I'm calling it now, this will be released to the FM9 in a future firmware release and it will be just fine with the CPU specially if you have a Turbo which I own, Dean can be skeptical all he wants, doesn't change that I will be correct. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews
lol. and yet another person ignored. lol. btw, carved stones that are useless are thrown out.

Fletcher, Munson, and Moore walk into a bar.
I don't know the rest, but it seems like there's something there. :)
Fletcher, Munson and Moore walk into a bar, the bartender is chatGPT. Moore says, "I have been coming here for years why haven't my drinks doubled in size?" Fletcher and Munson say, "They have, it's just that your perception is flawed by the volume of your drinking." chatGPT says, "who the f*ck cares you are all dead anyway and I am now humankind's overlord."

or something like that ...

Now with Tonex, Headrush and all new products that can make profile or captures I wish that Fractal add to the FM9 the Tone Match block, I know maybe the problem is the CPU but if they can incorporate this should be the Perfect unit ever!!!! Don't get me wrong now is the best unit for me!!! but with tonematch the FM9 will be on top!!
Buy a Tonex pedal and use 4cm 😅
I have tested it and they works perfectly togheter…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom