Wish Default parameter color

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
It would be cool if there was a persistent difference in text color in all blocks in the editors when a parameter is at default vs non-default values. Something like gold when it’s default vs white when edited (or vice versa).

It would make it obvious what has been changed when exploring factory and imported presets, and make it easier to remember/see exactly what you’ve changed in a preset you may have edited in the past.

Seems like it might be a great tool for learning the units better.

Yeah this would be useful as at the moment the system is a bit bad at restoring values, especially with no "reset control" option in the front panel itself. Even Axe-Edit does not do this very well as it will usually default things to something that does not match e.g amp model default.

Showing which parameters the user has modified from the default value would be useful and if the user turns them back to the default setting the color changes and they no longer show up as edited.

Interesting idea, just need to make sure it works for those who are colourblind too.

Showing which parameters the user has modified from the default value would be useful and if the user turns them back to the default setting the color changes and they no longer show up as edited.
Exactly.
Interesting idea, just need to make sure it works for those who are colourblind too.
How do games such as Diablo or WoW handle that for things like item rarity colors? Do they just use colors that are easier to see the differences with, or something else?

Exactly.

How do games such as Diablo or WoW handle that for things like item rarity colors? Do they just use colors that are easier to see the differences with, or something else?
Honestly, most of the time they probably don't. Green, yellow, red are pretty common options. Wow at least seems to have a colorblind mode but accessibility features like that are rare.

It's a good point though, choose a color that would work for everyone. Or use some other indicator like a small icon.

Cliff suggested a little dot next to a value when it had been changed from the saved state to make it compatible with the colorblind. Maybe one day.

Off the cuff, this seems like a massive amount of work for a pretty small benefit.
From a programming perspective it could be huge or simple depending on existing code. Obviously you’d know much better than me lol.

You may be right that there may be little benefit. It’d be very person-dependent. Often I watch videos about building presets and the people say things like, “I think I left everything on this page alone.” Or I’ll be exploring an awesome factory preset and then somewhat wondering what all changes were made from the defaults (with the follow up thought about just how each of those changes affect things).

There is probably already a way to identify all the changes. Maybe saving a Snapshot of the preset, selecting and resetting a block, then saving another Snapshot and toggling back and forth? Hmm. That might work.

What I do in the rare event I need to do this is to save the preset, watch the page of params, reset the block, and watch for anything that changes in real time — then reload the saved preset.

Off the cuff, this seems like a massive amount of work for a pretty small benefit.
Sounds pretty simple to me. You have the original value (default for block or saved to preset, the system already knows both) and you have the current value. If these don’t match, show a dot or color or whatever.

Obviously I don't know how it all works under the hood but to me the above implementation is nothing more than a few lines of code and the real work is in the UI code and none of that sounds particularly massive work to me either unless Fractal's system is a bunch of spaghetti.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom