NGD: Strandberg Boden

You might want to check with them. My local GC didn't have any when I was there a couple weeks back and I've never seen one there before.
Yeah, I didn’t mean to say every GC has them. I bought mine directly from Strandberg. Since then they’ve gotten space with GC, Musicians Friend and Sweetwater. Actually thats stunning growth in such a short time. Quality has always been there, no matter where they’re built, and now it seems supply’s catching up.
Somewhere, Ned Steinberger is chewing on his own fist, cursing the day Gibson ruined his life.

So to resuscitate this old thread, I got myself a multiscale 7 string guitar (Kiesel OM7), and I find myself liking multiscale a whole lot, to the point of considering thinning the rest of the herd and getting a 6-string multiscale as well. Common problem with "regular" 7-s is that the low B is like a rubber band, and it also doesn't stay in tune all that well due to insufficient tension. Those problems basically disappear with multiscale. Reach does not seem to be an issue even for me, and I don't have Paul Gilbert foot long fingers. Another unexpected benefit is that because of the slant on the bridge you naturally palm mute the low strings considerably more. All in all, my worries were unfounded, and the guitar quickly became my favorite.

I've been thinking of trying a multiscale but my concern is for more stretchy chords especially when played in lower positions, it seems that the fan of the frets would be in the opposite direction making it harder, for example a drop-2 Ab maj7 in 2nd inversion: x 3 5 1 4 x

I've been thinking of trying a multiscale but my concern is for more stretchy chords especially when played in lower positions, it seems that the fan of the frets would be in the opposite direction making it harder, for example a drop-2 Ab maj7 in 2nd inversion: x 3 5 1 4 x
It hasn't been a problem for me. I don't have big hands, but I can still voice those stretch voicings comfortably. The difference in scale lengths isn't very dramatic. The biggest effects are the nice tension and authority of the lowest strings, and the ease of bending notes on the higher strings.

Pretty much my experience as well. Although the difference between low and high E seems to be greater on the Kiesel.

Tried that particular chord: feels about as uncomfortable as it does on a “regular” guitar, but I can do it just fine on the Kiesel.

img_2923.jpg

It's actually the higher position with close slanted frets that sometimes affects my playing with multiscales. It's necessary to change fingering when stacking fingers on the same fret with adjacent strings.

Try playing the three finger A chord shape up high somewhere and you'll see what I mean. You'll have to change the fingering as the usual slant of your fingertips with the 1-2-3 fingering goes against the multiscale's fret slant.

It's actually the higher position with close slanted frets that sometimes affects my playing with multiscales. It's necessary to change fingering when stacking fingers on the same fret with adjacent strings.

Try playing the three finger A chord shape up high somewhere and you'll see what I mean. You'll have to change the fingering as the usual slant of your fingertips with the 1-2-3 fingering goes against the multiscale's fret slant.
I know exactly what you’re saying, I sent back a Boden Prog Strandberg recently because I could not play a three note chord at the 12th fret. In my opinion, Strandberg really screwed up by making the neutral fret all the way at the nut and only doing a half inch difference in scale. My hands are medium sized and I don’t see how anyone can play 3 note chords on that instrument above the 10th fret. Multiscale instruments are not supposed to force you to change your entire fretting and technique. If Strandberg had either made the scale 25.5 and 26.5, or put the neutral/90 degree fret at the middle of the neck, I might’ve been able to adapt...

Last edited:
Over the past few years, I'veI spent a lot of time looking at, and playing, various models of headless guitars. I decided to purchase a Strandberg Boden neck-through model, with HSH Suhr pickups. The guitar arrived a few days ago, and I've been putting this instrument through its paces with the AxeFX III. In addition to the distinctive sculpted body shape, Strandbergs have a unique back-of-neck profile with three curving trapezoids, designed to give the player an ideal thumb placement while working up the neck. It also has fanned frets, and a Multiscale Trem,
So, with all those nonstandard characteristics, what's it like to play? Honestly, it took me about sixty seconds to get comfortable with the fanned frets and neck profile. It is perfectly balanced, both when on the step, and when sitting. It has a chambered body, and the instrument weighs 4 pounds 10 ounces. The neck-through profile is very nice, and has great tone and sustain.
I don't necessarily love a satin finish on guitars with a figured top, as it somewhat flattens the depth of the wood. That said, most of my guitars are painted a solid color (usually black), so this amounts to a matter of taste.
I took a number of photos of the guitar with my iPhone, and am also including a few that were taken by Sweetwater, from home I made the purchase. They always take pro photos of the instruments in the Guitar Gallery, and they sent me high-resolution shots so that I could virtually inspect this specific guitar.

Also, I will refer to this instrument as "The Zoidberg" Wub wub wub!
Hey there! I had this same exact guitar in the same exact color a year ago. I absolutely loved the weight, look, feel, sound, everything. However I had an issue with grooves wearing in the zero fret after only 3 weeks, and also had 2 high e strings unwind from the ball end (maybe caused by their tuning system). Strandberg Support didn't seem to want to do anything about it, so I sent it back to Sweetwater. The reason I'm asking is because I hope that was a fluke, because I'd love to buy another one someday. How has your guitar held up? Any quirky issues like I had?

I find it so strange you guys find 3-note chords awkward in the upper register on the Bodens because I find playing 4+ note chords like 7th chords and their inversions in the upper register easier because of how the multiscale "kicks out" the bottom frets. Regarding fingering an A chord with three fingers, have you guys tried just barring those three notes with your index finger's first knuckle? Makes life much easier.

Hey there! I had this same exact guitar in the same exact color a year ago. I absolutely loved the weight, look, feel, sound, everything. However I had an issue with grooves wearing in the zero fret after only 3 weeks, and also had 2 high e strings unwind from the ball end (maybe caused by their tuning system). Strandberg Support didn't seem to want to do anything about it, so I sent it back to Sweetwater. The reason I'm asking is because I hope that was a fluke, because I'd love to buy another one someday. How has your guitar held up? Any quirky issues like I had?
I haven't had those issues, and I've been using that guitar pretty regularly. I think you correct in assuming it was fluke, and I'm sorry to hear that it gave you problems. So far it's been the best guitar in the collection for me.

I've got a couple Bodens that I've been putting lots of hours on over the past year and they haven't shown any wear(yet). When I've had to contact Strandberg support they've been very helpful and responsive.

surprising since they are stainless steel frets

I find it so strange you guys find 3-note chords awkward in the upper register on the Bodens because I find playing 4+ note chords like 7th chords and their inversions in the upper register easier because of how the multiscale "kicks out" the bottom frets. Regarding fingering an A chord with three fingers, have you guys tried just barring those three notes with your index finger's first knuckle? Makes life much easier.
Some chords are easier and some are harder, and some harder ones require technique modification. The A chord example was just to convey an easy example for everyone to visualize the issue, obviously you can bar it.

Grooves wearing in the zero fret is a common issue among guitars with zero frets. The ball end unwinding seems to be a fluke with your strings, never had it happen with mine.

Grooves wearing in the zero fret is a common issue among guitars with zero frets. The ball end unwinding seems to be a fluke with your strings, never had it happen with mine.
Shouldn't happen on stainless steel after 3 weeks though. I've been playing my Vigier for a year now and no noticeable wear.

Shouldn't happen on stainless steel after 3 weeks though. I've been playing my Vigier for a year now and no noticeable wear.
Agreed. I'm guessing they were already there coming from Sweetwater and he just happened to notice it after 3 weeks, otherwise it makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom