Preset Per Song = Nightmare?

fractalz

Power User
I'm building up a set of patches for a cover band and have started down the preset-per-song path. There are some benefits like being able to set the tempos and custom delays for songs that require it. However, it is becoming a maintenance nightmare if I want to make small changes.

I'm wondering what the collective's experience is on dealing with patches for large set lists...

I'm debating whether to dial in a few patches based around amps (Fender, AC-30, Marshall, etc.) and then switch between these based on the "flavor" of the song with maybe a few exceptions for specific esoteric songs...

Thoughts & Experiences welcome!

When dealing with lots of song presets, always use global blocks. As for how many presets you need, it depends on the complexities of the songs involved. I'm also not a big fan of using many amps, you don't want your sound to jump all over the mix. If a regular guitarist can do an entire show with one amp, you can do too with one amp model. Well, probably at least a clean and a dirty one.

If you use something like BandHelper to change presets, you can send the tempo that way with either wireless Bluetooth midi or over USB.

It really depends on how far you want to go with covering the song. As mentioned above if you can get away with a generalization with one amp and using drives or XY switching you can cover a lot of ground while sharing the same effects.

If you are covering a specific song with a signature sound say Boston for example, then you don't have much choice but to build a preset that convincingly gets you in that neighborhood.

Instead of building on preset per song what I do for songs that have similar sounds, effects and gain structures is to build my setlist around the presets that can fit as many songs in the list! For specific sounds I have that one special preset.

It makes it much easier moving from one sound/effect to another as you play through the set with minimal preset changes. There is some give and take with this line of thought but for the most part it does work.

I use preset per song with the Rush Tribute I'm doing and it's pretty challenging keeping everything leveled. I do like having the ability to do anything I want effect wise and amp wise per song to cover all the eras. Using PC Routing makes set lists a snap as I am using a Morningstar for extra control. I just step through each song.

For regular top 40/corporate gigs I use an Atomic Amplifire 12 and find 10 sounds plus a Boost switch and a tap tempo is good enough to cover everything.

Back
Top Bottom