Charlie Hunter...are you kidding me?

hippietim

Axe-Master
He did a clinic at the International Musicians Summit here in Durham, NC yesterday. What he plays is truly bass and guitar at the same time. His instrument has split outputs. His playing is stunning. And he builds it up more and more. You’re immediately impressed. Then it gets better. And better. Just when you’re already thoroughly blown away with him throwing down a ridiculous bass groove and funk rhythm, he starts doing the Benson soloing and singing at the same time and never stops the groove. I’ve seen a number of fantastic players that can do all parts of a song and do percussion and such, but the level of sophistication of his playing and his improvising is just a whole other level.

Eric Gales told Charlie he made him want to sell all his gear. I highly recommend you go down the YouTube rabbit hole watching Charlie Hunter. Use a good sound system instead of your cellphone speaker so you can hear his bass playing.

Yeah I try to see him as often as possible, he has appeared at the GroundUp Fest in South Beach several times, once sitting in with Snarky puppy.....transcendent.

Back
Top Bottom