Get Out the Horn

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi Everyone,
I'm a violin axe user. I have created a patch that morphs, or attempts to morphs my violin into a trumpet.
Here's a recording of the output:

I made a separate drive block and used a Treble Boost and triggered the drive as described below. This seems even a bit closer in sound to a trumpet to me.............thoughts?

I've attached they preset file as well.

My approach as to
1) Use an ADSR modifier to drive an amp (the input drive) at the beginning of each note to get what is something like a light distortion (edge of breakup) on the first 10ms of each note
2) Use some band pass filters to modify the tone or timbre

P L E A S E - give it a listen, give me some honest feedback - but also some suggestions on what might help fx wise on making it more like a trumpet sound

P L E A S E - do not tell me to go learn trumpet; I didn't pay all this money for the axe-fx to go learn trumpet

It would be nice to have some harmonics filters to modify the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. harmonics of notes. I realize these are new ideas and perhaps somewhat speculative, but I would love to see a block in the axe that could filter harmonics (not an old skewl EQ) something like this:

Thanks again for ideas on how to make it sound more like a trumpet!
AJ

Attachments

• Fake Trumpet.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Its a cool tone, but still sounds more like a stringed instrument than a trumpet to me...

"Best" trumpet tone I've heard is from the Rotobone fuzz, it can get that very brassy tone, at least with guitar. Don't know quite how it would sound on violin, and you can't really emulate starved voltage fuzz in the Axe, but if your willing to run an external pedal, I think it would be pretty spot on.

I have a BA Zippy which is similar and a lot cheaper, but the PTD is probably the best thing going

Check out about 0:25 or 0:55 seconds into the video for some trumpet tones

Maybe change the attack? It still sounds like a stringed instrument.
Agreed.

I've gotten trumpet like tones by using the Envelope Controller and a Filter block... Add in a Fuzz drive of some sort can help, too.

I wasn't chasing a particular tone, just experimenting, so it's not something I saved.

Back
Top Bottom