Morningstar MC6... Genius...

crankster

Picked up a Morningstar MC6 this month and it is one very cool piece of gear. 30 banks with 6 presets each, I'm using it as a very simple setup to select between only 6 presets and using a Mission Engineering SP-1 for wah and reverb mix depending on the patch. I upgraded from an FCB1010... That thing was HUGE...

What are you guys using for MIDI controllers alternative to the Fractal controller? (which is way too big for me)

They are awesome. Had one for awhile. Small and versatile.

I haven't even started using the different button characteristics (long hold, double tap, ect)... Just needed a simple lightweight setup to go on a Pedaltrain Jr board with the SP-1. The Mission pedal is still incoming... Maybe another week or so. Will post pics of my "mini" midi board then

How is it compared to the FCB1010? I'm a total noob to the foot controllers and see that the FAS controller for the XL II + is no longer available. I was looking at both of these but leaning towards the Behringer because of price, but kind of worried the learning curve will be too much. Did you have a difficult time with it vs the MC6?

How is it compared to the FCB1010? I'm a total noob to the foot controllers and see that the FAS controller for the XL II + is no longer available. I was looking at both of these but leaning towards the Behringer because of price, but kind of worried the learning curve will be too much. Did you have a difficult time with it vs the MC6?

The FCB1010 is less of a pain with Uno + Ripwerx once I knew those were options, but was still painful for me to figure out as it was my first midi unit. I eventually had it setup as top row effects, auto wah and vol, and bottom row as preset select, using the bank buttons to go up and down a bank of 5 selectable presets at a time with the Axe FX.

The MC6 is very easy in comparison, took me 5 minutes to get banks of patches + selectable presets going. You can setup each bank however you want which is amazing, CC + Preset Change in 1 bank if you wanted. Right now I use 1 bank to select between 6 presets and then use other banks as selectable effects. Mission SP-1 incoming as well... Pedalboard pics to come on my OP once I get it together.

You'll swap back and forth from computer to axe figuring it out but you'll have it way quicker than learning the FCB1010, especially if you're not using Ripwerx software for that unit. The Morningstar software makes it a breeze and I really like the small size of the unit.

OK, thanks for the info! I was also looking at EurekaPROM. Seems like something that you download to the FCB to make it compatible with the controller without having to program stuff manually. Not sure if that will still be way over my head or not

For the FCB1010 I highly recommend the Eurekaprom. It's a 2 minute job to install the chip and it's already programmed beautifully for AxeFx. It's really hard to beat the price of the behringer.

For people using the MC6 with the Axe-Fx III.....how do you have it setup? What are you controlling with it?

Hi geoda
I was looking at the Aussie distributor today on my never ending quest for a fc12 (still no stock gandammit)- and I saw they had stocks of the previus unit available. Shop.independentmusic.com.au
Thanks
Pauly

Hi geoda
I was looking at the Aussie distributor today on my never ending quest for a fc12 (still no stock gandammit)- and I saw they had stocks of the previus unit available. Shop.independentmusic.com.au
Thanks
Pauly
It looks like they are sold out, but I went with the FCB1010 and EurekaPROM. Thank you for looking though!

Here's how I use it in conjunction with an FC-6. FC-6 for scene controls and other 'real-time' things. MC6 for switching presets, accessing tuner, etc.

Switch A: Decrement 1 preset
Switch B: Decrement 5 presets
Switch C: Not used
Switch D: Increment 1 preset
Switch E: Increment 5 presets
Switch F: Tuner on/off

The MIDI CC Value for the tuner is configurable on the Axe-Fx III. It needs to match the value being sent by the MC6. I'm using 121.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• MC6 Bank 1.syx
    5.2 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom