How many playing on Headrush 108’s?

Dunconia

Inspired
Who is playing on Headrush frfr’s and liking them? I ordered a pair of 108’s off Reverb to check out. I’ve heard decent things. Also, has anyone tried to play bass through them? I get that a bigger speaker would be better, but I decided to try for the size and price.

I just started using a single aimed up from the left in front of me. My band wants equal mix of everything in PA and monitors, and don't understand that I need to hear just a bit more of my guitar in at least one monitor so that I can hear the mix between my guitar and synth sounds, so I got it to accentuate the setup we already use for our live shows. I do the mixing from an iPad in front of me, so they can have what they want and I get what I want too.

And yes, for the size and cost, they are quite effective for what I use them for.

I had the FR108 and found it was ok. I had an issue with several of my clean patches at a higher volume when using it as my monitor. It would cause a flubbing sound. No problem with the clean patch running through my ASM-10 at all. I was hoping this one would work for me but it looks like it is not.

I guess I’ll be checking out a pair in a few days. I really don’t need anything to be that loud anyway. These are for fun and jamming at people’s houses without breaking my back or bank.

...My band wants equal mix of everything in PA and monitors, and don't understand that I need to hear just a bit more of my guitar in at least one monitor so that I can hear the mix between my guitar and synth sounds...

Our band is pretty much the opposite. I run FOH from the stage and everyone has a monitor mix customized for them, generally accenting their vocals and instrument. My monitor mix is a clone of the FOH mix, so I can make sure my electric guitar is balanced with the other guitarist (who only acoustic), and also be sure the vocals are balanced with the instruments. The other guitarist and bass run at essentially the same volume all night, and I constantly adjust where my guitar sits in the mix with an expression pedal on a volume block. There are times where I need to be under everyone else, and I've gotten accustomed to sometimes barely being able to hear myself. (I have no backline on stage.)

Our band is pretty much the opposite. I run FOH from the stage and everyone has a monitor mix customized for them, generally accenting their vocals and instrument. My monitor mix is a clone of the FOH mix, so I can make sure my electric guitar is balanced with the other guitarist (who only acoustic), and also be sure the vocals are balanced with the instruments. The other guitarist and bass run at essentially the same volume all night, and I constantly adjust where my guitar sits in the mix with an expression pedal on a volume block. There are times where I need to be under everyone else, and I've gotten accustomed to sometimes barely being able to hear myself. (I have no backline on stage.)
Fortunately we have one other guy in our band, the other guitarist, who understands it this way. I just need to show him how to use the iPad software to control our Mackie board and we can both have some control over the mix. One gig and the only feedback i got during the show was from a buddy who plays bass in another band and does sound a lot. After the show, my guys started complaining about things they couldn't hear, etc. And our singer was so excited about his lighting setup he had that setup before we had speakers where they needed to be. Total fiasco, but it will get better if we plan out things in advance better. For as bad as it was technically, we did well, and it completely sold me on going direct for the types of gigs we are doing.

Who is playing on Headrush frfr’s and liking them? I ordered a pair of 108’s off Reverb to check out. I’ve heard decent things. Also, has anyone tried to play bass through them? I get that a bigger speaker would be better, but I decided to try for the size and price.

I have one arriving today...I will be running it in a modified W/D/W setup with a similar sized Laney FRFR and a PRS Archon....so 2 FRFR's under 20 Lbs. and a 25 Lb. Tube amp...I am using one of my Turbosound IQ10 speakers in place of the Headrush now and it sounds glorious!

The Headrush should be somewhere between the IQ10 and the Alto as they are all made by the parent company ...InMusic but with a Flatter response....I hope.

I will let you know more tomorrow!

Same. If I can’t really hear myself, I know I’m at the right mix for FOH. Some people can’t understand this concept. ;)

I have one arriving today...I will be running it in a modified W/D/W setup with a similar sized Laney FRFR and a PRS Archon....so 2 FRFR's under 20 Lbs. and a 25 Lb. Tube amp...I am using one of my Turbosound IQ10 speakers in place of the Headrush now and it sounds glorious!

The Headrush should be somewhere between the IQ10 and the Alto as they are all made by the parent company ...InMusic but with a Flatter response....I hope.

I will let you know more tomorrow!
Time to wake up the neighborhood! I’m still waiting on mine shipping.

Same. If I can’t really hear myself, I know I’m at the right mix for FOH. Some people can’t understand this concept. ;)
Exactly. I only have mine set with guitar and synth a hair louder so i can tell the mix of my synth volume compared to guitar. Once inget our other guitarist who doesn't also play synth involved trained on how our board works he'll have a bit more control of final mix.

Back to topic, if you want them to sound like a guitar cab when you are playing alone in a room, i can't offer you any advice, but as a personal monitor to accentuate an already decent live PA rig, I think it works well.

Exactly. I only have mine set with guitar and synth a hair louder so i can tell the mix of my synth volume compared to guitar. Once inget our other guitarist who doesn't also play synth involved trained on how our board works he'll have a bit more control of final mix.

Back to topic, if you want them to sound like a guitar cab when you are playing alone in a room, i can't offer you any advice, but as a personal monitor to accentuate an already decent live PA rig, I think it works well.
I’m not even trying to chase the cab in a room sound. Just a good sound.

Time to wake up the neighborhood! I’m still waiting on mine shipping.

First impressions tell me you won't be disappointed!

I had it on the floor at first and it has more bass than it should in that position but that is to be expected given the power doubling effect of that position on the low end, but nothing I can't handle with some minor tweaks but I will use it mostly on a mini stand at about 4' high anyway
In that position it throws better as well, the balance between the Laney and the Headrush is good at low to medium volumes but I suspect the HR will outblast it at higher levels...tomorrow.

The HR doesn't sound like it needs to be broken in as much as most speakers but we will see after a few more hours at higher levels tomorrow.

So far it sounds like a quality FRFR that costs half as much as the Laney which cost half as much as a CLR, lower noise floor than I expected given the reviews...and no "Flubbyness" yet...!

I think i need to crank mine up without the PA and hear what it sounds like by itself tonight. Gotta get the new firmware installed, so that is gonna add up to some fun this evening.

I think i need to crank mine up without the PA and hear what it sounds like by itself tonight. Gotta get the new firmware installed, so that is gonna add up to some fun this evening.
They make firmware updates for a speaker?

They make firmware updates for a speaker?
No, talking about the latest firmware for Axe-fx iii. Been so busy with work i haven't had a chance to play with it, so figured I'd install it and crank the monitor. Got as far as the firmware through the mains last night, but today is another day.

The big question is -does it sound like a pa speaker???
My Xitone and CLR are waaay better than my high end RCF which I used to use years ago. Remind me is the Headrush made for IR's or just a compact pa speaker?

The big question is -does it sound like a pa speaker???
My Xitone and CLR are waaay better than my high end RCF which I used to use years ago. Remind me is the Headrush made for IR's or just a compact pa speaker?
My understanind is that it was designed to work with IRs. I have only used mine as a close up sidefill along with the full PA and for that it works. Don't really care how it sounds on its own to be honest. It does what i need it to do. Others seem to indicate that it also sounds pretty good by itswlf with IRs.

From Sweetwater

Full-range, Flat-response Amplification for Your Amp Modeler
The HeadRush FRFR-112 powered guitar cabinet delivers a full-range, flat-response speaker platform to help you bring your modeled guitar tones to life. It's equipped with a custom 12" speaker and a high-frequency driver with 2,000 watts of peak power on tap for clear, punchy amplification with huge headroom. Just connect your pedalboard or multi-effects processor, and you can expect consistent tone at any volume level. For stage convenience, an XLR output allows you to send your tone directly to the PA system. If you've perfected your electric guitar tone through your pedalboard or modeling processor, the HeadRush FRFR-112 is a great way to amplify it.

Full range, flat response for amp modelers and emulators
If you use an amplifier and effects modeling processor like the HeadRush Pedalboard, you want to hear your crafted amp tones without them being colored by yet another amplifier. That's where the HeadRush FRFR-112 powered speaker cabinet comes in — its full-range, flat-response performance means you hear your modeled tones exactly as you've constructed them, at any volume level. And guitarists at Sweetwater are impressed with its ample power supply (2,000 watts peak power), which guarantees punchy, clear tone with all the headroom you could ask for.

Built-in stage convenience
Many performing guitarists want to send their modeled guitar tone straight to the PA while monitoring from an amp on stage. The HeadRush FRFR-112 makes this easy — an XLR output is ready to send the mix of its two inputs directly to the PA system mixer (or to chain multiple FRFR-112 cabinets together). Also handy is the Contour EQ switch, which helps cut excessive mud and rumble you'll encounter on some stages.

Flexible positioning options
The HeadRush FRFR-112 powered speaker features a tilt-back cabinet design, allowing you to use it like a stage monitor. It also features a pole mounting point for use with any standard speaker pole stand, so you can position it at head height if need be. This means the FRFR-112 could also be the ideal personal monitor for keyboardists, drummers, and anyone else that requires clear, powerful, pole-mountable monitoring.

HeadRush FRFR-112 Powered Speaker Cabinet Features:
  • 1 x 12", 2,000-watt (peak) powered speaker cabinet for electric guitar
  • Full-range, flat-response performance is perfect for amplifying modeled guitar tones
  • Also excels as a powerful, transparent stage monitor
  • Tilt-back design for floor use, can also be pole mounted
  • Two XLR/TRS combo inputs with volume controls and clip indicators
  • XLR output for chaining powered cabinets, or for sending your mix direct to the PA system
  • Contour EQ switch helps compensate for excessive

Back
Top Bottom