Re-Amping previously recorded dry tracks

Ripley

I want to re-amp some previously recorded (dry) guitar tracks through my Axe Fx 2XL+. The tracks were recorded using an audio Interface card, not the Axe, and the signal is much hotter than a dry track would be if recorded using the Axe.
I know that a dry track recorded using the Axe has a relatively low level, and that this should not be increased, as it is already at the optimum level for re-amping through the Axe.

But for dry tracks recorded using other methods, what is the correct procedure for setting the USB input level to the Axe for re-amping? What level should this be?

Reduce DI track level or Axe input/gate block level until a familiar preset sounds like you'd expect (if you had played that guitar directly into Axe-FX).

If you still have the guitar and/or interface (and remember any relevant input settings) there are ways to get a better idea of how much gain would be the "right" amount. I wouldn't worry too much about that, except maybe if tracking new parts/fixes through these presets with the same guitar direct to Axe-FX.

Back
Top Bottom