LUNA Display AxeEdit on iPad!

Tom Morris

Power User
So I have been seeing this advertised for the past couple weeks and looks real promising. Basically it's a dongle for Mac's either USB C or a Thunderbolt display port versions. It allows you to mirror or add another display to your mac using an iPad as the display and be able to control the mac from the iPad. This should allow you to completely use all the features of AxeEdit from an iPad over wifi or USB. I ordered one today and should be in by the weekend. I will report back on how well it works once it comes in.

The dongle cost $79.99 the Mac and iPad apps are free, no windows version.

https://lunadisplay.com

Yeah, it says so, but it still works over WiFi, and the dongle itself can't speed up an iPad's display refresh rate. Curious how it works.

Duet is unusable for me. The Luna works how I want this to work.

Did you install the latest update (December or something)?
It's much faster now (hardware acc.). Still needs a cable though, but that's not really an issue for me.

If Luna is as fast or faster, AND wireless, then it's worth its price.

Did you install the latest update (December or something)?
It's much faster now (hardware acc.). Still needs a cable though, but that's not really an issue for me.

If Luna is as fast or faster, AND wireless, then it's worth its price.
yeah, i've been trying to get it to work. i'm pretty good with this sorta thing, and it's just not usable. i'll revisit. but i got the Luna and it's exactly how i want things to work.

Ah, you have the Luna already. I didn’t realise.
yeah a while ago now. Duet support and Twitter was just not answering anything for a while, and i got fed up. they already have my money so whatever, right? :D

it went downhill as soon as they changed to the AirPlay method... for a hardwired connection. *shrug*

Luna came in today. Pretty damn slick and works really well for AxeEdit3 on an iPad Pro 12.9. Cant double click for things like setting or editing a modifier but you can still get there through the controllers menu. You could buy Luna's other app AstroPad designed more for drawing that gives you quite a few gesture based controls and right click but for another $80 I can live without it. Making adjustments on rotary knobs is smooth as glass.

One thing I'm trying to figure out which i haven't been able to get to work is to create a network on the iMac and connect to it from the iPad so I don't need an external wifi router.

Worked fine the second time I tried it but I changed the channel from 11 to 36. Beats me but it works. Stepped away for a bit and come back to the screen saver running on both, jaw dropping In tell ya.

just an update - Duet somehow let me know there's an update, so i updated. it works as expected now, without the AirPlay thing. not sure when this happened, or why. but it's way better.

glad i have both the Luna and Duet. i still give the edge to Luna.

Back
Top Bottom