Loudest Vid on Youtube? Shirley Manson Content ;)

gigawatt

Experienced
OK here's the deal, take a look at the Video until at least after the first chorus, on my interface the meters are just tickling the red, then, when the chorus kicks in the meters are completely pegged, I don't notice any distortion so it's quite dynamic and intense. I love this band, and the singer even moreso. ;) My browser won't play Youtube on my laptop right now cuz of the situation it's in, but I can get you most of the way there, just click the first vid at the top of the page, if you dare...and be prepared. :D

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=garbage+magnatized+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

"Empty" and "Vow" were peaking the red too but the one above from what I could tell had my woofers creating an artificial earthquake!

I am really digging this band, just listened to the entire "Version 2.0" album. Shirley is just so... I should have stayed in school longer so I'd have the words that would do her justice... Haunting, mesmerizing, addictive, sexy, and the band, super talented and damn lucky they got her. My old band covered "Only Happy When It Rains" but we were doing so many other things I didn't get a chance to check out more of their work, except hearing "Stupid Girl" occasionally on the radio. I just love her voice on that one, where's the fainting emoji? Sorry if you all are getting sick of my Shirley obsession, but I can't help it, she's a Godess. Wait, I forgot where I am, among rock stars :D, anyone here know her ;);)?

I like Garbage.

But ... let´s get nerdy ... right click on the video and choose "statistics for nerds". Then you get:

Skærmbillede 2018-07-31 kl. 18.15.22.png

So the video loudness is 6.5 dB louder than the youtube loudness target which is approx 13 dB LUFS.

It's rather excessive - and one would get better (and even more) dynamics if it wasn't squeezed to death like this.

If you want to know more go check out Ian Shepherd @ http://productionadvice.co.uk

Hey thanks for doing that @Sustainerplayer :) I can't view the video, I'm having browser issues. Do you mean the peaks are 6.5 dB or the average? Did you notice any distortion/clipping? Garbage are great aren't they? I can't get enough of Shirley's voice plus she's really easy on the eyes, and the band really compliments her well. So you're in Denmark? That's not too far from where Shirley's from, although I heard she lives in L.A. now with her husband...:mad::cool: If you're ever in Edinburgh put in a good word for me ;).

Hey thanks for doing that @Sustainerplayer :) I can't view the video, I'm having browser issues. Do you mean the peaks are 6.5 dB or the average?

It's LUFS integrated or LUFS (i) meaning an average from start to end.

Did you notice any distortion/clipping?

Right now I can only listen on my laptop and TV set. Both are not high quality. But I will try and listen to it when I'm in my studio again.

Thing is - that usually when music is compressed this much - there is also introduced extra distortion or saturation in the mix and mastering process to obtain these loudness levels.

Listening on good speakers you can easily hear this. And overall it also introduces ear fatigue. It's getting tiresome to listen to over a longer period of time. Dynamic mixed music I can listen to all day. Compressed music makes you tired after 20 minutes or less. (IMO).

If you're ever in Edinburgh put in a good word for me ;).

If I ever meet Shirley I'll may mention you - or I may build her a basement and keep her for myself. Who knows? o_O;)

Back
Top Bottom