Famous Fractal users AND FOR WHAT

Guitarboy

Hi, just took a look at some K####R forum and a K fan said that famous artists use Kemper for it’s amp (modeling) capabilities and not for effects as they suck, but that Vai and many famous guitarist USE FRACTAL STUFF ONLY FOR EFFECTS AND NEVER FOR AMP/CAB SIM...

I tryed to get some rig rundown YouTube Fractal vids and it’s seems to be true.. except for Townsend who is 100% axefx2 now (was Kemper+AxefX before but finally concentrate on AF...)

What do you think guys? Personally I prefer Cliff Algos to Christoph ones. But I’m not a pro.. I the guy who ride a Ferrari but doesn’t even imagine what a F1 is really...

I think its ease of use, more than anything else. (the work is pretty much done for you)
The Kemper is basically a snapshot (it's done it's canned) you can tweak a bit. Buts its pretty much a done deal. You like the tone or not.
The Fractal you can edit to your hearts delight however you need to work a bit more to get what's in your head. But things can go wrong also if you feel like you have to tweak every little parameter.

I'm a Fractal owner, friends of mine own Kemper, they both sound great, but I prefer the Fractal approach. I feel without trying to start a war, Kemper users (and this is a very general statement) can be tweak-er but only to a certain degree. Were on the Fractal I like to tweak, but if am not familiar with something, will take the time to investigate. Kemper you basically have the luxury to relie on work (profiles) that someone else has already done).

I feel with the Fractal I can create something more unique.
But on the Kemper side if you have some access to killer amps, yeah lets profile them!

Last edited:
Little band called Metallica, Periphery,Keith Urban, Adrian Belew, lots of others.... sure some more will chime in. Artists with amp deals, make money off of them will not cop to using models for obvious reasons.

Pros use all kinds of gear. Sometimes whatever is available or what they get paid for. Fractal, Kemper, Line 6 are all over the place.

FAS works with many many pros. You'd be amazed. The advertisements don't say it all.

Why does it matter? I love my Land Rover but I don't think it's important that famous people drive one too. People need to get away from that "modeler-versus-modeler" discussion. For that stuff, visit The Gear Page.

Still most pros use tube amps and resort to tour with a Kemper which allows them to take a snapshot of their favorite amps. I don't think too many of them would want to dive deep into the various rabbit holes the Axe offers.

I would guess most major touring acts have dedicated guitar techs, and the support of guys like “M” who will come out and help perfectly dial in a rig for each and every album tone the artist wants.

I don’t really think James Hetfield etc, are sitting down with a new unit in their living room, opening up the manual and saying “okay, how do we turn this thing on” lol

Yeah, the big big ones like Metallica and alike probably have enough money to burn on logistics involved with real amps or techs to take care of the setup. However, those below that level usually rent the backline and that's where the Kemper appears to be a popular choice. Just bring your guitar and your profiles on a flash drive and you're good to go.

I have tried both. I am a FAS guy, and I can afford to play through anything I choose. I choose FAS. Every guitar player has to select what they want to play through. Life is about choices. Choose wisely Grasshoppa...

I owned a Kemper for a while, it had some really good amp tones, decent but not great effects.

If it was all I had I would be really happy with my tone. As it stands, I have choices and I like Fractal better.

Both units are expensive enough, and redundant enough to where I don’t need both.

Keep in mind with a company like Fractal and also Mesa Boogie...
every artist... is a customer. Everybody pays

I would guess most major touring acts have dedicated guitar techs, and the support of guys like “M” who will come out and help perfectly dial in a rig for each and every album tone the artist wants.

Roadies and guitar techs make a WORLD of difference in how much you cater to your tone OCD. When you have to carry everything yourself priorities will be different then when everything is being carried and set up for you.

I don’t really think James Hetfield etc, are sitting down with a new unit in their living room, opening up the manual and saying “okay, how do we turn this thing on” lol

Maybe he should. Taking a new gizmo out of the box, hooking it up and losing yourself for hours is a joy and who knows what kind of inspiration it will bring? Maybe if he and the others did that Metallica would cease being a job to them and become fun again. I think that's what that corporation needs. It has to become a band again.

Back
Top Bottom