How to Make a Dumble Steel String Singer Preset

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
(Re-posted excerpt from another thread post I made).

Steve Ray Vaughan was famous for this sound, and John Mayer goes for it. It is a super clean sound, and it's created mainly by using a Skyline (Dumble) tonestack preamp with an Amp SVT power section. It sounds best LOUD!

I'll probably do a video on it, but just wanted to get this out:

Set up a preset, use the Ampeg SVT Bass amp.

Turn the amp drive and master up to 6 each. Dial Bass back a little, Mid and Treble around 6.

Use the Rumble 4x12 EV12S M160 cab - Factory Cab # 106. Dial in proximity to taste (between 3 and 5).

Go to Amp GEQ -- boost the highs and lows, leave mids flat. If you use 5 band passive db for example, boost low and low mid between 1.5 and 2 db, and HMid and High in same range.

If you want raise the mids across the board ever so slightly (less than 1db).

Go into the preamp page. Set Tonestack to Skyline, or Skyline Deep (to taste). Then change to put the Tonestack in the MID position (important).

Dial in Preamp Dynamics to between 0.50 and 1.0, to your taste.

Put a studio or optical compressor after it, set ratio to between 1.5 and 2 (no higher) and make up the gain.

Add a dimension 1 chorus, with very small amount mixed like 7%

Get your Strat out. You now have in essence a Dumble Steel String Singer. It is VERY clean and glassy but with bite.

You can make it fatter by adding an FET drive before the amp like a clean boost -- low drive gain setting.

Tweak it to your own taste, but this will get you close. Have fun! Thanks to Brandon Montgomery of Bludotone Amps who helped me figure this out based on on his knowledge of the real amp.

P.S. There is a "SteelSings" preset contained in the bonus Classic Rock & Blues bank of my 700+ Naked Amps TonePack that is basically the preset enumerated above. Visit www.austinbuddy.com to learn more about all that.

Last edited:
That Skyline tonestack just smokes in Mid position! I haven't tried this with the SVT model yet but I made the swap in my Div/13 FT37 Hi patch tonight and looked up to see that three hours had passed...

This preset is how you get that John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughan crisp clean Strat sound. Some have asked how to use with humbuckers in another forum thread. Just lower the Input gain down to 0.5, and turn off the PEQ block, and adjust B/MT to taste.

Back
Top Bottom