ASM-12/AX8 Question

Brian Coonan

Power User
Played live for the first time at a festival last night with the AX8 and my ASM-12. I have the AX8 output 2 set to Echo with a 0db pad and had to max out the volume on the AX8 output 2, and the ASM-12 to get to a stage level that was functional for me - which wasn't super loud. ASM-12 wasn't even close to clipping with the AX8 output 2 volume maxed out.

My question for other ASM-12 owners that might run this config - do you use a 0db pad on Output 2 in the Global settings? What cabling configuration do you use to connect to your ASM-12? 1/4" to DI to ASM-12? 1/4" to a balanced adapter to ASM-12? Output 1 to ASM-12 and Output 2 to Mains? Just looking for some suggestions on what the best set up might be.

I think the problem was most likely with the cable/DI that I had to use but still am interested in some others' opinions.

On the positive side though - as soon as my guitar was in the mains for sound check - the sound guy said "holy sh** that sounds good - wtf IS that?" And took a picture of the AX8. So that was encouraging!

As always - thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

don't know if anyone else does this... but I run (2) ASM12's .... run them in Stereo and signal path is this >> AX8 XLR's L&R >> to the ASM12's input.. then I have the Sound guy (most the time is it our PA system) take their XLR L&R thru the ASM12's outputs

Easy ... and It seem to work well, haven't tried any other way

I run 1 x ASM-12 and normally position it behind me. I prefer using it as a wedge like I do a rehearsal but I find if I move too much from 'the spot' I have trouble hearing it. Last few gigs I have had it standing up or on a chair to elevate it a bit and have found that to be better live. As far as being my own monitor, I would say it has been great. It I was trying to compete with real guitar amps and use it straight off the stage, I am not sure how it would go. Having said that, I will be doing just this next Saturday evening. Small gig and we will play live amps (or AX8 + ASM) straight off the stage and use a small PA for vocals. I am thinking of taking both speakers and positioning them at each side of the stage so the audience gets better coverage.

The ASM12 is LOUD so I would imagine your problem is before it - I always run xlr out to the ASM and use a DI if needed to go to PA. I have -6db pad on input but nothing on output...so hard to say. Grab one of my presets from the old Police presets thread and see how that sounds - I can't have the friedman over about 6 without hurting my ears - and the AX8 outputs are usually around 1pm on the dial.

don't know if anyone else does this... but I run (2) ASM12's .... run them in Stereo and signal path is this >> AX8 XLR's L&R >> to the ASM12's input.. then I have the Sound guy (most the time is it our PA system) take their XLR L&R thru the ASM12's outputs

Easy ... and It seem to work well, haven't tried any other way
Dang it - didn't even think about running to the Mains from the ASM-12's output! That probably would have worked well last night!

I run 1 x ASM-12 and normally position it behind me. I prefer using it as a wedge like I do a rehearsal but I find if I move too much from 'the spot' I have trouble hearing it. Last few gigs I have had it standing up or on a chair to elevate it a bit and have found that to be better live. As far as being my own monitor, I would say it has been great. It I was trying to compete with real guitar amps and use it straight off the stage, I am not sure how it would go. Having said that, I will be doing just this next Saturday evening. Small gig and we will play live amps (or AX8 + ASM) straight off the stage and use a small PA for vocals. I am thinking of taking both speakers and positioning them at each side of the stage so the audience gets better coverage.

I would be interested to know how that goes - I may have some small gigs as well that I wouldn't go directly into a PA.

The ASM12 is LOUD so I would imagine your problem is before it - I always run xlr out to the ASM and use a DI if needed to go to PA. I have -6db pad on input but nothing on output...so hard to say. Grab one of my presets from the old Police presets thread and see how that sounds - I can't have the friedman over about 6 without hurting my ears - and the AX8 outputs are usually around 1pm on the dial.

Exactly (with the volume thing) - when I'm home and plugged in the thing can get soooo loud so not hearing it out of output 2 at the gig was curious to me. I know there is nothing 'wrong' per se - like a technical malfunction with the AX8 or the ASM-12, but I think maybe because I'm new(er) and that was my first live experience, there may have been some things I didn't think about. Plus, using a cable and a DI that I didn't really trust has me leaning in that direction.

If the FOH board has phantom power turned in you'll not want to run out of the ASM. I run to FOH from channel 2 out of the asm. Do you have your preset level zero' don the vu meter?

If the FOH board has phantom power turned in you'll not want to run out of the ASM. I run to FOH from channel 2 out of the asm. Do you have your preset level zero' don the vu meter?

Good to know about the phantom power - I'll keep that in mind for the next show. My VU meters are at 0 or as close as possible anyway. I have a lead boost set up for a 2.5 - 3 db boost. Sound guy said I could have used just a touch more though.

Thanks for the info about phantom power!

Back
Top Bottom