Is the time spent mixing/finding IR's worth it?

For playing live, I've switched to using the same IR for all my presets.

I like the consistency when I switch presets.
I just read an article with Michael Britt, the well known and lauded Kemper profiler.

Apparently all the profiles he creates are made using with the same physical speaker cabinet for exactly the same reason.

He says for live use, it's disorienting for the audience when your cab sounds change.

That's interesting! I could see using one impulse live for continuity. I'll have to listen to those Kemper sound clips and see what that's like.

Just tried that across a set of patches and really liked the results.

Yesterday I was playing around with stereo cabs for the first time seriously and was really liking some different mixes. I had four patches set up with a Twin Reverb (clean), AC30 (pushed), JCM 800 (crunch), and HBE (high gain). I gave all four the same cab combo of an ML Zilla V30 Mix on one side and ML Zilla Greenback M Mix on the other side.

The amps still have their own character but the sound is a little more unified. The Fender actually sounds better when pushed now, the AC30 has more low end and clarity (which I struggled with), obviously the Marshall and HBE both like a V30/G12M mix. The only change I made was to lower the high cut closer to 6500-7500 to keep the higher gain amps from being too bright.

Will try this as my go to for a while!

Just tried that across a set of patches and really liked the results.

Yesterday I was playing around with stereo cabs for the first time seriously and was really liking some different mixes. I had four patches set up with a Twin Reverb (clean), AC30 (pushed), JCM 800 (crunch), and HBE (high gain). I gave all four the same cab combo of an ML Zilla V30 Mix on one side and ML Zilla Greenback M Mix on the other side.

The amps still have their own character but the sound is a little more unified. The Fender actually sounds better when pushed now, the AC30 has more low end and clarity (which I struggled with), obviously the Marshall and HBE both like a V30/G12M mix. The only change I made was to lower the high cut closer to 6500-7500 to keep the higher gain amps from being too bright.

Will try this as my go to for a while!

I had the same type of epiphany, the whole show seemed more solid and more fun to play.

This is a good thread because I see these questions surface every now and then with people having really strong opinions on the subject. Generally speaking people are 1) happy with IR's and happy with their tone or 2) unhappy with their IR purchase and therefore confused and in the end don't see the value in spending time working with IR's.

It all comes down to "knowing how to tweak" and if you have that skill you will not be spending too much time because of IR's. On the contrary a good IR will save you so much time. Remember that amp EQ doesn't really have that much control while an IR can make your amp sound like Led Zeppelin or Metallica. That's where the power of modeling is at.

There are good stock IR's but in general the reason why IR producers want their IR's in there is not to give people free IR's, but to give people the chance to "try before buy". So those IR's are more like teasers of what the end products can do. I hope this goes without saying but no IR producer puts their best IR's in as stock IR's.

Back
Top Bottom