Axe-Fx II "takes over" my soundcard

S

Soultrash

Hi people,

in the Windows 7 Sound options i have set the analog I/O's of my PCIe RME AIO as default,
however as soon as i power up my Axe-FX II the built in USB audio interface "takes over" my AIO soundcard.

This disables the direct (zero latency) monitoring of my AIO and the sound cuts out.

When i go to the Sound options again the Axe-FX II USB interface is set as default automatically.

This is pretty annoying as i have to reconfigure the I/O's every time i power up my II.

This also happens when i start Cubase 8.
The AIO was set as the default device previously but if i power up the axe and then start Cubase
the Axe-FX II USB interface is automatically set as default.

I really do not want to use the USB interface as my main, so i hope that there is a way to disable the built in interface.

I understand that by, uninstalling the driver or unplugging the USB connection will disable the USB interface,
however i must have access to the other USB functions like connecting the AXE to the editor, firmware updates etc.

Is there a solution to disable the USB interface only!?

While I have no experience with the axe fx, I do with windows. In the device manager you'll probably have a driver specifically for the audio part of the usb interface... under Sound, Video and game controllers, you should see the one for the axe fx. disable that and see if the rest still works.

Have you tried right clicking on it and disabling it in Windows Mixer? The stuff that you are talking about wanting to keep enabled is all MIDI which isn't effected by the sound card driver.

disabling the Axe-FX II in the Sound options seems to work, thanks guys! :)

Same thing happens to my Mac mini every time I power up my Axe-FX II. It doesn't really bother me though. In fact I like it that way. I think it's more to do with the way OS X behaves when a new sound device comes online, not anything the Axe-FX is doing.

disabling the Axe-FX II in the Sound options seems to work, thanks guys! :)

Can you Explain Exactly where you go and what you do to accomplish this? I have Windows 7 and just started using my PC to go through my AFX-II, so I can Jam along to You Tube, etc. Now when I turn on the Axe-FX II, the sound STOPS going to my PC Speakers (Which are PreSonus Studio Monitors).

So Please explain exactly WHAT YOU DID? Did you go to "Control Panel", Then "Hardware and Sound", Then "Manage Audio Devices". Then Instead of having your AFX-II set as Default, you just set your Computer speakers as Default? I am using a Fast Track Pro connected to my PC, and my Studio Monitors Connected to the Fast Track Pro.

OK, What I just Told Myself ABOVE (LOL) Works, My Axe-FX II is Turned ON, and my Music is NOW coming out of my Studio Monitors! SO, NOW, when I want to go back and have my Sound from my PC play through my AXE-FX's Speakers (Atomic Powered Wedges), THEN do I just need to go back into the Menu, and CHANGE the Default Output from the Current Setting to NOW having the Default Checked for the the Axe-FX?

Can you Explain Exactly where you go and what you do to accomplish this? I have Windows 7 and just started using my PC to go through my AFX-II, so I can Jam along to You Tube, etc. Now when I turn on the Axe-FX II, the sound STOPS going to my PC Speakers (Which are PreSonus Studio Monitors).

So Please explain exactly WHAT YOU DID? Did you go to "Control Panel", Then "Hardware and Sound", Then "Manage Audio Devices". Then Instead of having your AFX-II set as Default, you just set your Computer speakers as Default? I am using a Fast Track Pro connected to my PC, and my Studio Monitors Connected to the Fast Track Pro.

Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray, click on Playback devices, find the axe in the list that pops up, right click on it and click disable. Should do it.

Well, after migrating to Windows 10 i got the same problem again but this time deactivating the AXE FX II as a sound source automatically cuts off the communication to AXE EDIT, means i either have to use the AXE FX II as a sound device or deactivate it,
not being able to use the AXE FX II with AXE EDIT.

this is a real game breaker for me and i am actually thinking of parting ways with my AXE FX II.

any idea for a solution/fix?

yeah, this worked in Windows 7, does not work in Windows 10...

maybe Cliff can make an updated driver where you can chose if you wat USB audio support
or just USB support for communication with AXE EDIT, firmaware updates etc.

Don't disable the Axe FX. What happens if you set your other interface as the default and turn the Axe on after you load Cubase?

sometimes my PCIe interface is the default and sometimes the AXE FX II ASIO driver is set to default,
there is no regularity it happens randomly. i think it's more a WIndows problem. being able to disable the AXE FX II
USB audio interface would be great, really do not want use MIDI to connect the AXE FX II to my PC.

This is just a matter of setting your "Default Playback Device" when you right click on the sound icon in your tray. When you turn on your AxeFx II via USB, your PC wants to make that your default playback device. Simply set it to what you want.

sometimes my PCIe interface is the default and sometimes the AXE FX II ASIO driver is set to default,
there is no regularity it happens randomly. i think it's more a WIndows problem. being able to disable the AXE FX II
USB audio interface would be great, really do not want use MIDI to connect the AXE FX II to my PC.

If your Axe FX is turned off when Cubase loads, I would think Cubase would use whichever interface was active at the time it loaded. Turning the Axe on after Cubase loads may allow you to use Axe-Edit while continuing to use whichever interface was active when Cubase started up. At worst, you can select the other interface in Cubase if you have to, but I tend to think Cubase will use whichever interface is turned on when it loads.

@Schwitz
i will try this again tomorrow after work, but the problem might be somewhere else...

@Jason Scott
yeah, i can switch the ASIO device without any probems but it is very annoying to be honest.

i have to say that i do not like the AXE FX II USB interface at all, i think it's not usable as the latency is
ridiculous. i really wish i could permanently deactivate it somehow!

i have also found out that having multiple audio drivers installed at once will cause significant DPC latency caused by several audio drivers.
in my case i have two onboard audio devices, a PCIe audio interface, the sound device of my NVIDIA graphics card
and when connnected the AXE FX II USB audio interface.

disabling the onboard devices in the BIOS instantly leads to a better
DPC latency. uninstalling the NVIDIA audio device improves the DPC latency again.

today i deactiveted the AXE FX II USB audio device for tsting purposes and even further improved the DPC latency.

i went from 1000µs to about 200-250µs, which is insanely good, however turning back on the
AXE FX audio device results in 1000µs DPC latency again.

not sure if this has anyxthing to do with the main problem here but i think that windows 10 is having problems with multiple
audio devices in general.

@FractalAudio
is there maybe a way to disable the AXE FX usb device without losing connection to AXE EDIT?

EDIT: can i still use the MIDI I/O to connect the AXE to AXE EDIT, update firmware etc.!?
in this case i would just not install the usb driber and use MIDI for connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom