I constantly feel like I'm guessing with my Axe FX II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Danny

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such depth, the combination of the vid and what you wrote has lifted the mist a lot, just need to get back from work on wednesday and play with the FXII lol this thread has turned into such an amazing learning experience first the low and hi cuts then now the compression block.

it would have been nice to see what settings you have ( drive wise ) on the brit amp block and the drive block too in the vid but you might have given values previously will read back, off to work now TTFN

awesome dude
cheers
G \../

No problem. :) Yeah I would have gotten more into the whole tone thing as well, but like I said, that particular video was about the compression and how it adds sustain and stops us from dying out. :) Trust me waylander, it's hard as heck to not show you guys sounds and play stuff all over the place. LOL! But the one thing I never want people to think is that I'm here to show off or be an @sshole. Honest, what you see/hear is what you get from me. If I can help people out, it's a great feeling. But yeah, I'll do another for you. The drive block is actually running gain at about 7.0 something and the amp is at like 2.78 on the drive with no boost. I'm really not too fond of that amp model, but it's one of the only ones (there's one other one that I can't remember the name of right now) that gives me that pinch harm thing. All the other amp models sound digital/transistor when I crack those pinch harms through. But that mod amp is super close to my old 2101 starved plate sound as well as this old Peavey vacuum tube ultra that I have.

So I figured....if I could tweak some tone into the 800 mod, it may get me back to where I was before. I was completely happy with my 2101's. I was forced to give up on them due to them being too old and me spending hundreds on Ebay buying up old ones and modding them. So that's why I bought my AxeFx. Right after I buy it, don't I meet a guy that rebuilds 2101's from the ground up and reconstructs them? LOL!! He's done 3 for me already....but when I compare them to my AxeFx...the Ax has won me over. So now I either have to buy a few more Axe Fx boxes....or try to get an endorsement with Fractal. LOL!

Cool video Danny, thanks for taking the time to do that. Compression is something I struggle with sometimes, I like what it does but I get confused about the various settings so this has been really useful for me. Plus I love your playing and tones :encouragement:

Maybe you could drop another video when you have some time which explains how you set the other blocks to get that nice chewy tone?

You're welcome Coldsummer...my pleasure. Yeah I could do another vid on that if you want. I think the thing that you're hearing that's making it "chewy" is either my tuning or the cab block I'm using. I tone matched a few of my own creations and I believe the cab you're hearing there (if I'm not mistaken) is a tone match cop of my 2101 where I saved it as a cab. It's funny man, people laughed at me for years when I told them I used a 2101. They sound like crap actually....until you really get in and work them like the AxeFx. But I came up with a few things that made the 2101 really come to life so when I stole a few of those things and brought them to my AxeFx, it's like I just picked up where I left off and have an even tighter sound now than I had before. I know it's not a sound for everyone, but for those that are into that...it's pretty cool and it can work pretty well. Anyway, I'll see what I can do. Thanks guys! :)

A note on compression....the way we're using it in this example isn't how you'd use it in a recording situation. We're adding sustain here....in a recording situation, you'd want the compressor to literally be AFTER everything but you'd use it lightly so that it gives you a signal that isn't running all over the place. We're using the compressor for sound enhancement, not actual "compression" the way we would if we were recording. I know most people know this, but I just wanted to make sure no one was misled. The stuff we've talked about in this thread can be applied to recording compression, but we'd definitely take a slightly different approach. :)

... Then I moved up to the Digitech 2101 and I've been super happy ever since ... One of the problems with guys like me is, we like a hybrid type tone. Processed a bit and more of a 12AX7 sound instead of a super loud plexi with glowing power amp saturation. That sound was just never for me. I prefer lower volume and more pre-amp drive without sounding too synthetic...if that makes sense? The key there is I have to have a good, tight pre that's not flabby. This is where I especially like 12AX7's and a good compressor to do the work.

You mentioned compression...that's another key factor because we can kick up the gain stage on an amp or pedal in the Ax and then compress it. It takes the excessive drive we may use and tightens it up so it doesn't sound like a run on sentence when we play and turns the drive into....sustain. From there, with the right combination, you can just turn up the output of the compressor and it will literally turn your Ax into a mutant gain machine that can be controlled.

I personally like lots of gain. The more gain the better.....as long as the sound doesn't trip over itself and still remains a bit percussive when we chug chords. When chugged chords start sounding like a run-on sentence and grab that yugyugyugyug type tone, that's gain over-kill and that sound is terrible. LOL! But see, a good compressor can take that gain and really tighten. Some guys have mentioned "ok, but isn't it the same if you just turn the gain down?" The answer is no, because the compressor is processing/tightening the gain and giving us sustain.

So even if we are taking out say....-5dB of gain via compressor, it takes the flabbiness away and gives you sustain...so it's not the same as turning down the gain with no compressor and it's not the same as turning UP your gain with no compressor. You'll know when you got it right. You may pick up a little additional hiss, but nothing that is extremely noticeable. Plus we have one of the best gates known to man, so that helps as well. I don't even use much gate and I got some sick distortion going on. I can still back my volume knob down and clean up. It still has a little dirt, but I like that. If I want clean, I step on a clean patch ...

Hi Danny,

Thanks for all your input here. I too have a GSP2101, and have found great success using a Tube Works Real Tube II into the Axe. I use 7025 tubes from the thetubestore.com, the preferred series, and really like them in just about everything :)

I'm going to play around with the tube screamer and compressor into the axe today, you've peaked my interest :)

Oh, I've also had great success using a clean boost on a Wampler SLOstortion. It's the cleanest boost I have.

Enjoy the Super Bowl Everyone!

Last edited:
Danny

Thanks again for all your effort in responding, your advice is proving invaluable,
any videos on topics associated with enhancing tone is more than welcome
and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people that have trouble transferring the manual info into practical reality,
the learning cycle is when people get to listen to experience people thoughts to enhance there own ability and knowledge.
If you don't physically know anybody with the knowledge you seek then its forums like this that let you expand your horizons.

cheers
G \../

Danny,

I just want to echo everyone's sentiment. Thanks for taking the time to do the video. I've learned a lot already. If you have the time to do any other videos on these subjects, please feel free! I for one could use any help, and I'm sure other folks feel the same. I know your a busy dude, so all of this is greatly appreciated!

Lawson

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Danny

Thanks again for all your effort in responding, your advice is proving invaluable,
and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people that have trouble transferring the manual info into practical reality,
the learning cycle is when people get to listen to experience people thoughts to enhance there own ability and knowledge.
If you don't physically know anybody with the knowledge you seek then its forums like this that let you expand your horizons.

cheers
G \../

Absolutely +1.

It's incredibly helpful when more experienced guys like Danny explain some of the cool features in the AXE-FX in plain English, especially when it's done in such a friendly and non-patronising way. We are lucky to have quite a few on the forum, including Sir Clifford himself. :encouragement:

Great tutorial.
Wiki'd.
Compressor (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Danny, you're using the Studio type, but a lot of us use the Pedal compressor because it takes up less CPU usage.
Attack and Release are the same of course. I wonder how Sustain compares to Ratio though. Any idea?

Regarding Attack, since the block is set to AUTO, changing Attack doesn't change the way Comp works... AUTO varies the attack according to the material, says the manual.

Regarding Attack, since the block is set to AUTO, changing Attack doesn't change the way Comp works... AUTO varies the attack according to the material, says the manual.

It might still do something. This was the release notes description when AUTO was added to the Axe 1 compressor. I'm guessing it's the same on the II, and the manual is just not clear.

"Added “AUTO” mode. When Auto mode is on, the attack and release rates are automatically varied according to the program material. The Attack and Release controls then set the minimum attack rate and maximum release rate, respectively (maximum attack time, minimum release time)."

It might still do something. This was the release notes description when AUTO was added to the Axe 1 compressor. I'm guessing it's the same on the II, and the manual is just not clear.

"Added “AUTO” mode. When Auto mode is on, the attack and release rates are automatically varied according to the program material. The Attack and Release controls then set the minimum attack rate and maximum release rate, respectively (maximum attack time, minimum release time)."

Aha, that clears things up!

Danny -

Awesome discussion on the black magic of compressors (and one of my favorite effects). I did try your video on Youtube and wasn't able to to get any audio. Anything unique about the video?

Thanks for your outstanding coverage on the topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Walt, ah man, you're quite welcome. I just hope it helps you and others. I could have rattled on even more about this. There are so many variables, it's nuts! What sucks is, some guys are just great and throwing tones together where others struggle with it. I've struggled quite a bit over the years, though my friends would tell you "don't listen to him, he's always had a pretty mean tone." I've never really liked my tone until I started using an old Rocktron Chameleon. Then I moved up to the Digitech 2101 and I've been super happy ever since. I've had so many amps and still have quite a few....but I've never been happy with any of them other than an old Peavey Ultra that has 3 channels. It's really the first amp (other than a dual rectumfryer lol) that I was able to plug right into and enjoy right out of the gate with 0 effects, so I bought it.

One of the problems with guys like me is, we like a hybrid type tone. Processed a bit and more of a 12AX7 sound instead of a super loud plexi with glowing power amp saturation. That sound was just never for me. I prefer lower volume and more pre-amp drive without sounding too synthetic...if that makes sense? The key there is I have to have a good, tight pre that's not flabby. This is where I especially like 12AX7's and a good compressor to do the work.

You mentioned compression...that's another key factor because we can kick up the gain stage on an amp or pedal in the Ax and then compress it. It takes the excessive drive we may use and tightens it up so it doesn't sound like a run on sentence when we play and turns the drive into....sustain. From there, with the right combination, you can just turn up the output of the compressor and it will literally turn your Ax into a mutant gain machine that can be controlled.

I personally like lots of gain. The more gain the better.....as long as the sound doesn't trip over itself and still remains a bit percussive when we chug chords. When chugged chords start sounding like a run-on sentence and grab that yugyugyugyug type tone, that's gain over-kill and that sound is terrible. LOL! But see, a good compressor can take that gain and really tighten. Some guys have mentioned "ok, but isn't it the same if you just turn the gain down?" The answer is no, because the compressor is processing/tightening the gain and giving us sustain.

So even if we are taking out say....-5dB of gain via compressor, it takes the flabbiness away and gives you sustain...so it's not the same as turning down the gain with no compressor and it's not the same as turning UP your gain with no compressor. You'll know when you got it right. You may pick up a little additional hiss, but nothing that is extremely noticeable. Plus we have one of the best gates known to man, so that helps as well. I don't even use much gate and I got some sick distortion going on. I can still back my volume knob down and clean up. It still has a little dirt, but I like that. If I want clean, I step on a clean patch.

Anyway, I'm rambling again...I'm glad you found this helpful and thanks for the appreciation. I hope it helps you sort out any tone issues you may be having. I'm hoping to post some audio of the tones I'm getting. I don't think anyone will like them, but they definitely work for the stuff I'm playing these days. :)

I for one would be more appreciative then you'll ever know. I have the roadster, and if it's not kranking, the sound just isn't there, I did read awhile back an artical on how to look at your compression, and proper adjustment,damn I wish i could find that now. i remember it mentioning to be sublte with it. You could over do things very quickly. And if you wouldn't mind jotting some of the more important peramaters went along in your I like to call it, Five Layer Chocolate Cake if you will LOL! Just wondering how the exact setup would sound. Anyway thanks again, I'm going to try and locate that damn artical on controlling the compression.

isn't the 20dB boost of the compressor adding 20dB of "guitar gain" to the amp, therefore increasing the sustain since it hits the front end of the amp harder?

how much does that affect the sustain and tone vs the compression part of the compressor?

i'm just curious as i've never turned up a block all the way to 20 dB before an amp other than a filter block or something for more gain.

Killer video Danny, thanks for that! Really feel like I learned something. I know I ask this a lot, but it would be cool if you could share the patch(es) so that we could play it and see how you are building your compression/drive/amp/cab chain and how the parts interact.

Anyway, thanks so much! Great work and very helpful at least to the compression ignorant such as myself.

Hi Danny,

Thanks for all your input here. I too have a GSP2101, and have found great success using a Tube Works Real Tube II into the Axe. I use 7025 tubes from the thetubestore.com, the preferred series, and really like them in just about everything :)

I'm going to play around with the tube screamer and compressor into the axe today, you've peaked my interest :)

Oh, I've also had great success using a clean boost on a Wampler SLOstortion. It's the cleanest boost I have.

Enjoy the Super Bowl Everyone!

Hi maschoff, thanks for the kind words. Ah you've given me some stuff to try also. I'm actually really happy at the moment....but it never fails to try something new. I like the Tube Works idea a lot. Uggh...poor Manning...he looked like he was either gonna cry or have a meltdown/heart-attack. It was nice to see Seattle kick butt...but I always hate blow-outs no matter who's involved. A great game is always a plus. :)

Danny

cheers
G \../

waylander: thanks and you're welcome. As long as I don't come off as some sort of know-it-all that makes people hate me, I promise to try and help out as much as I can time permitting. :) My biggest issue on the net has always been people either love me or hate me because they think I have some hidden agenda or they think I'm trying to take over a site and be a guru. That's never been the case. I just know what it's like to be in need bro. My entire life I'd beg guitar virtuoso's to help me out....only to get generic responses like "just practice, kid". It gets old, ya know? There ain't no secrets....we're all in this world together...I say make the best of it. Of course we have to do a little work to learn...because if it's just given to us, it doesn't really go as far. Like the old saying...give a man a fish, he eats for a day....teach that man to fish, he eats for a lifetime and can teach others as well. :)

Danny,

I just want to echo everyone's sentiment. Thanks for taking the time to do the video. I've learned a lot already. If you have the time to do any other videos on these subjects, please feel free! I for one could use any help, and I'm sure other folks feel the same. I know your a busy dude, so all of this is greatly appreciated!

Lawson

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Lawson: no problem and thank you. :) Unfortunately time is hard on me these days. I own two studio's at the moment and part of what we do in the one studio, is teach either in person or by way of video. We do custom lessons all the time as well as just about anything that can be taught. I'm not saying that to drum up business, honest....my point is, I got so many videos and audio projects rendering, it's sometimes tough to do anything other than rest while all the pc's are rendering. LOL! But I'll definitely see what I can do for you as I really do enjoy doing this stuff to help others. :)

Absolutely +1.

It's incredibly helpful when more experienced guys like Danny explain some of the cool features in the AXE-FX in plain English, especially when it's done in such a friendly and non-patronising way. We are lucky to have quite a few on the forum, including Sir Clifford himself. :encouragement:

Thanks Coldsummer. As much as I know about the audio field and effects etc, I never really grasped the real theory of anything. Meaning, I'll always tell you in my own words and experience how something works or how to use something. There are times when I talk the theory or science part, but I honestly try to stay away from that because it really does make someone not as interested in this. I sort of trained under a pretty famous mastering engineer. I love the guy to death, but his books are so hard to understand and loaded with science, I couldn't learn a thing. By the time I got done reading a paragraph, I'd ask myself what the hell I was reading. The more science and confusion we get with this stuff, the more it literally (at least in my opinion) can deter someone from wanting to dive into something.

Like for example, if Cliff came on here and started talking all scientific and brilliant, some of the forum would enjoy that and would find it interesting. The rest of us, which I believe would be the majority, would feel great that Cliff graced us with his presence even if we didn't quite understand the technical stuff he was mentioning. I got guys on forums I frequent that literally lose the entire forum with science. If someone can't speak in layman terms, it's just science, ya know? My father has been experiencing some health issues. When the Doctor told me all the stuff that was happening, he talked to me like another doctor...not a patient's son that was clueless. I had to remind him that I didn't get my Doctorate yet....but he thought I had it because I went in knowing nearly as much about the liver as he did. LMAO! :)

+1 thanks Danny.

You're quite welcome socal. :)

Great tutorial.
Wiki'd.
Compressor (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Danny, you're using the Studio type, but a lot of us use the Pedal compressor because it takes up less CPU usage.
Attack and Release are the same of course. I wonder how Sustain compares to Ratio though. Any idea?

Hi yek, thanks! Hmm, you know, I never even noticed that "auto" thing. Bakerman looks to have found the answer there. Now that you've both brought it up, I'm going to check that out and see what differences I experience. Thanks for the cpu usage info....I didn't get that far with judging what may be a cpu hog. I chose the studio compressor because it had all things I was used to seeing. When I tried the pedal comps, they had stuff I wasn't familiar with so to be honest, that was the only reason I didn't try them. I did notice one had a bit more gain when I switched to it. It's good to know I can save a little cpu using the others though, so thanks for the tip. :) I'll do a little experimenting and get back to you on the sustain vs. ratio. Sustain and "emph" scared me off from using the pedal comps. LOL!

Danny -

Awesome discussion on the black magic of compressors (and one of my favorite effects). I did try your video on Youtube and wasn't able to to get any audio. Anything unique about the video?

Thanks for your outstanding coverage on the topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi plyall: Hmm, not sure why you're not able to get any audio. It works for me using my pc, my laptop as well as my phone. No one else mentioned any audio issues. I wish I could help you there. The video isn't really unique...I was just talking about compression and tones all through this thread and wanted to show everyone how and why I was using it that way...as well as allowing them to hear a tone or two from me. So it's nothing unique or important...just me trying to help people a bit. I figured, I've done a lot of talking on here...it would be nice to show people what I mean so I don't just sound like a mindless windbag. LOL! :)

*continued*

Really enjoyed the video! I definitely learned something new.

Cool, thanks biskitboy! I hope it works for you.

I for one would be more appreciative then you'll ever know. I have the roadster, and if it's not kranking, the sound just isn't there, I did read awhile back an artical on how to look at your compression, and proper adjustment,damn I wish i could find that now. i remember it mentioning to be sublte with it. You could over do things very quickly. And if you wouldn't mind jotting some of the more important peramaters went along in your I like to call it, Five Layer Chocolate Cake if you will LOL! Just wondering how the exact setup would sound. Anyway thanks again, I'm going to try and locate that damn artical on controlling the compression.

Walt: no problem, glad it helped. Yeah, some amps just need to be jacked. Quick story as to why I don't like those types of amps as much. When I was using my old plexi's years ago, I had 100 watters. (I had as 200 too...may still have it somewhere lol) I used to take out two tubes in the center or one tube out of each end position to make it into a 50 and jack it. I got a great tone out of it...but man, it was so loud it was just sickening. It was a GOOD loud though...not piercing and abrasive. But I'll never forget...one night at a club, this new manager took over. He kept on telling us to turn down, turn down. I knew if I turned down, I'd lose my tone. So I'd act like I was turning down. Well, this dude wasn't anyone to play with. He launched a wet napkin at me from the bar while I was singing and it stuck right to my face. LMAO!!!

We had a laugh about it and he was actually cool when we talked. He understood my situation and I understood his. I didn't realize how loud I was until I jumped down off the stage. So them we move into power soaks and power brakes etc...and your nice amps wind up going to the shop all the time. That was it for me and plexi's. I really hate loud volume to be honest. I make my living partially from my albums I've released, but the majority these days comes from my ears. I can hear two gnats screwing in another room....so thankfully, I was smart enough at an early age to stop with the loud stuff.

As for the compression articles....be careful what you read. Some of them are VERY misleading. The toughest thing about a compressor is...there is no "proper adjustment". The reasons being:

1. Each compressor has different characteristics, ways it reacts, and most importantly, how subtle it reacts with a knob turn. Others, you need to jump on them to hear a difference.

2. Source material. A sound loaded with bass is going to trip a compressor that is set for a lower reaction point while a sound with less bass will need more threshold to get to the same amount of gain removal, understand?

So the circumstances and situations are always going to have loads of variables. We can set a Behringer compressor one way and a dBX compressor the same way and get two different reactions. So picking the right compressor is another animal altogether. Factor in that most of this discussion in this tread has been about enhancing a driven signal, and we're really not compressing much at all. When I look at my wave forms created by my AxeFxII, they look lightly comped...which is a good thing. But there are still some sharp edges and inconsistencies. For me personally....when recording, I will run the AxeFx into my Tascam DM-4800 where I have an outboard comp lightly conditioning it to disc. I use something different just about all the time just to experiment. But it's either a Drawmer, a DBX or (don't laugh) a Behringer. The Behringer is good because it's an awesome conditioning compressor. Meaning, I don't use much. I may remove -2dB of gain using a 2:1 ratio. All this does is make my wave form look pretty with no chance of an over. :) I like to record at -6dB peak at 24/48, so the conditioning aspect here is good practice. You never want to use too much going in...because everything you do there would be "destructive" meaning...once you do it, if you use too much, you need to redo the track. So I just use a little bit.

Important parameters are everything in a compressor. The reason being, they all work off of each other. The ratio is how much compression you will actually hear when you crank up the threshold. So if you have a higher ratio number, you will start hearing the compressor as soon as you start to pull up the threshold. The attack and release take care of how the compressor attacks and when it releases and retriggers. So if we use a 0 attack, the compressor is going to kick in immediately based on how much threshold you are using, which is feeding off of the ratio you are using. 0 attack gives you 0 transients...meaning, if you were to pop and slap a bass, the pop and slap would be severely curbed/cut down, understand? The release...if too short allows things to sustain because the compressor is constantly retriggering....which is based off of how much attack, which is connected to how much compression you want to hear based on how much threshold, which is living off of how big or small your ratio is....get it now? :)

With the attack set longer...you get more transient/percussive attack...which would make that bass MORE percussive. If a dude plays a bass with a heavy pick....the more attack you allow, the more you hear his pick. Less attack, the more it curbs the percussive attack. Longer release times allow the compressor to breathe longer before it retriggers...but they all walk hand in hand as you can see. I know my way of explaining it is a bit weird...but that's the best way I can explain it without losing you. :)

Danny thanks for the vid. Please do more. Your help is appreciated here, and I dig your playing.

Thanks randolpho! I'll see what I can do.

isn't the 20dB boost of the compressor adding 20dB of "guitar gain" to the amp, therefore increasing the sustain since it hits the front end of the amp harder?

how much does that affect the sustain and tone vs the compression part of the compressor?

i'm just curious as i've never turned up a block all the way to 20 dB before an amp other than a filter block or something for more gain.

Chris: Yeah it probably is. However, if you notice, when I turn down the drive pedal, we're still left with sustain. The tone changes a bit as well because it's so squashed at that point ramming the amp. Whatever it's doing, it's definitely adding good sustain to the sound in my opinion. I did this exact same thing with my 2101 which is why I started doing it here. Whatever is going on...good or bad, it definitely stops my tone from dying out and gives me a nice note hold without having to go super loud. Also, I'm getting very little noise and still get a decent sort of clean sound when I dial my volume knob down. Hiss is barely audible with my gate at 90%. So the whole thing I'm doing may be a no no...but it sure does appear to be making a difference for the better for me at this time. :)

Killer video Danny, thanks for that! Really feel like I learned something. I know I ask this a lot, but it would be cool if you could share the patch(es) so that we could play it and see how you are building your compression/drive/amp/cab chain and how the parts interact.

Anyway, thanks so much! Great work and very helpful at least to the compression ignorant such as myself.

Hi sam: I'll see what I can do on the patches. I wanted to get things a little better and feel more confident before sharing those. I gotta tell you, I never in a million years expected this sort of response from this forum. I knew everyone was super cool and helpful etc, but I was super intimidated to even post here to be honest. I know how many great players and tone mongers we have....I just want to fit in and not step on anyone's toes. But for sure, I'll share some patches as soon as I test them enough and make sure I'm confident with sharing. :) Glad you got a little something from this.

Thanks everyone....you guys are awesome. :)

Another +1 thanks Danny... I always like a bit of compression discussion towards guitar use. I still get confused by it at times and I approach it from using various comp pedals into amps for the most part (only started using digital with the Axe II a couple of years back).

Something I tried a while back based on a suggestion on this forum was using a comp set mild at the front of the chain and another set slightly different (and still mild) between the amp and cab blocks for a bit of the Little Feat LG thing.. was interesting.. need to go back and revisit it sometime. I do love some comp with an amp set mild and combined with single coils or P90 types..

Thanks for the video, and all your other insights in this thread Danny. You seem to know what you're talking about, and you're able to convey that without it becoming confusing. Especially the stuff on compression is pretty enlightning as I never really grasped how to work them or listen to what they do exactly. I remember from the last gig I played, I asked the FOH sound engineer what he adjusted to the sound comgin from my Axe and he said "well, I boosted the low frequencies a little bit and applied some light compression, that's all". The low frequencies I knew how to fix, but compression has remained a slight mystery ever since.

Watching your video I figured out what to listen for, how attack and release work, and put it in practice on my own presets. Ended up with the pedal 2 type, sustain around 2-2.5, attack at 15 ms (quite long maybe, but I don't like the initial attack to be squished already), release around 350 ms, no emph, level at 0. I tried boosting the level, but the sound I have without a compressor already makes me happy in the pants without a further need to push the amp block; I just wanted a little more sustain without really altering my current sounds. I'll need to test it in a band setting still, but it certainly sounds promising on its own (it appears to work for both my clean and gainy sounds). So yeah, thanks. :)

To the OP. This is my method. It's simple and the analogy is similar to getting a new glasses prescription. I start with a "20/20 vision" reference tone, assemble my best guess amp/cab "old prescription" and flip between amps first and then cabs, until I have the clearest version of the tone I envision. That's it. From there it's dialing specific parameters to achieve 20/20 vision.

• I start with a reference tone (AKA 20/20 vision chart)
  • I bring up the amp/cab used in that reference tone or my best guess (AKA the doctor starts by dialing up my old blurry prescription)
  • I bring up my best guess for the right guitar pickup.
  • Now I have a "blurry" version of the tone I seek. I'm no longer operating completely blind.
For example, if the reference tone is likely a Fender family amp, I bring up a basic 2x12 cab and start changing amps in the Fender family. Like the eye doctor I start flipping through "lenses" until I find the clearest one.

Before
I do that, I listen very closely to the sonic fingerprint of the amp in the reference recording: is it bright/dark, fat/thin, big/small, spanky/hard, soft/chewy. Is it clean/dirty, chimey/dull, if distorting, is it smooth/grainy, etc….unless you KNOW the tone you're seeking in measurable/definable terms you can understand, you'll be operating in the blind.
Once I know the sonic fingerprint of the amp, a Fender in this example, I do this:

• I flip through amps in the Fender family, comparing to the 20/20 reference tone until I find the least "blurry" amp. When you reach the amp with closest sonic fingerprint to the reference tone, I guarantee you'll hear it.
  • Leaving that amp at default, I flip back and forth with the reference recording and listen carefully to define precisely what's missing/different.
  • ONLY THEN do I move on to IRs and repeat the process, always comparing to the reference tone. In this example it would be cabs typically used in the Fender amp family.
  • The difference is now I'm using IRs as EQs to refine the tone as close as possible to the reference tone. Like before, once you hit the cab with the closest sonic footprint, you'll know it. You'll hear it.
  • All of the above applies to pedals as well, and when applicable, cab mics. Sometimes you need to start with a block (ex. tubescreamer) in front of the best-guess amp before you do anything else.

Everything above is about learning how to listen, and what to listen for, and coming up with a concrete understanding of exactly where you're at sonically, where exactly you want to go, and some basic ideas of how to get there.

After amp/cab selection, it's all about repeating the process with amp/cab parameters (and other blocks if needed) in order to change what's still missing/different from the reference recording. Doing this effectively requires knowing the parameters well enough to understand which will provide what you need. Otherwise you'll be back down the rabbit hole operating in the blind.

If you do the above, you WILL be in the realm of a desired tone. From there you can explore and dial and make it your own, completely unique to your desires, playing, style, character, etc.

Doing the above doesn't mean you'll end up with generic rigs. I ended up with a FOX ODSII on "werewolves of London" and a supro through a 2x10 super tweed cab mix for Van Morrison's "domino."

The difference is I got there quickly by using an efficient, effective, repeatable method. And once I get there, I often tweak to my preference/taste and have something unique to my axe and playing. I'm sure others share the same goal. This is what works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom