New Here... Hopefully you'll read this!

Tailstop

Inspired
Hello Fractal Forum!
'Felt an introduction was necessary for whatever Machiavellian reasons I may be stowing.
My name is Keith Wright. I live in Seattle and have been playing for over 30 years, teaching for 15, 20+ bands (FIASCO, Brandi Carlile, Point One...), 70+ recordings, toured for 6+ years...
I have read and watched an astounding number of posts and recently purchased AFX2 and GCP. AFX2 coming TUESDAY! I have cleared 3 pedalboards for my new system and have been preempting its arrival while not getting much sleep! needless to say, super excited.

My goal is to actually play my new system for a 2 hour gig in Seattle on NOV 9th. I know, I know, 4+ days of prep before taking it out of the house and jumping in front of at least 250 people might sound ridiculous but thats kinda how I roll. ;) Heres the kicker: Im an acoustic player! Ill be using it probably a bit different than the PetrucciVaiZappaAbassi crowd and will be asking questions in the coming days when Im backed into a corner. This letter is mostly to see who/where my resources are and just how active this group is. So far, I am beyond impressed by the professionalism, Candor, and sheer knowledge the Fractal community has!

I am beyond giddy at the implications AFX2 brings and look forward to an amazing journey!

Thats it! Thanks!

...In Harmony,

Tailstop...

Wow. Ok. Welcome. There IS a learning curve to this thing you know? Read as much as you can here and watch vids. I
'm sure you have already!

Welcome!!! You'll never be the same !! I actually played a show 2 days after I picked up the Axe and used the Stock Presets no problems it sounded great !!!

Welcome Keith , prepare to have your mind blown! your gonna love it!! Just start simple if you have a short time to prepare , work in the advanced stuff as time allows!

Hey, did and acoustic gig this evening and have one tomorrow. Of course I feed my acoustic into the front of the axeII. I use a little compression, the tube pre, and other assorted effects as needed. The axe works great for acoustics. For some strumming things, I use eq to thin out the sound. If its a finger picking thing I can edial in the right hi end snap and also thicken the sound up. If the is space, the reverb is excellent. You will love it.

By the way, if you decide to plug in an electric, you will pleasantly surprised at the vast array of excellent amps on hand. You have purchased THE best guitar tool available.

I play electric guitar, acoustic guitar, lap steel and bass through the Axe II. Works great for all of them. As stated above, you'll probably only need a touch of compression, tube pre. and a bit of reverb or a bit of enhancer to thicken. The sky is the limit.

I knew it. You guys are thick as thieves... :)
I play two Gibson Elite Custom jumbo acoustics (aggressively) thru octaver,DD7, wah, SansAmp, vol, LR Baggs. I've nailed the acoustic/effects thing over the years and have a pretty unique niche here in the NW. I have about 40 electrics and can't wait to line em up with this thing. I am truly twitching right now in anticipation! My AFX is in Portland as of 4:23 this afternoon and am strongly considering drivin 6 hours tomorrow instead of waiting for Tuesday delivery! My son Gibson (6) said he'd go with me!

Question: does the Axe come with a USB cable so I can axe edit ASAP or do I need a third party interface like the Ultra does?

welcome to this place and to the Axe family…

4 days is a short amount of time to nail the unit…
but if you;re pretty switched on [and it sounds like you have some serious milage under your belt] you should fair pretty good…

if you get stuck, dive in here and shout for help..
the 7th Cav will come riding to the rescue..

Welcome. :)

My only advice for you is:

"Bedroom tones don't always translate to stage tones."

From What I understand, this is what im most concerned about. Im going direct on saturday so am less worried than assembling an FRFR rig right from the start...

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. There are many helpful and knowledgeable people here, and if you haven't dived into the wiki yet, it is invaluable :)

From What I understand, this is what im most concerned about. Im going direct on saturday so am less worried than assembling an FRFR rig right from the start...

Thank you!

Welcome!

This may get a little "advanced" blah blah whatever, but I have been thinking about trying to assign one of my external controllers to the tilt eq gain parameter for this purpose. If its a little to bright or dark you can change it really easy on the fly without your hands. May work for your situation better than trying to eq on the front panel if you needed to.

Question: does the Axe come with a USB cable so I can axe edit ASAP or do I need a third party interface like the Ultra does?

USB cable not included, but the Axe II is a USB interface. just get the standard "large" (not mini or micro) USB cable like for a printer or something - you may have one lying around already.

the quickest tip i can share is to create your tones in the same room at close to the same volume. so even if it's on different days or whatever, try to get the tone creating environment to be the same every time. it's true that creating them at stage volume with the exact rig would be even better, but that isn't always possible.

but since you've created all your different tones/patches in the same environment, when you get to the gig and things are too boomy, or too much treble, or not enough mids, etc., you can try to quickly take care of that with the Global EQ (separate ones for Out1 and Out2!) without having to adjust individual presets.

generally speaking, at the gigs i end up making a "frowny" face - cut the bass and treble - in my globals to sit in the mix better than the sound i hear in my office where i create my tones.

good luck and have fun!

Hello Fractal Forum!
'Felt an introduction was necessary for whatever Machiavellian reasons I may be stowing.
My name is Keith Wright. I live in Seattle and have been playing for over 30 years, teaching for 15, 20+ bands (FIASCO, Brandi Carlile, Point One...), 70+ recordings, toured for 6+ years...
I have read and watched an astounding number of posts and recently purchased AFX2 and GCP. AFX2 coming TUESDAY! I have cleared 3 pedalboards for my new system and have been preempting its arrival while not getting much sleep! needless to say, super excited.

My goal is to actually play my new system for a 2 hour gig in Seattle on NOV 9th. I know, I know, 4+ days of prep before taking it out of the house and jumping in front of at least 250 people might sound ridiculous but thats kinda how I roll. ;) Heres the kicker: Im an acoustic player! Ill be using it probably a bit different than the PetrucciVaiZappaAbassi crowd and will be asking questions in the coming days when Im backed into a corner. This letter is mostly to see who/where my resources are and just how active this group is. So far, I am beyond impressed by the professionalism, Candor, and sheer knowledge the Fractal community has!

I am beyond giddy at the implications AFX2 brings and look forward to an amazing journey!

Thats it! Thanks!

...In Harmony,

Tailstop...

Welcome aboard Keith!

The suggestions about using a little compression, the Tube Pre and a tinge of Reverb will get you started.
Then you might want to consider tone matching your acoustic using a serious mic.
Check out the link below:
AxeFx2 Tutorial (EN): Great Acoustic Guitar Sound with Tonematching - YouTube

What kind of acoustic guitar are you using?

Last edited:
PetrucciVaiZappaAbassi Sounds like a mutant clone super guitar player!! The axe if made to fit any style of guitar. It will take a little while to get a sound that you like but once you do, its awesome!

Welcome aboard Keith!

The suggestions about using a little compression, the Tube Pre and a tinge of Reverb will get you started.
Then you might want to consider tone matching your acoustic using a serious mic.
Check out the link below:
AxeFx2 Tutorial (EN): Great Acoustic Guitar Sound with Tonematching - YouTube

What kind of acoustic guitar are you using?

I play the Gibson Elite Jumbo cutaway. Birdseye maple top, flamed back. I was going to settle for an ultra originally but the tone matching videos and x/y capabilities made my mind up for me. I'm doing a session next week and the studio owner JUMPED at the chance to help me get some great acoustic tones and help me tone match. He's mad curious too! I'm positive that the acoustic sounds we'll achieve will be worth sharing with anyone who cares in this forum! :)

For Saturday I was going to keep my mxr 10band in the loop just in case I panic over scooping issues. I am quite positive that after the first adrenaline filled hours pass upon my new AfX arrival, I'm gonna get a patch flow going. Concentrate on a base sound and get my GCP set up for 5/10.

USB cable not included, but the Axe II is a USB interface. just get the standard "large" (not mini or micro) USB cable like for a printer or something - you may have one lying around already.

the quickest tip i can share is to create your tones in the same room at close to the same volume. so even if it's on different days or whatever, try to get the tone creating environment to be the same every time. it's true that creating them at stage volume with the exact rig would be even better, but that isn't always possible.

but since you've created all your different tones/patches in the same environment, when you get to the gig and things are too boomy, or too much treble, or not enough mids, etc., you can try to quickly take care of that with the Global EQ (separate ones for Out1 and Out2!) without having to adjust individual presets.

generally speaking, at the gigs i end up making a "frowny" face - cut the bass and treble - in my globals to sit in the mix better than the sound i hear in my office where i create my tones.

good luck and have fun!

Pro Tip! Thank you!
My setup environment is liberal so I'll get to bring the volume to stage rate. My band members are gonna sh*t themselves when I pour "crystals" over some of the more astral parts of our songs.... I. Can. Not. Wait.

My Axe came with a black 3' usb cable. Not that I didn't have a shit-ton around from every broadband modem I've had, but still.

Back
Top Bottom