There would be a huge market for someone to make an alternative for the MFC-101

jb1331

Think about it, a foot controller for about $300-$400 with a firmware out of the box ready to use, a couple of quality expression pedals, tap tempo and a display... ready to use out of the box..

The supply issues on the MFC-101 is ridiculous.

Love my AXE-FX2 .. I am just not willing to pay $1k for an MFC-101.

I use my old trusty Lexicon MPX-R1. Solid/compact/"relatively" easy to program. I wish Fractal would make something similar to it but with a MFC display.

The MPX-R1 has got red/green LEDs but unfortunately I can't get them to work as an "effect available but off" indicator like on the MFC (nor can I get the MPX to "read" the effects from the AXE) but once you get over it's short fallings it's a bit of a bargain and fun to use.

Think about it, a foot controller for about $300-$400 with a firmware out of the box ready to use, a couple of quality expression pedals, tap tempo and a display... ready to use out of the box..

The supply issues on the MFC-101 is ridiculous.

Love my AXE-FX2 .. I am just not willing to pay $1k for an MFC-101.

Agree. No chance i'm paying $1000 for a midi foot controller either..,

+1 on the GCP. I am using it live and it works just fine. Scene selection being one of the main features I rely on. What does the MFC-101 offer that the GCP does not? I am sure there are a few things but is there anything that would make me want to run out and buy an MFC-101?

Haven't kept up on these, which is the next best option to a MFC101?

Well, that depends on your needs. There was a chart floating around here at one point where somebody had every stat for 15 different midi controllers (functions, #buttons, price, etc...) but it was before the AFXII came out. Many of those options (if not all) are still viable for use with the II.

Here's the thing: no matter what MIDI controller you use, there will be some setup/programming. The MFC is easier than the original LF Jr. that I had, but I hear the new series is stellar.

I grabbed an MFC-101 at the same time I got an Axe II.
Yes it's not cheap - neither is the Axe II.
BUT - you get what you pay for.
The Axe II has amazing sounds and gives you the equivalent of so many amps which would cost you hundreds of thousands to invest in.
The MFC-101 is built like a tank.
I figured I'd only ever need to do this once and don't regret it for a moment.
Ditto my camera lenses - yes they are very expensive for just pieces of glass, but what you can do with them over times makes them worth their weight in gold.
Just my $0.02 ;)

I grabbed an MFC-101 at the same time I got an Axe II.
Yes it's not cheap - neither is the Axe II.
BUT - you get what you pay for.
The Axe II has amazing sounds and gives you the equivalent of so many amps which would cost you hundreds of thousands to invest in.
The MFC-101 is built like a tank.
I figured I'd only ever need to do this once and don't regret it for a moment.
Ditto my camera lenses - yes they are very expensive for just pieces of glass, but what you can do with them over times makes them worth their weight in gold.
Just my $0.02 ;)

couldn't agree more. I'm sure there are other units that could get you 75% of the way there, but none that can do everything the MFC can, not to mention build quality, out of the box compatibility, etc.

+1 on the GCP. I am using it live and it works just fine. Scene selection being one of the main features I rely on. What does the MFC-101 offer that the GCP does not? I am sure there are a few things but is there anything that would make me want to run out and buy an MFC-101?

The MFC is in a different league when it comes to midi boards not really a fair comparison :lol. The GCP is a great bang for the buck and for a working musician or hobbyist I think is a great alternative to the other offerings if you don't require all of the fancy things that the more expensive boards have to offer + it has been road proven over many years.

More buttons, 4 expression inputs vs. 2 on the GCP, Ethernet port, power via CAT-5 cable, bi-directional communication with the AxeFX (ie, can get the patch name, effect on/off/not present status without programming), the ability to display the tuner. Just off the top of my head these are some advantages the MFC has over the GCP.

I've owned both and the GCP is a great controller for the price. If you don't need the additional features of the MFC and are okay with more programming legwork it's perfectly suitable for the AxeFX. The main advantage the GCP has over the MFC now is that you can actually order one without having to get on a waiting list or pay a premium.

+1 on the Lexicon R1. If someone would write a new chip that would speak bidirectionally with the axeII the way it does with the G2 and send cc w/ values, their price would shoot through the roof.

There would be a huge market for someone to make an alternative for the MFC-101 ... Think about it, a foot controller for about $300-$400 with a firmware out of the box ready to use, a couple of quality expression pedals, tap tempo and a display... ready to use out of the box..

The problem is that everyone wants something different from their MFC, which means it either needs to be
(a) highly programmable, which means expensive like plenty of good options already available, such as the MFC-101
or (b) simple with maybe a few different config options - appeals to less people, still expensive if you want it to receive tuner/patch info
or (c) very basic, just sends a few PC and CCs - lots of cheap stuff out there like this already

I've made my own, which works exactly the way I want, and maybe it might suit a very small number of others. It's highly configurable and more powerful in some ways than anything available anywhere, but again, that won't suit everyone. There's no way I consider there to be a huge market for it.

Building your own requires some medium-level programming, electronics and metal work skills, and quite a few around here have done it. You could enquire at your local robotics club - they're full of guys who have their programming and electronics down pat.

The problem is that everyone wants something different from their MFC, which means it either needs to be
(a) highly programmable, which means expensive like plenty of good options already available, such as the MFC-101
or (b) simple with maybe a few different config options - appeals to less people, still expensive if you want it to receive tuner/patch info
or (c) very basic, just sends a few PC and CCs - lots of cheap stuff out there like this already

The TB-12 costs $350 with shipping and midi cables, displays Axe FX patch names and the tuner and, apparently, syncs IA states. It even has an equivalent to the MFC's reveal mode. It would seem to be exactly what people are requesting. I'll find out myself in a couple months (like the MFC, it's a bit backordered :lol)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/68693-bj-devices-tb-12-review.html

Really, this entire thread is mystifying to me. If you look out there, there is any sort of alternative to the MFC that anyone could want. Now, if what you're really looking for is something does exactly what the MFC does for less money, then well, you're out of luck.
-
Austin

The TB-12 costs $350 with shipping and midi cables, displays Axe FX patch names and the tuner and, apparently, syncs IA states. It even has an equivalent to the MFC's reveal mode. It would seem to be exactly what people are requesting. I'll find out myself in a couple months (like the MFC, it's a bit backordered :lol)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/68693-bj-devices-tb-12-review.html

thanks for the tip! never heard of that. Looks promising. Let us know what you think of it once you have it.

So far in that price range we have:
-TB12
-Voodoo Lab Ground Control
-Rocktron Midi Raider

they all look good to me, depending on how you want to use it. So Plenty of choice here.

Back
Top Bottom