Why Do I Have To Keep Calibrating My Expression Pedals?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Three times now my expression pedals have not worked in my presets for v10. All I have to do is calibrate them within the mfc and then they work fine. They don't seem to stay working though. Anyone know what's up with this?

Thanks

Is this happening to you upon start up with your MFC?

If so, just click to a different preset, then switch back, and the expression pedals should work as normal without you having to fool with calibration.

(There may be a minor MFC bug and if so it will be fixed soon, but that is the super easy workaround).

Might be a bug. I powered down and then came back later and it was fine. Then I powered down again and came back and it was not working again. Just randomly uncalibrates. I've tried different presets.
Maybe an mfc update is coming?

so they "uncalibrate" and it doesn't work at all? or the range is wrong?

calibration really only sets the useable range of the pedal, so that might not be the issue (although strangely it's a solution) and it might be something else entirely.

Mine has stopped working also at power up a few times. I switch presets a couple times and it starts back working.

Are these older AxeFx units? Like, maybe a year to 18 months? Could be the memory battery is about to take a dirt nap.

so they "uncalibrate" and it doesn't work at all? or the range is wrong?

calibration really only sets the useable range of the pedal, so that might not be the issue (although strangely it's a solution) and it might be something else entirely.

I'm not sure if they uncalibrate. But unless I calibrate none of the pedals work as controllers. As soon as I calibrate they work fine.

Has anyone had trouble with the calibration getting stuck on "Learning"? I'm itching to try out v10 but I can't the expression pedal to work. Using an HD500 for Midi control. Worked great with 9.02.

Not at all, I'm trying to do everything using the front panel. It also seems I also lost other midi switching capabilities after I reset the system parameters. It's been so long since I programmed my HD500 to control the Axe that I forgot some of the settings.

Calibration and learning are 2 different things. Learning mode tells the axe what CC# to listen to.

Can you describe your calibration process, menus buttons etc?

I tried having the Axe learn the cc by going to I/O-->CTRL highlight EXT CTRL 1 and hit enter. This is where it gets stuck on "Learning". I then tried to get the pedal calibrated by going to I/O-->PEDAL-->PEDAL CAL, and hit enter. Seems like it doesn't recognize the pedal. Pedal type is set to Continuous. I just don't get it, when I move the pedal and press the switches on the HD500 I see the "Midi In" light up. My pedal setup has been working great for the past couple years with this setup, I just upgraded to v10, strummed a little bit before resetting system params, tested my patches (switching, presets, etc), and then after system param reset that's when I started having this issue. I really appreciate the help.

According to the pod manual, the expression pedal is CC#1. So instead of learn, just set the number to 1 and see if it works.

The Calibrate function in that menu is only for an expression pedal connected directly to the Pedal jack on the rear of the axe, not Midi foot controllers.

I tried it but same result. The thing is, is that it worked great before, the only change was resetting the system parameters. I am really at a loss as I have a gig tomorrow night. I know I shouldn't have upgraded so close to performing but I got the call right after I updated. I'm at the point of going back to 9.02 but I can't find my FW library.

Has anyone had trouble with the calibration getting stuck on "Learning"? I'm itching to try out v10 but I can't the expression pedal to work. Using an HD500 for Midi control. Worked great with 9.02.
this happened to me when i updated the fw10.
i didn't realize that the fw10 was causing some problems with my mfc101 and had thought my mfc101 had gone berserk.
i then reset my mfc, which by default inactivated expression 3.
when i set the i/o controllers to pick up my expression pedal 3, the axe fx remain stuck at "learning"
not sure if this is at all related to your problem, but thought i'd just share mine.

Not sure if it's related somehow. I'm still trying to figure this out and going through all of the MIDI settings by trial and error. I am really not happy about this, I've tried going back to 9.02, then back to 10, resetting system parameters, I tried everything I could think of. Extremely frustrating as I needed this time to practice not mess with this stuff...

What midi channel is your Pod transmitting on?

Check out pages B5 and B6 in the Advanced hd500 manual. It shows how to assign the Expression pedal and switches to specific CC numbers.

I always recommend leaving the axe control page at default values and adjusting the foot controller.

I know the midi light is turning on, but it may not be the midi data you want. Check the pod's midi setup to make sure it is transmitting the right stuff to the axe.

Thanks Chris, that got me in the right direction. I had to set the MIDI Channel to OMNI and PROG Change to ON. btw, your videos have been a huge help for me when I was setting up the wah portion of the HD500 a while back. Everything works great so far. Now, time to practice!!

Hey,

For what its worth, and maybe this got mentioned above, but have you checked your cables? I had this exact same behavior, i would calibrate the pedal, but when I went back to check the calibration it wasn't there. It was as though I had never done it.

You have to have a true TRS cable between each jack. I did this using an insert cable at first - TRS on one end, but split out to two singles on the other. I was using a mission pedal and assumed this was cool, one leg for the pot and the other for the switch. Uh huh. You need a dedicated good quality TRS for each connection. Once I had that, my problems with the calibration not sticking went away.

Back
Top Bottom