Planning to get a Suhr 7 string guitar made.

immortal_soloist

Power User
Hey guys,
Hopefully in a few days I am planning to place an order for my custom Suhr 7 string,I know Suhr make fantastic guitars. What is your input on this.

Cheers.

up until i played a suhr modern, the ebmm jp6 was by far the best guitar ive ever touched. the suhr is to the ebmm what that ebmm was to every other guitar ive ever played. i have a modern on order now and i had to buy a used one on cl to hold me over until then. suhr has cured my guitar gas as much as the axe has cured my amp gas...at least for the time being (which is over a year, a long time for me)

You can't go wrong with any Suhr. If anything, the only problem is that is raises your standards on other guitars, making the rest rather unattractive. ;-)

In all seriousness, its all about the woods with Suhr. I've owned many....ordered 4 guitars with the same specs just to learn about tone woods (koa, alder, basswood and mahogany) and have owned many others. Once you learn about what woods speak to you for the application you are going for, then its the finer stuff like neck shape, radius, frets, etc.

Since you're used to the EBMM JPM guitars, basswood with a maple top, maple neck and rosewood board would be a logical choice. That's a great wood combo for down-tuned stuff.....but that's me making some major assumptions. Are you looking for something that is the natural evolution of the JPM or are you looking for something quite different?

Great guitars, just make sure you know the specs you want them to build it to. I couldn't imagine anything worse then spending a grip of cash on an instrument you don't like to play.

up until i played a suhr modern, the ebmm jp6 was by far the best guitar ive ever touched. the suhr is to the ebmm what that ebmm was to every other guitar ive ever played. i have a modern on order now and i had to buy a used one on cl to hold me over until then. suhr has cured my guitar gas as much as the axe has cured my amp gas...at least for the time being (which is over a year, a long time for me)

Thank you for your response,
Looking forward to buying my guitar :)

You can't go wrong with any Suhr. If anything, the only problem is that is raises your standards on other guitars, making the rest rather unattractive. ;-)

In all seriousness, its all about the woods with Suhr. I've owned many....ordered 4 guitars with the same specs just to learn about tone woods (koa, alder, basswood and mahogany) and have owned many others. Once you learn about what woods speak to you for the application you are going for, then its the finer stuff like neck shape, radius, frets, etc.

Since you're used to the EBMM JPM guitars, basswood with a maple top, maple neck and rosewood board would be a logical choice. That's a great wood combo for down-tuned stuff.....but that's me making some major assumptions. Are you looking for something that is the natural evolution of the JPM or are you looking for something quite different?
Appreciate the response :)
This time I wanted something different,
So I decided to have an Alder Body with a Mahogany tone block with a maple neck.

Great guitars, just make sure you know the specs you want them to build it to. I couldn't imagine anything worse then spending a grip of cash on an instrument you don't like to play.

Absolutely I am really making sure what I want on the guitar,
but this time I want something different from what I played.
The specs I have sort of chosen cut through more in the mix.

Interesting. I was not aware that Suhr would do a tone block. Looking forward to how this turns out!
Well turns out they don't do a Tone block,but you know I have played Alder previously as well before musicman and I quiet like it so this should be good. I am getting a floyd rose on it with piezo saddles that Mattsmusic would install for me on the guitar. Shall be interesting for sure,looking forward to the guitar man :)

My input would be... Will you buy two and give one to me? :)

Congrats on your purchase.

Pray I write a kick ass record and get an endorsement,I promise I'll send one your way then :D
Thank you,it will take 5 to 6 months to build... My Music Man had been damaged some years ago by the irresponsible airline folks. They didn't let me hand carry it,when it was in a soft shell case.

So yea when it got damaged everything in it has been kind of a mess. I managed to make it work from 2008 to present but now it keeps getting out of tune every 5 minutes,the body is damaged and no it's not an intonation problem.

I decided to contact Ernieball and get it repaired but it was costing 4 times more than what I had bought the guitar for.

So once I have more money I'll get it repaired properly with a new body and everything. It has retired for the time being,so yea would be without an electric guitar for quiet sometime.

Pray I write a kick ass record and get an endorsement,I promise I'll send one your way then :D

Saving this! :)

I have a Parker Custom on order. Its been a few months. They should be starting it anytime now! Looking forward to seeing your 7 string when completed. Heck I can't even conquer 6. I was thinking of going the Keith Richards route and getting only 5. :roll

I just took delivery of a suhr modern an hour ago that I ordered in may 2011. A long wait but even after a half an hour, and with a badly sprained and strapped wrist, I can tell this is something special. Finish is just perfect and it feels beautiful.

I just took delivery of a suhr modern an hour ago that I ordered in may 2011. A long wait but even after a half an hour, and with a badly sprained and strapped wrist, I can tell this is something special. Finish is just perfect and it feels beautiful.

The Keith Richards Route would have been interesting but the way I see it is like the more strings you have the more options of adding and experimenting with notes. I was initially getting an 8 string made but after careful research and consideration a jump from 6 to 8 wasn't the wisest,saw so many differing opinions on it but then came across a video where a guy who was a 7 stringer showed the width of the 8 string and how badly sore his fingers were. The guy wasn't a newbie either he was quiet professional at what he did. So a jump from 6 to 8 naa,plus I always wanted a 7 string anyways and a Suhr 7 string was a dream of mine :D.
I will post a sound clip or video once I get it,can't wait. Let me know the status of your custom Parker,and do record a clip when you get it man. Congrats on that awesome guitar :D!

That's fantastic!!! Congrats on your purchase and arrival of your modern Suhr. I am sure it sounds amazing post a clip whenever you get a chance and I hope your wrist recovers soon. 4 months isn't that bad considering I've been told it would take 6 months or so..... Phew,I hope mine comes in 4 months.

WAIT 2011 you mean a year!!!!! WOW!!!! That's looooooooooooooooooooong!

the trick is to buy from a dealer who preorders the guitars to effectively save a spot in the line. when you decide to purchase, they can make a change to the order to get you the guitar you want without the 9 month wait. i just started talking to my dealer about a month ago and i should have it in september

Back
Top Bottom