Mama's back: The Mother-of-all-pedal-and-effect-emulations-thread for Axe-Fx II

Status
Not open for further replies.

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Once upon a time, dear people, there was The Mother-of-all-pedal-and-effects-emulations thread. An initiative to share emulated real-world pedal and effects on the Axe-Fx. Quite successful if I may say so.

Now there's the Axe-Fx II in full glory. File formats have changed. Effect settings have changed. "Types" within blocks have been introduced. All in all a good time to breath new life into this topic. To go where no "mother-of" thread has ever gone before.

The "rules" still apply:

1) Post only stuff that's Axe-Fx II compatible.
1) List the effect settings in your post, OR attach a .SYX file. Note: this is NOT a preset, but just a single block. How to save an effect block: in Axe-Edit right-click on a block, select Library > Save. You'll find the saved file in Documents\Fractal Audio\AxeEdit\blocks. Vice versa, to load such a file, put it in that folder, restart Axe-Edit, right-click on a space in the grid, select Library > Recall.
2) Keep it simple: preferable single blocks.
3) Keep it to pedals and stuff like "PCM Concert Hall" reverb.
4) Use a separate post for each effect.
5) Describe if it's mono or stereo, if it goes before of after Amp/Cab, if it's in series or parallel.
6) Name the source if you copied it from someone.
7) Try not to go wild. Keep it to proven emulations, not the "I-think-I-have-captured-Eric-Johnson's-tone-using-the-Metal-Zone" result from late last night.
8 ) List the firmware version.

Here we go again!

I'll start off with some blocks. Some of the stuff in there is based on the experience and tips of guys like Javajunkie, Matman etc.

Note that block files attached to posts in this thread prior to the release of Axe-Edit 3.02 (Oct 10 2013) are NOT compatible with Axe-Edit 3 and later. Visit this thread for effect blocks for AE 3.02 and later:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...other-all-pedal-effect-emulations-thread.html

Last edited:
Automatic volume swells (Boss Slow Gear effect):

- A VOL block at the beginning of the chain, with its Volume parameter attached to the Envelope controller.
- Set Taper to Log 20A.
- Envelope controller settings: -59,8 threshold, 914 attack, 65 release, 3,27 Gain.

Last edited:
Compressor settings which work well with clean sounds IMHO. Nothing over the top, just add some body to the sound.

Series, at the beginning of the chain.

Type: Pedal 2
Auto: Off
Sustain: 2.25
Attack: 1.000
Release: 10.00

Last edited:
Wah block. These days I just use the Clyde type for clean tones, and the Cry Babe for dirty tones.

Last edited:
Here the RingMod is not used for robotic sounds, but to add a low octave to notes. It tracks the notes played. I prefer it to Octave Divider (Pitch block) and to Fixed Harmony (also Pitch). Based on a old tip from Cliff.

Series, before the Amp block.

Freq. 199.9
Fmult 0.500
Track: on
HiCut 300
Mix 30%

Last edited:
The (Uni-)vibe, one of my favorite effects.

Classic vibe
Rate 1.075
Depth 6.75
Feedback 0
Freq Start 300
Mix 44%
Feedback Tap on

Last edited:
Face Fuzz. I use this on top of a clean tone.

Face Fuzz
Drive 7.30
Tone 5
Level 7.15
LowCut 200
High Cut 4999

Last edited:
Vibrato: authentic, powerful and mood-shaping.

Chorus type: Analog Mono
2 voices
Rate 3.507
Depth 60
Delay time 5.0
Mix 100%!

Last edited:
Rotary / Leslie emulation, yummie! A head turner at gigs, always is. I use an IA switch to alternate between slow and fast rate.

Series, after the Amp block.

Rate: External controller. Slow = 1.300. Fast = 7000
Low depth: 15.5
High depth: 15
High level: -4
Rotor length: 80
Low rate mult: 0.900
LF mic spacing: 0
HF mic spacing: 50
Mix 85%
Drive 4
Level 2.5

Last edited:
Tremolo. As I get older myself, my appreciation for vintage tones / fx seems to increase. Things like fuzz, tremolo, vibrato...

Series, after the Amp.

Rate is controlled by an IA switch, making use of Damping to make tempo changes gradual.

Rate: External. Slow: 2.752. Fast: 7.014. Damp 350
Depth: 65
LFO type: Triangle
Duty 50
Level 3

Last edited:
I use a Graphic EQ block for leads. I take down a few sliders for freqs I don't need. I use Level to increase the volume level with 4 dB. And I bump 1 kHz a little to add some mids to the tone.

Series, at the end of the chain.

31: -12
63: -12
125: -12
250: 0
500: 0
1k: 2
2k: 0
4k: 0
8k: -2
16k: -12

Last edited:
Octavia, combination of a fuzz and an extra (high) octave on top. Sounds best when played around the 12th fret.

Series, before the Amp.

Octavia Dist
Drive 5.50
Tone 5
Level 5.25

Last edited:
Another flavor of Phaser. This one is based on the BiPhase in the Line 6 MM4.

Before the Amp block.

Digital moo
Rate 0.503
Depth 6.26
Feedback 67.5
Freq 199
Order 12
LFO triangle
Freq span 3.94
Mix 50

Last edited:
TS 808 Boost
Used to push an amp over the edge or tighten up the low end on high gain sounds.
Series, before amp block. Try changing the drive type to achieve different types of boost.

Attachments

• TS808 Boost.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
A Talkbox emulation, using the Formant block.

Control is attached to the Envelope controller.

Series, after the Amp block. Use a crunchy amp tone or add a Drive block.

OOO-UHH-AAA
Res 4
Mix 100
Control: External
Level: -1.5

Last edited:
Tempo Wah and 1/4 wah. These are to be used together. One is the wah block, the other is a controller set to LFO and the LFO is set to the 1/4 note.
This is so you can autowah and use your tap tempo button/switch to control the speed of the sweep. The controller part can be used for anything you
can think that would benefit from having tap tempo control.
I have a two button momentary switch I use with my MFC-101 and have one switch set to latch, and the other set for momentary and both setup to turn wahwah1 on and off.
One only comes on when I hold it, the other toggles on and off as I press it. Works great. Adjust to your likings and enjoy this neat little trick.

Use: Series, before amp and drive blocks.
Note: Tempo Wah is the actual wah block and 14wah is a CONTROLLER. <-----important to make this work right.

Edit: my switch can be seen and found here. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/47402-she-likes-d.html#post617591

Attachments

• TempoWah.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 14 Wah.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Tape Distortion. This mode of the Drive block represents an old Ampex EQ curve, emulating the tonal impact of a tape recorder. it makes a clean tone fatter, without changing it in other ways.

Put it after the Amp/Cab blocks, in series. Adjust its level if necessary, to maintain unity gain.
Note that it sums incoming stereo signals, so the output is mono.

Attachments

• TapeDist.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 342
Spent sometime trying to port the pedals from the Ultra thread and Voes's excellent youtube video's regarding the Ultra's drive blocks. Don't know how good these came out. (Never owned an Ultra myself.) So try them at your own risk.

Props to the people posting them in the first place (Voes, Yek, DonPetersen, Scott Peterson, Javajunkie etc.) Further descriptions regarding placement in the FX chain are also in the original thread for the Ultra. (Most are of course "in series before AMP"

First the various Wah's:

View attachment Jerry Cantrell Dark.syx
View attachment Ibanez WH10 Wah.syx
View attachment Clyde Wah.syx
View attachment Cry Baby Wah.syx
View attachment Budda Wah.syx
View attachment Bad Horsie Wah.syx
View attachment 1-THE-SUPA-QUACK!.syx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back