Peter Frampton - Where the hell have I been

sarge

Power User
Not that I hadn't heard Peter Frampton before, I just never paid him much notice.

Was flipping through channels today and caught about 30 minutes of his concert on HD net/

All I can say is WOW.

His tone and playing were just out of this world. And the guy sings great as well.

I don't know how old he is, but after catching some of his old stuff on youtube, it seems he sounds as good as he ever did.

I'm just wondering how much killer older stuff is out there I have yet to discover

Unfortunately they are not playing it again today. They got the Zac Brown band, which I am sure I will enjoy, and the Indigo girls (which I am pretty certain I will not) going the rest of the night.

Yeah you have missed out. glad you caught him now.
I always liked his tone. Go back and listen to lines on my face, and do you feel off the OLD live album.
He got me thinking jazz licks before i knew what jazz was. Bill Nelson from Bebop Deluxe was one of his influences, mine also.

Would be great if Pete lent his Ampeg Super Echo Twin to Cliff to model!!

Something I found while researching his early tones

For the uninitated this is actually two 30-watt amps (ReverbRocket amps) put in the same box. These were enormously expensive when they came out and actually sold for more than Fender Showmans and Fender Twin Reverbs in the day. The stereo panning effect from one speaker to the next (left to right) is pretty intense. It must be heard to be believed.

These are super rare amplifiers, this being the Super Echo Twin, instead of just the earlier Echo Twin. This was a favorite of Peter Frampton's and can be heard on the solos on the Frampton Comes Alive! album

http://www.frontiernet.net/~montevina/Ampeg Super Echo Twin1.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~montevina/Ampeg Super Echo Twin8.jpg

http://www.schematicx.com/schematic/ampeg-et-2b-super-echo-twin-amplifier-schematic/

Last edited:
hope he's not too good, I could have just seen him in a local small theater in my semi small town, though I did catch the Satch there!

There is also an earlier album from when he was about 17 called "Frampton's Camel" (no idea why :)) that is worth a listen. Sorry to have to tell you but if you missed seeing him in a small venue you missed one of the greatest players of all time :)

Cheers S ( o )===:::

Frampton is getting better with age. And a really nice guy.
Honestly, I am not sure I have seen someone enjoy playing for others as much as Frampton.

Not that I hadn't heard Peter Frampton before, I just never paid him much notice.

Was flipping through channels today and caught about 30 minutes of his concert on HD net/

All I can say is WOW.

His tone and playing were just out of this world. And the guy sings great as well.

I don't know how old he is, but after catching some of his old stuff on youtube, it seems he sounds as good as he ever did.

I'm just wondering how much killer older stuff is out there I have yet to discover

Unfortunately they are not playing it again today. They got the Zac Brown band, which I am sure I will enjoy, and the Indigo girls (which I am pretty certain I will not) going the rest of the night.

I take it you are in your 20s or 30s? Many of us "older folks" (50) wore the grooves off Frampton comes Alive in the mid 70s. Nice to see the younguns checkin out classic rock

Yeah Frampton comes alive was a classic album. Listened to it a lot in my early teens in the mid to late 70s. Actually played Show me the way in my own band back then too. Will be seeing him next month for the first time on the tour for the 35 year anniversary of that album, is playing the complete album. Going to be very nostalgic.

Peter is one of the famous ones who plays for the right reasons. For him it's all about the music, and that joy of sharing that with others. He plays with a great deal of feeling / passion.

I highly recommend "Peter Frampton Live in Detroit". It's an outstanding live DVD. "Now" is a more recent album. He covers "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with a beautiful, "old" Les Paul tone. Many of the cuts on that album are outstanding. He did an album called "Fingerprints" that won him a grammy. It's a must-have as well.

I have a great deal of respect for Peter, his tone, his song writing and most of all, for his musical integrity.

You'll enjoy discovering him!

Terry.

Peter is one of the famous ones who plays for the right reasons. For him it's all about the music, and that joy of sharing that with others. He plays with a great deal of feeling / passion.

I highly recommend "Peter Frampton Live in Detroit". It's an outstanding live DVD. "Now" is a more recent album. He covers "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with a beautiful, "old" Les Paul tone. Many of the cuts on that album are outstanding. He did an album called "Fingerprints" that won him a grammy. It's a must-have as well.

I have a great deal of respect for Peter, his tone, his song writing and most of all, for his musical integrity.

Terry.

+1 IMHO one of the most underrated classic rock guitarists of all time! ;)

He's one of my favorites. I can't get enough of his tone or his playing. I'm in my mid-twenties, so I missed out on Frampton Comes Alive and all that stuff. I found him 7 or 8 years ago I think when DirecTV had his Frampton Live in Detroit concert as the featured concert to watch one month. I was in a back bedroom of the house and heard someone listening to it in the living room. The playing I heard was fantastic so I went to see who it was. I couldn't pull myself away from the television for the next hour and a half. I recorded it and watched it over and over again.

I got to see him live a few years ago and he's simply the real deal.

D

I take it you are in your 20s or 30s? Many of us "older folks" (50) wore the grooves off Frampton comes Alive in the mid 70s. Nice to see the younguns checkin out classic rock

Don't I wish.

No, actually I'm 40.

I was into the shred thing back when I was first learning to play.

As I have gotten older my tastes have changed considerably.

I find myself getting more interested in music that was before my time then I do in newer stuff. Though I do like some newer stuff

I was into Frampton pretty early in my musical life (was probably 12 or 13 when I first got into him), first with Humble Pie, then his solo albums and "Frampton Comes Alive." I heard him back in the day on a mega tour after FCA. Who knows how the music was? Big field, had to leave early because my pal's parents said so, etc. Then I saw him about 5 years ago at a free festival in St. Paul, MN. He was great. I think the entire band was the same band from FCA. I love his jazzy version of rock guitar and the kind of linear playing he does. Overall his tunes and music aren't a big favorite any more, but I like his playing a lot and when I heard him, he was totally into it, sounding excellent and seemed really happy and grateful to be doing what he's doing this far down the line.

seemed really happy and grateful to be doing what he's doing this far down the line.

Peter came upon some hard times after his big success, when everything fell apart. It was so bad that David Bowie gave him a gig as his guitar player just to help him meet ends. He's rebounded back, but I wonder if that time didn't instill some of that gratefulness in him. When it's all taken away, and then comes back, it's all the more sweet.

Terry.

Peter came upon some hard times after his big success, when everything fell apart. It was so bad that David Bowie gave him a gig as his guitar player just to help him meet ends. He's rebounded back, but I wonder if that time didn't instill some of that gratefulness in him. When it's all taken away, and then comes back, it's all the more sweet.

Terry.

That is interesting.

From the HD net concert he struck me as a sober guy out there having the time of his life out there singing and playing guitar.

Terry.

Just added "Peter Frampton Live in Detroit" to my blockbuster queue.

Thanks for the recomendation

Back
Top Bottom