Is this noise normal?

Kablesp

I love my FM3, but it's always been noisy to me. Ive attached an audio clip of the noise and was wondering if you guys could help me figure it out. I am using the new Brit 2203 High with the gain set to 3.6 and the master set at 6. Nothing else was used besides a DynaCab. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Try enabling the Noise Reducer mode of the Input Gate and make sure to set the global AC Line Frequency to match what is used in your country.

Also, what happens if you unplug your guitar and cable from the FM3?

Unix, I tried what you suggested but nothing truly gets rid of the noise. The gate was the closest but it has to be almost all the way up on the threshold to get quiet enough. Im not so concerned about it when im not playing as I am when I play softer or quieter and the noise gets much more noticeable. This happens without any pedals through the FM3, as well as when the cord is not plugged in.

I added a new clip in my first post that shows me unplugging the guitar and the noise gets louder it seems. I am using a Les Paul with Humbuckers. The FM3 is plugged directly into the wall if that helps.

Okay, it's not the FM3 itself, which I didn't think it would be. No cable into the unit results in no noise, but I still get the noise when only a cable is plugged in. Moving it around does change the amount of noise but it never truly goes away. I am assuming it is some kind of interference but I cannot pinpoint it. I have unplugged everything I can and still get some noise, so maybe my house is just noisy.

The weird thing is, is that when I use my amp into the same output, I get no noise. But the FM3 into the amp gives me the same noise.

Last edited:
Okay, it's not the FM3 itself, which I didn't think it would be. No cable into the unit results in no noise, but I still get the noise when only a cable is plugged in. Moving it around does change the amount of noise but it never truly goes away. I am assuming it is some kind of interference but I cannot pinpoint it. I have unplugged everything I can and still get some noise, so maybe my house is just noisy.

Do you still get noise when you roll your volume on the guitar all the way off?

What are you using to hear the sound (speaker, headphones, etc)?

When you say you unplug everything, what is everything?

Do you still get noise when you roll your volume on the guitar all the way off?

What are you using to hear the sound (speaker, headphones, etc)?

When you say you unplug everything, what is everything?

When I roll the volume down there is no noise. When I unplug the cable from the guitar, I do get the same noise so I am eliminating guitars from the equation. Ive tried several and they all give the same noise, all humbuckers. I have unplugged monitors, monitor speakers, bluetooth adapters, USB cables, turntables, and none of them affect the noise. I have tried listening back through my studio monitors through my Apollo, and also the headphone jack on the FM3 itself with the same results.

When I roll the volume down there is no noise. When I unplug the cable from the guitar, I do get the same noise so I am eliminating guitars from the equation. Ive tried several and they all give the same noise, all humbuckers. I have unplugged monitors, monitor speakers, bluetooth adapters, USB cables, turntables, and none of them affect the noise. I have tried listening back through my studio monitors through my Apollo, and also the headphone jack on the FM3 itself with the same results.

Sorry if I missed this, but did you take the FM3, guitar, headphones and plug directly into the wall of a bedroom or other type of room that has no other AV equipment on the circuit?

But the cable without a guitar isn't a useful case... Both are acting as an antenna for the EMI...

Do you have LED or florescent lights in your house? Or light dimmers?

If you unplug the laptop power adapter from the electrical outlet and power off the laptop do you still get the noise?

Unfortunately, EMI sucks and can be a problem to track down...

I love my FM3, but it's always been noisy to me. Ive attached an audio clip of the noise and was wondering if you guys could help me figure it out. I am using the new Brit 2203 High with the gain set to 3.6 and the master set at 6. Nothing else was used besides a DynaCab. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
More things to consider in addition to what @unix-guy just wrote, some of which have been mentioned with different verbiage. Simplification and isolation of the unit away from where you first noticed the noise is paramount, be it a different room or a different part of town, but regardless...
  • Is the FM3 and whatever you are monitoring with plugged into a common electrical source? (Think, audio power conditioner plugged into a single outlet box.)
  • Are there other things plugged into the same circuit as the FM3 and whatever you are monitoring with? (Think computers, motorized fans, lots of things connected by USB cables without isolation transformers inline...)
  • Does your AC power source comprise sufficient audio filtering? (Think a new audio power conditioner strip vs. an office surge protector or worse as @12fd was asking...)

I have the problem too, on the FM3 and AXEIII, I never noticed it before the FW25 and FW8, with different SGs, 57 Classic humbuckers. I have already turned off all the devices in the room and also the lights. Changed the room. No change. Unfortunately, the noise gate only works when I'm not playing. You can hear that while playing. I think it's because of the SW changes in Noise Gate. Can you try out the FW7 on FM3 (don't forget the backup)?

Last edited:
i had a similar problem with the AX8. I even got a radio signal in the sound that came out. Turned out it was some bad electricity where we lived. Moved to a new place and the problem went away. Try it at a different location. Either in the house you live in, or someplace else

Nothing changed in the room (just the FW) and I already changed the room. I also tries different cables, both Sommer Cable SPIRIT LLX high quality cables with low loss.

I also could try it outside with the power of my e-car ...

Back
Top Bottom