Andre Flood on why some people think PRS guitars have no mojo

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm my experience, each PRS actually IS different, in spite of their very good quality control.

Just shows how ideas get started on the net and propagate. Though I have no idea if anyone li6sten to this guy.

I read the comments on the youtube video, in full disclosue I didn't watch the video. But the comments talk about how brilliant the DGT SE is. To each their own, but there is a PRS SE DGT Goldtop boxed in my foyer waiting for me to drop off at FedEx to return. It was AWFUL. The QC didn't seem bad but the tuners were terrible, and the pickups were beyond terrible. I guess having all Fralin pickups on my other guitars has spoiled me. I tried numerous presets and adjustments and the pickups sounded tinny, thin and weak. I can't believe that even DG could make them sound good. I finally unplugged the DGT and plugged in a Thinline Tele with Fralin Humbuckers and even my wife from upstairs knew instantly that I had changed guitars and that the difference in sound was beyond noticeable. Just my two cents. I hope others get much enjoyment out of the SE DGT. Not me.

I read the comments on the youtube video, in full disclosue I didn't watch the video. But the comments talk about how brilliant the DGT SE is. To each their own, but there is a PRS SE DGT Goldtop boxed in my foyer waiting for me to drop off at FedEx to return. It was AWFUL. The QC didn't seem bad but the tuners were terrible, and the pickups were beyond terrible. I guess having all Fralin pickups on my other guitars has spoiled me. I tried numerous presets and adjustments and the pickups sounded tinny, thin and weak. I can't believe that even DG could make them sound good. I finally unplugged the DGT and plugged in a Thinline Tele with Fralin Humbuckers and even my wife from upstairs knew instantly that I had changed guitars and that the difference in sound was beyond noticeable. Just my two cents. I hope others get much enjoyment out of the SE DGT. Not me.
That's too bad. I like the idea of a great sub-$1k guitar.

That's too bad. I like the idea of a great sub-$1k guitar.
Me too. I really had high hopes. I love the DGT sound (having seen him live many times with Joe Ely) and have heard good things about PRS guitars. But it seems as though SE's are not up to snuff. I see them for sale used all the time, and of course now they are 20% off. Design is PRS, but manufacture is Cort Guitars. it just felt like a toy to me. I really wanted a sub-$1K guitar to work but now I am leaning towards either breaking the bank on a more expensive guitar, or doing another Warmoth build with Fralin pickups.

The 20% is tempting for me to get this lefty, but I've been burned before by less expensive trem system issues and mediocre pups - so keeping my GAS in check. I'll prob never own a real PRS

Last edited:
The 20% is tempting but I've been burned before by cheap trem system issues and mediocre pups - so keeping my GAS in check. I'll prob never own a real PRS
The main problem with PRS is the US made stuff has become outlandishly expensive! 3-5k for a new instrument is unrealistic for the most so if you want one reasonably priced you have to go used or SE line.

I have owned a few in the past, great guitars! I had an 07 Custom 24 Experience addition that had a very interesting sound to it, Airy and stringy at the same time. I also owned a few single cut 10 tops, both of which were great players! Also a Custom 22 10 top that was also a good player.

As to mojo I think that is up to the player, those that like to fight a guitar to make it happen are probably used to playing a guitar that was not setup right in the first place.

The main problem with PRS is the US made stuff has become outlandishly expensive! 3-5k for a new instrument is unrealistic for the most so if you want one reasonably priced you have to go used or SE line.

I have owned a few in the past, great guitars! I had an 07 Custom 24 Experience addition that had a very interesting sound to it, Airy and stringy at the same time. I also owned a few single cut 10 tops, both of which were great players! Also a Custom 22 10 top that was also a good player.

As to mojo I think that is up to the player, those that like to fight a guitar to make it happen are probably used to playing a guitar that was not setup right in the first place.
Indeed. Like I said above, I imagine Core models are great, but not in my budget. And I still don't believe that DG could get his sound out of those SE DGT pickups.

Indeed. Like I said above, I imagine Core models are great, but not in my budget. And I still don't believe that DG could get his sound out of those SE DGT pickups.
I haven't played a DGT as of yet but I know how PRS guitars play and that's the magic if you ask me. The Single cuts I posted about came from a Les Paul search was on back in the mid 2000's. I played through at least 5 ranging from entry to custom and the price didn't matter as none of them played for me. Sales guy dropped a Single cut in my hands and it was over.

That said the Les Paul I just bought last month plays great but it was also plecked and professionally setup!

I haven't played a DGT as of yet but I know how PRS guitars play and that's the magic if you ask me.
I’ve had two core DGTs, and kept one (my ‘08 Goldtop) and gave the other (a gorgeous ‘08 10-top cherry-burst) to my son-in-law for his birthday several years ago. They both played and sounded wonderful, but the cherry-burst was so pretty it intimidated me.

True, but he is also a "paid" spokesperson for PRS. I respect DG but I still doubt the guitar I am returning could ever produce his sound. If he can do that, he is truly a genius.
I’d never accuse Grissom of being paid to say something he didn’t agree with or feel was true. He’s well known for his honesty and hardwork and for being a stickler for the details and for being able to tell when something is wrong and calling them on it, to the point of holding PRS’s feet to the fire many times, both in the creation of the core model and with the SE.

That you got one that you didn’t like is no reason to imply Grissom is being a shill.

I remember Paul saying that whenever Grissom did a clinic at a guitar shop he would grab one of his models randomly off the wall to play. If that doesn't inspire confidence in the guitar you are putting your name on I don't know what would.
Yes, he does. There is at least one video of him doing a clinic with the hang tags still on the headstock, and he talks about doing it specifically because he won’t put his name on something that doesn’t meet his expectations. Smith is pretty proud that Grissom will grab the guitar from the wall, tune up, and play.

Who thought I would resist this thread? I have been pretty outspoken about my disdain for PRS' value proposition. While I have never played their lower end SE's, I have tried many others. My reaction was always no way they are worth the money.

I've said it ad nauseum on this forum to the chagrin of many PRS fanboi's on here, received some flames and also lots of agreement. Save your money - if you know what to look for you can get 2 (or 3?) very nice guitars for the price of 1 PRS. They will sound just as good (or better), play just as good (or better), look just as good ... for a fraction of PRS' prices.

Buy the guitar you like, and ignore anyone who doesn’t agree. Not their hands, not their ears, not their money… I.e. not their business. The internet and forums have given every moron with a cell phone a voice, and that was never going to be a recipe for reliable advice on anything.

If you like what PRS is selling, it’s worth it. If not, buy something else. The same arguments are made about every single other maker. Block out the BS.

I started in 2001 with a CU24. By far the best guitar I have ever played. 20 years later I purchased a Holcomb 7 string, Semi-Hollow Vela, and a Hollobody II Piezo. All different guitars and I love all of them. Quality control is very good. My money = my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom