Dyna Cabs...why don't I get it?

I don’t think so…..If you want to use IRS that already have the mic positions set, you would use Legacy third-party cabs.
Yeah maybe, but those are harder to adjust. You're back to scrolling through thousands of files, instead of backing the mic off slightly.

Don't forget too that third party DynaCabs will eventually include cabs and/or mics we don't currently have.

This is early days...

Yeah maybe, but those are harder to adjust. You're back to scrolling through thousands of files, instead of backing the mic off slightly.

Don't forget too that third party DynaCabs will eventually include cabs and/or mics we don't currently have.

This is early days...
Correct, they will offer speakers we don’t have, but the point you guys are missing is that if they are in fact Dyna-Cabs, it will be up to you to move the little blue dot (the mic) around.

That’s not how Dyna-Cabs work. We are presented with the range of movements made by the robot, and adjust and select our sound from them.

If you want an expert to pick mic positions for you then the Legacy interface and cabs are available.
People can’t share DynaCabs?

Also Fractal said that they are willing to rent the robot that does the DynaCab mic positioning to third parties.

Any third party DynaCab created using Fractal’s robot will give you the ability to move the mic around, of course, but nothing is preventing them from putting it where they like it and you leaving it there. They could create a handful or dozens of presets with the mic in different positions and then people can use those. It’s not against the law, dude.

Any third party DynaCab created using Fractal’s robot will give you the ability to move the mic around, of course, but nothing is preventing them from putting it where they like it and you leaving it there. They could create a handful or dozens of presets with the mic in different positions and then people can use those. It’s not against the law, dude.
Which just proves my point…..if you’re going to buy IRS with the mics already set, just use the Legacy IRS you have already purchased…..get it….dude….?

Which just proves my point…..if you’re going to buy IRS with the mics already set, just use the Legacy IRS you have already purchased…..get it….dude….?
But with legacy IRs it's "harder" to adjust the mic position, like impossible. You have to find a different IR that happens to have the mic(s) where you want them.

People can’t share DynaCabs?

Sure they can, the same way they do with Legacy IRs and subject to the same restrictions.

But adjusting the cabs is so easy that I don’t see a lot of value added by someone turning the knobs for me. The value is in different cabs and speakers, and impedance curves being made available beyond what FAS makes available.

Last edited:
Dyna cabs have greatly improved my workflow already. I'm also in the "settled on an IR that was good enough " camp because auditioning hundreds of cabs is not practical, but know I was leaving something on the table.

Last edited:
But with legacy IRs it's "harder" to adjust the mic position, like impossible. You have to find a different IR that happens to have the mic(s) where you want them.
Not sure what you are trying to say….you don’t have to sell me on them, I love em! The other poster said he is not qualified to move the mic around…in my opinion, he should stick to Legacy cabs.

Last edited:
DynaCab gives you the option to act like you’re putting a real mic on a real cab in the studio.
It did not instantly give me the knowledge and skill set to be effective at that.
All the IR’s I use are dialed in by experts. I don’t see my futzing around getting close to their results.
I’m really looking forward to the really great DynaCabs that are made available to use from the experts.
Each mic position in the Dyna-Cab system is its own expertly dialed in IR. The position and distance parameters are similar to High Cut (Center to Edge) and Low Cut (Close to Distant) parameters. Move the dot around until you get the balance you want, there's really not much more to it than that.

This seems counter-intuitive. You'll need to audition presets to find the Dyna-Cab mic position(s) you like, not much different than using legacy IRs.
If you haven't already, backup your FM9, install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs and give them a try.

Each mic position in the Dyna-Cab system is its own expertly dialed in IR. The position and distance parameters are similar to High Cut (Center to Edge) and Low Cut (Close to Distant) parameters. Move the dot around until you get the balance you want, there's really not much more to it than that.

This seems counter-intuitive. You'll need to audition presets to find the Dyna-Cab mic position(s) you like, not much different than using legacy IRs.
If you haven't already, backup your FM9, install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs and give them a try.
That’s exactly my understanding. Each DynaCab/mic combo is just a collection of like 1000 IR‘s each with 2048ms length. That’s it.

For a lot of people, audioning Leon’s preset, and watching the corresponding video, for example, is much more knowledge-blossoming than just trying to RTFM and go at it.

That’s exactly my understanding. Each DynaCab/mic combo is just a collection of like 1000 IR‘s each with 2048ms length. That’s it.
+ the complete, authentic, and auto applied SIC curve assignment which no 3rd pty sellers seem to offer (if they do, it would have to be applied manually in the traditional sellers framework (hopefully to change if they can now tap into Fractal's framework)). Again, I can't quite fathom why this key factor is continually omitted from the DC vs leg IR conversation given the tonal impact of SIC curves which I often hear having as much (or more even) tonal impact as the associated IRs themselves. The auto assigned authentic SIC curve IS the game changer with DC imo - the rest of it is a really nice built-in graphic IR auditioner / mic placement + blending tool interface for some really nice IR collections without select pre-mixes provided.

Last edited:

For a lot of people, audioning Leon’s preset, and watching the corresponding video, for example, is much more knowledge-blossoming than just trying to RTFM and go at it.
So you just want to know the x and y values he used. You don't need a whole new set of Dyna Cabs. That's the beauty of Dyna Cabs. If an artist or YouTube you like sets their position and distance a certain way on a specific Dyna Cab, all you need to do is plug those same numbers on the same Dyna Cab and mic on your unit and voila.

So you just want to know the x and y values he used. You don't need a whole new set of Dyna Cabs. That's the beauty of Dyna Cabs. If an artist or YouTube you like sets their position and distance a certain way on a specific Dyna Cab, all you need to do is plug those same numbers on the same Dyna Cab and mic on your unit and voila.
More important to me is the explanation of why those values were chosen.

Back
Top Bottom