PRS Guitars Question

If you want a les paul, buy a les paul. Buying a PRS will give you a great guitar, but it will not give you a goldotp les paul. It will take time to find the "right" les paul by the sounds if it, but that's an endeavour worth following through.

Look for a used les paul standard goldtop 2019 or later (they went back to no weight relief among other changes). You'll probably need to try a few. If you find the neck of those too fat, look for older les paul classic goldtops.
Agreed, but I just don't think I will ever pay the amount that a LP "like" my old one costs in today's world. Sig.

Agreed, but I just don't think I will ever pay the amount that a LP "like" my old one costs in today's world. Sig.
used standards are not 5k. If you're in the US, I don't know that they're even 2k. Classics cost even less.

used standards are not 5k. If you're in the US, I don't know that they're even 2k. Classics cost even less.
Could be, I am sure you are right. I have been on the look out for one but most of the time there are "As Is" on Reverb. I wish I could find one local that I could see before buying. Or, even better, one from a person who I had some familiarity with. There is just too much bad stuff out there.
Either way, I appreciate your advice and will definitely look out or one.

Thanks, that looks OK but I avoid buying things online that say "As is". You never know what to expect and would be stuck with it if it didn't meet expectations.

I don’t blame you. I usually find myself asking why are they selling. I’ve bought guitars off Reverb because there’s not much to look at where I live. If the price is right then you can sell without taking a big hit. Best luck on your search.

Singlecut of course is LP like, but from a playing perspective I am not sure it matters, or for that matter whether it is "better". What are your experiences and opinions on this?

Honestly, the difference doesn't bother me. I don't really try to play the low strings on the high frets, so the "access" has never bothered me. If pressed, I'd say the double-cut 594 is more comfortable (and definitely lighter), but I still play my LP more because I just like it more.

Seriously, try to play them if you can. Tim Pierce loves them as a replacement for vintage LPs. Who knows whether that's because of a sponsorship or not? As I've said, I personally don't think that they're eqivalent but can cover the same ground.

FWIW, the only vintage goldtop I've played was a '52...and I like both my modern LP and my 594 a lot better. But...it was a 1952 with all the flaws they hadn't fixed yet. One of the R7s I played was a fantastic guitar (might have been the only R7)...just expensive and not really what I was looking for at the time.

Honestly, the difference doesn't bother me. I don't really try to play the low strings on the high frets, so the "access" has never bothered me. If pressed, I'd say the double-cut 594 is more comfortable (and definitely lighter), but I still play my LP more because I just like it more.

Seriously, try to play them if you can. Tim Pierce loves them as a replacement for vintage LPs. Who knows whether that's because of a sponsorship or not? As I've said, I personally don't think that they're eqivalent but can cover the same ground.

FWIW, the only vintage goldtop I've played was a '52...and I like both my modern LP and my 594 a lot better. But...it was a 1952 with all the flaws they hadn't fixed yet. One of the R7s I played was a fantastic guitar (might have been the only R7)...just expensive and not really what I was looking for at the time.
I am torn on the SC vs. DC 594. I agree on not playing the low strings on the high frets, that isn't really an issue for me either. It is really a matter of whether I care about a LP like look, or not. Not sure yet on that. I lean towards a DC as that seems to be more the style or character of PRS guitars in general. Not sure if I am correct on that but it is what it seems like to me.

I am definitely going to go in to the store and play the 594's. I did that a while back for the LP's and honestly didn't like the feel and look of the finish. Sound was fine though. As to the finish, the cheaper Epiphone finishes looked just as "good", or from my perspective, just as "bad".

As to my old Goldtop, my wife said the other day, "you sold it because you didn't like it". Sort of true, but not really. At the time I didn't know much about guitars and the darn LP just wouldn't stay in tune for anything. Drove me crazy. Loved the sound though. I am sure, looking back, it was an easy fix, maybe tuners? Anyway, I am fine with a PRS instead of a LP.

As to the 594 I definitely will go in to play it but prior to that I am struggling with the SE vs. S2 decision. I truly don't like or want an Asian guitar, but on the other hand a lot of the parts of the S2 are from Asia anyway. Not sure on that.

And as I might have mentioned earlier, if I can get past the Asia thing, I am considering an SE DGT also. Decisions, Decisions.

Anyway, thanks for the input, it is very helpful for sure.

I am torn on the SC vs. DC 594. I agree on not playing the low strings on the high frets, that isn't really an issue for me either. It is really a matter of whether I care about a LP like look, or not. Not sure yet on that. I lean towards a DC as that seems to be more the style or character of PRS guitars in general. Not sure if I am correct on that but it is what it seems like to me.

I am definitely going to go in to the store and play the 594's. I did that a while back for the LP's and honestly didn't like the feel and look of the finish. Sound was fine though. As to the finish, the cheaper Epiphone finishes looked just as "good", or from my perspective, just as "bad".

As to my old Goldtop, my wife said the other day, "you sold it because you didn't like it". Sort of true, but not really. At the time I didn't know much about guitars and the darn LP just wouldn't stay in tune for anything. Drove me crazy. Loved the sound though. I am sure, looking back, it was an easy fix, maybe tuners? Anyway, I am fine with a PRS instead of a LP.

As to the 594 I definitely will go in to play it but prior to that I am struggling with the SE vs. S2 decision. I truly don't like or want an Asian guitar, but on the other hand a lot of the parts of the S2 are from Asia anyway. Not sure on that.

And as I might have mentioned earlier, if I can get past the Asia thing, I am considering an SE DGT also. Decisions, Decisions.

Anyway, thanks for the input, it is very helpful for sure.

Okay, cool. Well....those somewhat relate to my thoughts when I got mine. Just to add more confusion to your choice...

I decided on the double-cut mostly because I got curious about them from a Jeff McErlane video, and he plays DC 594s (maybe just one of them?). I'm suggestible in at least that way. They did have some single-cuts at the shop, and I barely looked at them. But, I also already owned a LP that I really like. I wasn't specifically looking for a LP replacement...I wanted to support that shop, and I was curious about the 594. I like that it doesn't look exactly like a LP.

SE vs S2 wasn't a thought then...they didn't make SE 594s. Core vs S2 was just about price...my LP is my most expensive guitar, and I didn't want to spend more than that at the time. I'd still buy an S2 over an SE because most of the guitar is American, and that matters to me at least some. I know the internet is convinced that the guitar doesn't matter to its sound, but...meh. The other take-away from all those videos is that you can play whatever blows your hair back without worrying about it, and that's one of the things that kinda does it for me (except for my '85 strat, because they were all MIJ then and my Indonesian acoustic...because it was cheap and I don't play acoustic very often).

The electronics in the S2s are Korean, IIRC. But...I also changed most of them and planned to before I had played a 594...as long as it's not a valuable vintage guitar, I don't mind messing with electronics. You can always put it back. I've never been a fan of PRS pickups, however small the difference is. I know it's not supposed to matter, but I've always been happier with humbuckers that can't coil split (as well as unpotted ones), and I was going to put RS SuperPots in it anyway because I just like them. So, I have the Korean switch and Jack...some random PIO caps I had lying around, SD Seth Lovers, and the RS pots. I actually think I lost the PRS pickups...at least, I can't find them now. Whatever. The Seth Lovers....I honestly don't even know if they actually sound different...I never compared them. They're made on one of the winders that Gibson owned in the 50s...there's a non-zero chance that my pickups were made on the same machine as the ones in the Beano Burst or Page's #1 or Principal Skinner or Greeny or some other famous burst...and that alone is enough "vibe" for me.

Thanks, that looks OK but I avoid buying things online that say "As is". You never know what to expect and would be stuck with it if it didn't meet expectations.
“As Is” doesn’t get the seller off the hook if they didn’t accurately describe the item or it was damaged because of their packaging. Ask direct questions about anything you need described better and ask for pictures if necessary BEFORE THE PURCHASE.

Years ago I bought a Jackson from a place in Florida that threw it in the shipping box without any packaging or padding or even “Fragile” on the box, and shipped it across country. It arrived with the box torn to pieces inside where the tuners gouged holes in the cardboard and the headstock smashed into the end, and a nice crack across the neck joint. They tried to tell me it was the shipper’s fault. I circled every gouge with marker, took photos, took it to Reverb who went after them, and I returned it in the same box, without packaging or padding. About a month after it was delivered to them they had it posted for sale again and didn’t have any pictures of the crack.

Yeah, they are still in business and were recently mentioned in a thread here about places to avoid.

“As Is” doesn’t get the seller off the hook if they didn’t accurately describe the item or it was damaged because of their packaging. Ask direct questions about anything you need described better and ask for pictures if necessary BEFORE THE PURCHASE.

Years ago I bought a Jackson from a place in Florida that threw it in the shipping box without any packaging or padding or even “Fragile” on the box, and shipped it across country. It arrived with the box torn to pieces inside where the tuners gouged holes in the cardboard and the headstock smashed into the end, and a nice crack across the neck joint. They tried to tell me it was the shipper’s fault. I circled every gouge with marker, took photos, took it to Reverb who went after them, and I returned it in the same box, without packaging or padding. About a month after it was delivered to them they had it posted for sale again and didn’t have any pictures of the crack.

Yeah, they are still in business and were recently mentioned in a thread here about places to avoid.
I agree with the proper amount of due diligence you can minimize the risk of "As Is". For me though it isn't just whether I can take a financial hit, it is going through all of the hassle you have to go through to resolve an issue. Case in point is your example. Sounds like a hassle, and a time suck.

Okay, cool. Well....those somewhat relate to my thoughts when I got mine. Just to add more confusion to your choice...

I decided on the double-cut mostly because I got curious about them from a Jeff McErlane video, and he plays DC 594s (maybe just one of them?). I'm suggestible in at least that way. They did have some single-cuts at the shop, and I barely looked at them. But, I also already owned a LP that I really like. I wasn't specifically looking for a LP replacement...I wanted to support that shop, and I was curious about the 594. I like that it doesn't look exactly like a LP.

SE vs S2 wasn't a thought then...they didn't make SE 594s. Core vs S2 was just about price...my LP is my most expensive guitar, and I didn't want to spend more than that at the time. I'd still buy an S2 over an SE because most of the guitar is American, and that matters to me at least some. I know the internet is convinced that the guitar doesn't matter to its sound, but...meh. The other take-away from all those videos is that you can play whatever blows your hair back without worrying about it, and that's one of the things that kinda does it for me (except for my '85 strat, because they were all MIJ then and my Indonesian acoustic...because it was cheap and I don't play acoustic very often).

The electronics in the S2s are Korean, IIRC. But...I also changed most of them and planned to before I had played a 594...as long as it's not a valuable vintage guitar, I don't mind messing with electronics. You can always put it back. I've never been a fan of PRS pickups, however small the difference is. I know it's not supposed to matter, but I've always been happier with humbuckers that can't coil split (as well as unpotted ones), and I was going to put RS SuperPots in it anyway because I just like them. So, I have the Korean switch and Jack...some random PIO caps I had lying around, SD Seth Lovers, and the RS pots. I actually think I lost the PRS pickups...at least, I can't find them now. Whatever. The Seth Lovers....I honestly don't even know if they actually sound different...I never compared them. They're made on one of the winders that Gibson owned in the 50s...there's a non-zero chance that my pickups were made on the same machine as the ones in the Beano Burst or Page's #1 or Principal Skinner or Greeny or some other famous burst...and that alone is enough "vibe" for me.
For me, I have completed three Warmoth builds in the past couple of years, but avoided doing the electronics myself. I am just don't have good soldering skills. Wish I did though.

For me, I have completed three Warmoth builds in the past couple of years, but avoided doing the electronics myself. I am just don't have good soldering skills. Wish I did though.

I pretty much didn't when I started. I don't think I actually ruined anything by screwing up.

came across this vid other day. He does a few vids comparing an LP with the 594 and in this one a comparison with the 594 DC vs SC. Not super comprehensive or anything but a nice demonstration

came across this vid other day. He does a few vids comparing an LP with the 594 and in this one a comparison with the 594 DC vs SC. Not super comprehensive or anything but a nice demonstration

I am now leaning towards a S2 594 10th Anniversary guitar as they are closer to the S2 in pricing, and have the USA made pickups.

I am now leaning towards a S2 594 10th Anniversary guitar as they are closer to the S2 in pricing, and have the USA made pickups.
Yeah those are sweet. I looked into that myself a little while back. The fact you get the core pickups in there make it very appealing. local shop here has the PRS OEM core 58/15's that I've considered dropping in my S2...still debating
edit: some initial scouring over the internet this morning I've read a few things concerning the differences between the "s" and "LT" versions of the 58/15's. It seems the LT (core) version is considered more balanced and has a bit better high end clarity to them. They also seem to be regarded better for the clean /edge of breakup tones....but lack when it comes to high gain. In that respect, seems the "S"bridge pup is a tad hotter and much better sounding for higher gain application. Overall the LT's seem better voiced for classic/low gain. Also there are differences between the S2 594 and Core 594 with wiring and I believe a different capacitor is used - .033UF capacitors instead of the .022uf capacitors used on the core. Not sure I'd really hear a massive difference if I dropped the LT's in my S2. Only i'd know because I paid the difference and likely would then hear the difference? ha who knows. My inner corksniffery vying to get out again. They're both great. I also read the pups are voiced differently for the SC vs the DC. A bit more mid range and output given to the set on the SC's apparently.

Last edited:
Yeah those are sweet. I looked into that myself a little while back. The fact you get the core pickups in there make it very appealing. local shop here has the PRS OEM core 58/15's that I've considered dropping in my S2...still debating
edit: some initial scouring over the internet this morning I've read a few things concerning the differences between the "s" and "LT" versions of the 58/15's. It seems the LT (core) version is considered more balanced and has a bit better high end clarity to them. They also seem to be regarded better for the clean /edge of breakup tones....but lack when it comes to high gain. In that respect, seems the "S"bridge pup is a tad hotter and much better sounding for higher gain application. Overall the LT's seem better voiced for classic/low gain. Also there are differences between the S2 594 and Core 594 with wiring and I believe a different capacitor is used - .033UF capacitors instead of the .022uf capacitors used on the core. Not sure I'd really hear a massive difference if I dropped the LT's in my S2. Only i'd know because I paid the difference and likely would then hear the difference? ha who knows. My inner corksniffery vying to get out again. They're both great. I also read the pups are voiced differently for the SC vs the DC. A bit more mid range and output given to the set on the SC's apparently.
Get a set of Vinehams and go ;) (he says wondering if his s2 bridge pickup died and may replace it with a whiskey burner).

I've been soldering successfully since the Heathkit era, have a high end iron and even then I was surprised by how much I didn't know about installing pickups when I watched this:
https://tech.seymourduncan.com/p/101

Six months ago I was where you are now looking for a PRS LP to compliment my LP Dlx. I decided to try PRS partly because of Cliff saying that they're the most consistently well made brand now. Since then I've bought six of them all 24.594 or 24.5 singlecuts and all of them used: '22 S2 594 (from Dave's) , '11 '13 '15 '17 SE245 (all Korean from Guitar Center) and '11 Stripped 58 (Reverb). I returned the '13 because of a shrunken fretboard and only had to pay the $25 shipping charge.

There's also nothing like actually playing them to know how much you like them.

Having said that, if I could only have two I'd keep my '15 SE245 Soapie:
Soapie.jpg

and the Stripped 58 that I got last week:
https://reverb.com/item/68609214-pr...ana-yellow?page=15&filter=seller#shop-reviews

And if I were going for my first one now I'd play an SE, an S2 and a Core and if the SE was OK, I'd seriously look at:
https://www.davesguitar.com/collections/used-electrics/products/se-245-14
and if I didn't like the pups, watch Duncan's Soldering 101 course and swap them. And check out the PRS forum.

I've been soldering successfully since the Heathkit era, have a high end iron and even then I was surprised by how much I didn't know about installing pickups when I watched this:
https://tech.seymourduncan.com/p/101

Six months ago I was where you are now looking for a PRS LP to compliment my LP Dlx. I decided to try PRS partly because of Cliff saying that they're the most consistently well made brand now. Since then I've bought six of them all 24.594 or 24.5 singlecuts and all of them used: '22 S2 594 (from Dave's) , '11 '13 '15 '17 SE245 (all Korean from Guitar Center) and '11 Stripped 58 (Reverb). I returned the '13 because of a shrunken fretboard and only had to pay the $25 shipping charge.

There's also nothing like actually playing them to know how much you like them.

Having said that, if I could only have two I'd keep my '15 SE245 Soapie:
View attachment 121255

and the Stripped 58 that I got last week:
https://reverb.com/item/68609214-pr...ana-yellow?page=15&filter=seller#shop-reviews

And if I were going for my first one now I'd play an SE, an S2 and a Core and if the SE was OK, I'd seriously look at:
https://www.davesguitar.com/collections/used-electrics/products/se-245-14
and if I didn't like the pups, watch Duncan's Soldering 101 course and swap them. And check out the PRS forum.

I picked up one of those MIK SE245 Soapbars. Toyed with some other pickups but sticking with the original soapbars. I love it, it gets more play than my other guitars including my US 06 Singlecut trem. Some of the SE’s are excellent.

I picked up one of those MIK SE245 Soapbars. Toyed with some other pickups but sticking with the original soapbars. I love it, it gets more play than my other guitars including my US 06 Singlecut trem. Some of the SE’s are excellent.
Same here. It's my #1 practice guitar since the SE245s handle .008 strings better than S2s or Cores which need 9.5s or 10s to sound anywhere near their best. GC didn't know what they had, with a sanded neck and a noiseless bridge P90 (the stock neck P90 isn't bad either) installed, and they priced it just like any other 245.

Back
Top Bottom