Good budget studio monitors for Fm9 editing?+

I thought I was happy with jbl lsr305 but now got the kali in8v2 and they are much better.
A lot more detail and clarity , even at low volume. More even dispersion.

I thought I was happy with jbl lsr305 but now got the kali in8v2 and they are much better.
A lot more detail and clarity , even at low volume. More even dispersion.

That is the opposite of my experience. I kind of hate Kali monitors.

I think the "pro" reviews on YT are pretty clearly paid for (like most of them), but I'm wondering if either I got the room tuning switches wrong (I tried a lot and didn't like any of them) or if there was a bad run of them or something. I had some for another thing (they were never going to be my mains) and ended up recycling them.

That is the opposite of my experience. I kind of hate Kali monitors.

I think the "pro" reviews on YT are pretty clearly paid for (like most of them), but I'm wondering if either I got the room tuning switches wrong (I tried a lot and didn't like any of them) or if there was a bad run of them or something. I had some for another thing (they were never going to be my mains) and ended up recycling them.
Well, I have the first gen LP6s and I like them a lot, but don't use the room tuning switches, I set them flat and let sonarworks do its work.

OP, I would stick with Yamaha monitors (HS5's are $400 a pair)
Do you think picking up a pair of Yamaha HS5's are worth it? I have limited space in a small room playing my FM9, so far I've only used it with headphones, lol. And around $400/$500 is my budget but not sure if I should get a bigger speaker that's cheaper per size, or go with the small Yamaha's one of the de facto standards. TIA

Do you think picking up a pair of Yamaha HS5's are worth it? I have limited space in a small room playing my FM9, so far I've only used it with headphones, lol. And around $400/$500 is my budget but not sure if I should get a bigger speaker that's cheaper per size, or go with the small Yamaha's one of the de facto standards. TIA
From personal experience, I would strongly recommend the Behringer Truth B2030A over anything in your price range. Any of the Yamaha HS monitors I've used gave me ear fatigue after a half-hour. Don't be put of by the brand, I bought a set after an Event TR8 blew up and I needed something quick and inexpensive to get me by. Ended up using the Behringers for over 10 years before finally getting some Focal monitors. They sound really good.

Kali monitors get some love here as well but I have not personally heard them.

Dont skimp on your monitors... You dont want to hyped mids, or bussing from the low end. You can always start with one speaker and get the 2nd later on.

Dont skimp on your monitors... You dont want to hyped mids, or bussing from the low end. You can always start with one speaker and get the 2nd later on.
So what would you suggest? I keep reading that a lot of people like the Adam Audio monitors. Just not sure if my $500 price range is enough to get something more than their entry level offerings, and if that's even good enough to spend money on or get something smaller but a superior product like the Yamaha HS-5's. TIA

So what would you suggest? I keep reading that a lot of people like the Adam Audio monitors. Just not sure if my $500 price range is enough to get something more than their entry level offerings, and if that's even good enough to spend money on or get something smaller but a superior product like the Yamaha HS-5's. TIA
Plenty of options out there in your budget:

The HS5 is $200 each
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-hs5-5-powered-studio-monitor-each/h96227000000000

Or get one HS8 for $400
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-hs8-8-powered-studio-monitor-each/h96225000000000

Adam T7V is $250 each
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/adam-audio-t7v-7-powered-studio-monitor-each

Or one T8V is $300
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro...8-powered-studio-monitor-each/l75770000000000

Also you have plenty of open box studio monitors, and used monitors on Reverb.

If accuracy is your goal then don't neglect at least basic acoustic treatment. You can build your own 2'x4'x4" panels for about $35 each with common hardware store materials. Expensive monitors in an untreated room will still be subject to that room's modes and comb filtering which can have a much larger impact on what you hear than the characteristics of the monitors themselves, especially in a typical residential square/cube room.

I wouldn't go smaller than 6.5" monitors unless you're going to use a subwoofer. I agree with those who say get the best you can with what you have to spend, but I would buy whichever monitor you choose as a pair. I understand budget constraints but buying something now with the idea of getting the rest in the future usually doesn't pan out for a lot of us.

I can't say enough about the Behringer monitors I recommended earlier. I am not affiliated with Behringer in any way and am not really a fan of the brand. I really had my doubts about buying them but really had no other good options at the time. The 2030A's are very neutral sounding with a lot of power and adjustments to compensate for different rooms and placement. They are inexpensive enough to allow you to get some room treatment should you need it.

When looking to 'upgrade' the Behringers, I had the same budget as you and tried the Adam T7v, Yamaha HS7/8 and JBL 305/308. Bought the Adam T7v's and was disappointed when I got them home, there wasn't a noticeable difference in audio quality between them and the 2030A's. There was also some fizziness in the high end that I couldn't get used to. Unless you're able to double your budget, the Behringers are the clear choice in my experience. It wasn't until I was able to spend around $1000 that I found anything that sounded 'better'. Currently using Focal Alpha 65's.

As I mentioned in my other comment, the Behringers were a cheap solution that turned out to be a great value in the long run. If I am ever in the same situation again, there would be no hesitation in buying another pair.

I recommend against JBL 3 series MKII. I have a pair of them in my studio as a way to gauge how other people will hear my recordings. They sound completely different from how I sound through a PA or my stage monitors.

First depends on room size.. You ll never get any result from a 7" or 8" speaker in a small and unthreated room.. I m in a 3x4 mt unthreated room and could not be more happier with iloud micro monitor first and iloud mtm now.. The only reason why i upgraded to the MTM is the stereo image they could deliver better over the micros.

Back
Top Bottom