FM3 stopped connecting to Mac

Tonedeaf

Power User
Out of the blue my FM3 won't connect to my iMac/ FM3 Edit. Never had problems in the past, haven't changed a thing and was working last night. Thought it might be the USB cable so I hooked up my AXE FX II with it and it connected to the computer and Axe Edit just fine, so the problem must be with the FM3. Levels are all working and I did a System Parameter Reset and started up in emergency mode to no avail. Perhaps it's the USB output jack?

Following. My USB connection has been unstable lately. Seemingly connected to my laptop, FM3 Edit says "Connected", but all parameter values go black and nothing can be adjusted. Disconnect the cable and reconnect sometimes work, sometimes not. Happens on both a Win 11 and a MB Air M1.

Same here. Since the release of 6.1 and the proper EDIT, the connection has failed me multiple times while dialing in tones. Yes, I've tried everything that has been put out here on the forum (thanks everyone), but I never had this problem prior to 6.1. Never! This new frustration now has the unit sitting in the back corner with all my other expensive gear. I'm now waiting for an updated version that fixes this problem. Yes, I could edit directly using the unit, but for years now I've only used EDIT. It's what I'm most familiar with and one of the features that pushed me to buy the product in the first place. I love the FM3. Please fix the "connectivity" issue.

EDIT: Think I found stability! Although I updated the FM3 Edit originally, I decided to reload it once again. Still had similar problems. Out of frustration, I reloaded the FM3 Edit a third time.....so far so good. Went the whole day without losing connection to the floor unit. Hopefully that solved the issue. Not sure why it happened in the first place thought?

Last edited:
I've been on 6.01 since the first beta and and never had a problem until now, so I don't know if that's it.

The following worked for me when I couldn't connect a few months ago. Worth a shot:
This happened to me, FM3 wouldn’t connect on a Mac anyway.. I had to turn on the FM3 THEN connect the usb to the computer.. connect to bot, close bot, then open Edit.. if I powered on the FM3 with the usb cable connected it would not work/ connect.. ymmv.

I had trouble with the FM3 USB port taking increasingly longer to connect - I sprayed some SERVISOL electrical cleaner onto the FM3 end of the USB cable and it has been fine ever since. Hope your fix is just as easy. PS Servisol is great for quieting noisy guitar volume pots etc.

I had trouble with the FM3 USB port taking increasingly longer to connect - I sprayed some SERVISOL electrical cleaner onto the FM3 end of the USB cable and it has been fine ever since. Hope your fix is just as easy. PS Servisol is great for quieting noisy guitar volume pots etc.
Thanks. I have some contact cleaner. I'll give it a try, but I'm not hopeful.

Go to Settings Menu and Preferences on FM3 Edit. Check if the FM3 is set.
Looks like a silly and obvious troubleshooting but I had the same issue last week ago and for some reason the FM3 Edit changed the settings. Easy fix! :)

Out of the blue my FM3 won't connect to my iMac/ FM3 Edit. Never had problems in the past, haven't changed a thing and was working last night. Thought it might be the USB cable so I hooked up my AXE FX II with it and it connected to the computer and Axe Edit just fine, so the problem must be with the FM3. Levels are all working and I did a System Parameter Reset and started up in emergency mode to no avail. Perhaps it's the USB output jack?
I had similar issue recently with my FM3. I contacted G66 and sent it to their tech team to get it fixed. It seems that it was the mainboard that was causing the issue so they had to changed it to new.

Go to Settings Menu and Preferences on FM3 Edit. Check if the FM3 is set.
Looks like a silly and obvious troubleshooting but I had the same issue last week ago and for some reason the FM3 Edit changed the settings. Easy fix! :)
Yes It's set to FM3

Recieved a RMA from Fractal. Thanks everyone for the advice. I may keep it as is though, since it's no longer under warranty and I'll have to pay for repairs, I may lose all my data(can't connect to Edit to save it), and I have to send a print out of the RMA email and I don't have a printer. Don't have a problem with any of that, it just is what it is. Plus it will give me an excuse to upgrade to a 9 or a III when the next major Cygnus type firmware comes along.

Recieved a RMA from Fractal. Thanks everyone for the advice. I may keep it as is though, since it's no longer under warranty and I'll have to pay for repairs, I may lose all my data(can't connect to Edit to save it), and I have to send a print out of the RMA email and I don't have a printer. Don't have a problem with any of that, it just is what it is. Plus it will give me an excuse to upgrade to a 9 or a III when the next major Cygnus type firmware comes along.
The device is well controlled through the FM3 editor using the usb - midi adapter Roland um - one

Back
Top Bottom