Can ChatGPT make a good preset that emulates a known tone? (Spoiler: no)

ChatGPT's accuracy can be very hit or miss. I signed up for Microsoft's waiting list to access the new Bing with ChatGPT a couple of weeks ago, and my number was called yesterday. So, I ran the OP's prompts through it, and here's the result:

1678476942931.png
1678476970491.png

I haven't tried this, so if anyone wants to give it a spin and report back, go for it.

Attachments

• 1678476964784.png
    1678476964784.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
7e1de6.jpg

you can respond to it with your critique and it will learn.
It doesn't learn permanently, though. It might adjust itself for the conversation, but it won't remember the next time you talk to it. It's not persistent. I'm sure at some point it will, but there's a lot of ethical concerns with it actually learning and recording and utilizing the info you give it. (like, say you don't like your neighbor and you keep telling it your neighbor's a pedo or something and it remembers that and calls the cops or something). But it's fun in the moment.

I had an interesting chat with it where it was telling me how to do a "bass headphone trick" wherein you plug your bass into your headphones, then plug your headphones int the bass amp, and the plug your bass amp's headphones into your headphones... or something... I asked for examples and videos and it was utterly unable to find anything to substantiate the "technique." I called it out and said, "Did you just make this up?" and then it ended the conversation like if you asked an abused child where he got the bruise from... It was odd.

That was the "Creative" Bing chat. Then I tried the "precise" one. I said, "Hey, the creative version of you told me about this made-up bass technique called the "bass headphone trick" that made absolutely no sense; were you just pulling my leg?" and it ended that chat right away as well.

It doesn't learn permanently, though. It might adjust itself for the conversation, but it won't remember the next time you talk to it. It's not persistent. I'm sure at some point it will, but there's a lot of ethical concerns with it actually learning and recording and utilizing the info you give it. (like, say you don't like your neighbor and you keep telling it your neighbor's a pedo or something and it remembers that and calls the cops or something). But it's fun in the moment.

Great points I hadn't considered.

And there perhaps we have its niche: streams of meaningless verbiage that fool people with style, but fall down on substance
According to Jordan Peterson, it can write a convincing essay on the intersection between the Taoist version of ethical morality and the ethics outlined in the Sermon on the Mount, which is no inconsequential feat.

And there perhaps we have its niche: streams of meaningless verbiage that fool people with style, but fall down on substance

Based on that fact alone, I'm sure the Friends of ChatGPT Presidential Exploratory Committee is already sorting out how to run in 2024. ;)

I used ChatGPT to program a Python program capable of creating setlist files for our stage teleprompter. The program works well. It even has a graphical interface. ChatGPT helped me with the installation of Python and Visual Studio. He helped me edit some Windows settings and guided me to the process of running the program as stand-alone software on any Windows computer. I am deeply impressed!

Skynet is near... we are just helping it by asking those chatgpt questions. Its database is growing. We are doomed. It is obviously not interested it helping you to get exact Dimebag's tone either

Do y'all remember the Dilbert "Jargonator" that was around in the late 90's? It was a web/desktop app that you'd type a sentence in and it would reword it into a gigantic meaningless paragraph that sounded all fancy but didn't really say anything more than "I like tacos" or whatever lol.

ChatGPT can't even follow its own directives and rules so, no, I don't want it doing anything for me. I spent about an hour over several days asking it to do some fairly simple things based on its own rules and it failed. And then it'd acknowledge its failings that it hadn't followed the rules, to which I'd correct it and tell it to do it again following the updated rules, and it'd STILL fail.

So, no, I wouldn't trust it to do anything. MAYBE after they've spun off and retired several generations it'll be worth talking to, but currently, no, it's not close.

But I'm going to watch my back just the same because I don't want it falling in love with me when I'm not watching.

Reactions: ESW
Seems like the current version of Chat GPT is like a "1.X" version of something that we've all experienced in the past... lots of potential, but still a lot of work to do. I've been in I.T. for almost 35 years and have seen a lot of cool technologies come and go. Clearly, this Machine Learning and A.I. stuff is here to stay. And I have to say that it's really been helpful to have Chat GPT help me do some fairly time consuming work tasks like - writing position descriptions, summarizing books and mental models, and writing some standard memos. The output that I'm getting is about 70-80% of what I need. As it improves, I think we'll come to a crossroads that threatens current paradigms like the 40-hour work week. And how many current careers paths will eventually become obsolete is hard to say. I can't help but think mixing/mastering engineering, programming, and inpatient medical services will be among those things that this technology is able to do very proficiently in the next few years.

Seems like the current version of Chat GPT is like a "1.X" version of something that we've all experienced in the past... lots of potential, but still a lot of work to do. I've been in I.T. for almost 35 years and have seen a lot of cool technologies come and go. Clearly, this Machine Learning and A.I. stuff is here to stay. And I have to say that it's really been helpful to have Chat GPT help me do some fairly time consuming work tasks like - writing position descriptions, summarizing books and mental models, and writing some standard memos. The output that I'm getting is about 70-80% of what I need. As it improves, I think we'll come to a crossroads that threatens current paradigms like the 40-hour work week. And how many current careers paths will eventually become obsolete is hard to say. I can't help but think mixing/mastering engineering, programming, and inpatient medical services will be among those things that this technology is able to do very proficiently in the next few years.
I saw a meme the other day about people being mad AI was taking their jobs, and how similar it is to machines taking manufacturing jobs back in the day.

It's kind of scary to think about - a world so automated that people can't find any work anywhere. That either means mass poverty or mass welfare (or both) and even greater divide between the wealthy and poor. I'll probably be dead before that's an issue, but you never know.

Or it could all be much to-do about nothing; everyone thought eBooks and eReaders were going to put physical books out of business, but that didn't happen (except for a few chains which may have mishandled finances anyway). Who knows, though? If AI can generate any text or visual or sonic medium in seconds with only a short prompt, this just means real art, music, and writing by real people will serve a different purpose (what that is, I don't know). Musicians will have to rely on touring and performing even more, much like when recording became a thing and then subsequently when mp3s basically made selling physical music media pointless (and now streaming...).

We'll adapt. That's what we do. That's what viruses do ;)

If AI can generate any text or visual or sonic medium in seconds with only a short prompt, this just means real art, music, and writing by real people will serve a different purpose (what that is, I don't know). Musicians will have to rely on touring and performing even more, much like when recording became a thing and then subsequently when mp3s basically made selling physical music media pointless (and now streaming...).

Yeah....

I honestly don't get the point of AI for music generation. Or movies. Or any art. It defeats the purpose of art.

Now....for things like ad copy, elevator music, super lazy "context" that goes along with "content"....yeah...it'll impact all of that. And there are a lot of people making money doing that kind of thing. They're probably screwed.

There is already so much garbage on the internet. At work I might google a programming question and I reckon in the past year there’s been an exponential increase in pointless fluff articles that clearly don’t understand the topic they’re “teaching.” They’re only there to produce content for its own sake to serve the almighty algorithm, and it’s very annoying. Now people can just get their “blog” automatically generated, and the internet will fill up with ghost-written, inaccurate garbage. Perhaps it is already. At least with chatgpt we can skip that charade and just go straight to the source for our inaccurate garbage, and skip the farce of googling.

Yeah....

It defeats the purpose of art.
Not necessarily. For consumers, art is a means to an end; it arouses emotions and is often a source of enjoyment. In that regard, I don't think AI art defeats the purpose. I mean, I listen to music because it makes me feel good. If AI were able to generate music that made me feel as good as I do when I listen to my favorite artists, I wouldn't let the fact that it was created by AI stifle my enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom