the Eventide H90 leak reminds us of how good we have it with FM3

FPFL

Experienced
Even if you just use the FM3 for effects, it's a wildly better deal than this new H90.
I saw the price and laughed. I had an H9 back when I tried to make tube amps work live and it did sound great but was frustrating in every other way.
Since we got this generation of Fractal code, I've not missed it at all and this H90 does nothing to relight that fire.

TBH, when I saw the release I expected the ability to use more than 2 presets. The H9 has always been able to run multiple algorithms at once but limited to combinations in pre-existing presets. Considering the H90 configuration and price point, I would have thought 3 presets at least would be possible.

I had the Timefactor and the delays were quite good. If the H90 allowed more than two presets at the same time, or was closer the the H9 price point, it would be worth considering for me. I really can't see paying nearly twice the price of the H9 for what the H90 offers.

There's some pretty cool algorithms in the Eventide stuff. While most are very possible in the Fractal world, the convenience of having them 'premade' would be convenient. Would also make the FM3 more viable to use live for my typical use case, I use a lot of delays and reverbs.

Agree.

I think there is an untapped market for making more pure FX presets for Fractal stuff.
We get amp tweaks, and IRs, and sound like Player X for days, but nowhere near enough FX presets given the power and the automation capabilities.

I'd love an H9000 preset pack for Fractal stuff. I'd gladly pay for it too.

I had a H9 Max at some point, nice unit but most algorithms were very sterile sounding, not really suitable for guitar IMHO.

The price of the H90 is really laughable, I don't really get who they are trying to appeal.

It’s not really designed to be an all in one effects processor.
It's a signal processing tool, you can use it any way you want for signal processing which is very much its designed purpose.

I'd argue that with all the I/O they've stuffed into the small FM3, that alone makes an upgrade from many other dedicated processors.
The FM3 is also better FX processor than any dedicated FX processor I, or most people, had before it.
The CPU really doesn't care if you are always running an amp sim.

It's a signal processing tool, you can use it any way you want for signal processing which is very much its designed purpose.

I'd argue that with all the I/O they've stuffed into the small FM3, that alone makes an upgrade from many other dedicated processors.
The FM3 is also better FX processor than any dedicated FX processor I, or most people, had before it.
Yes everything that processes audio is a signal processing tool. My SSL compressor can get pretty gritty but I’d never use it as a distortion. The H90 is designed pretty clearly to be the successor and a marked improvement over the H9. I wouldn’t use an H9 as my only fx processor nor would I use the H90 as that either. They’re not intended to take that place.

I like the FM3, I like the axefxIII too. Neither one of them are an H9000. They’re not designed to do what that does.

The H90 is a unit for people who love Eventide's particular flavor of effects and had been using one or more H9 pedals. I think it's harder to convince others that this is the pedal to get at its current price point. It's a few hundred euros less than the FM3 in Europe.

TBH, when I saw the release I expected the ability to use more than 2 presets. The H9 has always been able to run multiple algorithms at once but limited to combinations in pre-existing presets. Considering the H90 configuration and price point, I would have thought 3 presets at least would be possible.

I had the Timefactor and the delays were quite good. If the H90 allowed more than two presets at the same time, or was closer the the H9 price point, it would be worth considering for me. I really can't see paying nearly twice the price of the H9 for what the H90 offers.

There's some pretty cool algorithms in the Eventide stuff. While most are very possible in the Fractal world, the convenience of having them 'premade' would be convenient. Would also make the FM3 more viable to use live for my typical use case, I use a lot of delays and reverbs.
I was hoping for 5 algos and 5 stomps. Baby steps I suppose. There is also some upheaval the H9000 has not received these new algorithms yet and a Stompbox has them.

Agree.

I think there is an untapped market for making more pure FX presets for Fractal stuff.
We get amp tweaks, and IRs, and sound like Player X for days, but nowhere near enough FX presets given the power and the automation capabilities.

I'd love an H9000 preset pack for Fractal stuff. I'd gladly pay for it too.
It would cost thousands of dollars and take years worth of work. An H9 preset pack would be more realistic, but still a monumental undertaking.

Tempted for synth / Elektron boxes etc. however realise I have the other inputs / outputs from my AxeFX III doing nothing!

Reactions: J.C
Why all the Eventide haters here? I have a h9000 and its an awesome unit for guitar. stellar sound.. I don't know what the algorithms consist of in the H90 but I do know Eventide puts a-lot of effects in one algorithm... I think they made the first digital effects period. I love Eventide effects. Pitch shifting is the best I've heard period.... I cant praise their products enough

I had 2 H9s. Pretty cool for sure, but after buying 2 Fractal devices.. they were gathering dust.

If the H90 had just HW8000 level DSP (from 2006) with 4 simultaneous algos I would consider it. But I'm a hard pass on the H90. If I want 2 of the 2013 H9 algos I'll just use the plugins.

Yes everything that processes audio is a signal processing tool. My SSL compressor can get pretty gritty but I’d never use it as a distortion. The H90 is designed pretty clearly to be the successor and a marked improvement over the H9. I wouldn’t use an H9 as my only fx processor nor would I use the H90 as that either. They’re not intended to take that place.

I like the FM3, I like the axefxIII too. Neither one of them are an H9000. They’re not designed to do what that does.
I think your analogy is terrible at best. The FM3 is not locked into being something the way the H9 or the H90 or an SSL is. It has no problems if you only use it for FX. The levels can match +4 or -10, the I/O is fantastic, the CPU is powerful, the FX and routing choices are many, and the interface is great.

The H9 was initially fun but quickly a dog of a unit with beloved and classic presets trapped in a slow interface and a trying bluetooth app.
It was on but has long since left, many, many boards for this reason. The H90 was a great idea... 8 years ago.

I think there is a generation of people with deep brand love for Eventide b/c they were the inarguable gold standard in the era of big racks and b/c, as you say, they are very good at what they do.

That said, they've lost the plot with competitive innovation... innovation which was once their hallmark.

It's apparent they are as much a brand like Harley Davidson today, trading on the romance of the past, shuffling around the same few classic
sounds, making incremental tweaks in different form factors as "new". Am I really supposed to go wild for parallel processing of two FX in 2022? It's a bit sad.

Last edited:
Why all the Eventide haters here? I have a h9000 and its an awesome unit for guitar. stellar sound.. I don't know what the algorithms consist of in the H90 but I do know Eventide puts a-lot of effects in one algorithm... I think they made the first digital effects period. I love Eventide effects. Pitch shifting is the best I've heard period.... I cant praise their products enough
Not a hater, just sad that they don't really push the envelope anymore. They used to! I was a kid in the 90s dreaming of big racks and they were kings.

Today they are in some lesser Line6 remix mode, re-selling "the hits" at different price points in different form factors.
Nothing wrong with that, but it's hardly exciting. For as lower to mid market as L6 is, they are pushing for new and offer a good interface.

Last edited:

An FM3 is also 3x the size and way heavier.

Back
Top Bottom