Axe FX III Spdif Connection Questions?

Dimebucker

Experienced
Do i need two spdif cables to run Axe FX III to soundcard, or should it be just fine using only one spdif cable Axe FX III spdif out to soundcard spdif in?

And another question would be what differences has if you running one spdif cable to soundcard, versus if you are running two spdif cables betwen Axe FX III and soundcard?

And plan is using soundcard as a default device, and Axe FX III delivering only guitar signals on the DAW via spdif.

Do i need two spdif cables to run Axe FX III to soundcard, or should it be just fine using only one spdif cable Axe FX III spdif out to soundcard spdif in?

If you just want sound from the FX3 to your soundcard, one will do. Use decent cables specifically designed for SPDIF. Regular RCA "stereo cables" won't do well.

And another question would be what differences has if you running one spdif cable to soundcard, versus if you are running two spdif cables betwen Axe FX III and soundcard?

Two lets you push audio from your computer to the FX3.

And plan is using soundcard as a default device, and Axe FX III delivering only guitar signals on the DAW via spdif.

This is how I have it set up so I can monitor via studio monitors without the computer being on (soundcard is external) if I want, instead of through the Spacestation XL. I just turn output 2 down and unmute the soundcard input....

HTH!

If you are only planning on simply recording your Axe-Fx III into your DAW, one cable will work just fine. Remember to set your interface to 48 kHz.

If you are planning on re-amping, that's when you would need two cables. You'd also need an interface with both a SPDIF IN & OUT.

In addition to what has already been said, if you only use one SPDIF cable (Axe out to interface in) the Axe must be the master clock and your interface must be the slave.

If you use two cables, either device can be the master clock.

Odd if that is true. With AES, the other device must be master (for the axe3 to operate properly) if both devices are connected in and out (2 cables between 2 devices).
It's true when you're playing guitar into the Axe-FX, and not processing the incoming SPDIF/AES signal somehow. The Word Clock parameter will select the clock source.

Odd if that is true. With AES, the other device must be master (for the axe3 to operate properly) if both devices are connected in and out (2 cables between 2 devices).
For SPDIF you have the option to set the Axe-Fx to internal/external clock, and as long as you set your interface to the opposite setting, it can work in either mode. I've not used AES, so can't comment on that, though I'd expect it to work the same way.

Oh, interesting -- I hadn't considered the "plug in the AES input but don't use it" scenario. o_O

Thanks for setting the record straight.

For SPDIF you have the option to set the Axe-Fx to internal/external clock, and as long as you set your interface to the opposite setting, it can work in either mode. I've not used AES, so can't comment on that, though I'd expect it to work the same way.

Sure, for AES, you can select internal clock, but it won't work properly if you actually use the input signal (in an AES effect loop for example) as noted by @Bakerman.

Thanks for all already i was wondering if someone has Focusrite soundacards, how you set up your Master on Slave options using one or two spidf cables? And also if running two spidf cables soundcard out to Axe FX III in, does soundcard transfer any data to Axe FX III other than Clock:s?

I'm running my setup with interface as master and Axe-Fx as slave. I don't use a Focusrite interface, but the process should be similar.

Depending on your Focusrite interface, you should have a control application. You need to set the clock source there (see: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004519929-What-should-my-Sync-Clock-Source-be-). Set it to "internal" to make the interface the master clock, or "SPDIF" to make it the slave clock.

You'll also need to set your interface to 48k sample rate.

Next, in the Axe-Fx you'll need to setup some global settings for digital I/O. See the "Setup Menu" chapter in the manual, for full details. Here's a summary:

Setup Menu > I/O Audio >
Word Clock: Set this to SPDIF if your Focusrite is set to "Internal" clock (this is the config I use), or set this to Internal if your Focusrite is set to "SPDIF"
SPDIF Out Source: Set this to the channels you wish sent to SPDIF out. E.g. Output 1 for processed sound, or Input 1 for DI signal.
Digital Input Source: Set to SPDIF
Input Source (1, 2, 3, 4): Leave as analog to have Axe-Fx only use SPDIF output signal, or set one of these to "digital" to feed that input with SPDIF in, rather than the analog jacks.

That also hints at an answer to your final question: you don't have to use SPDIF in for anything other than clock, but you can use it for one of your four inputs, if you wish, by setting the Input Source in the settings.

I'm running my setup with interface as master and Axe-Fx as slave. I don't use a Focusrite interface, but the process should be similar.

Depending on your Focusrite interface, you should have a control application. You need to set the clock source there (see: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004519929-What-should-my-Sync-Clock-Source-be-). Set it to "internal" to make the interface the master clock, or "SPDIF" to make it the slave clock.

You'll also need to set your interface to 48k sample rate.

Next, in the Axe-Fx you'll need to setup some global settings for digital I/O. See the "Setup Menu" chapter in the manual, for full details. Here's a summary:

Setup Menu > I/O Audio >
Word Clock: Set this to SPDIF if your Focusrite is set to "Internal" clock (this is the config I use), or set this to Internal if your Focusrite is set to "SPDIF"
SPDIF Out Source: Set this to the channels you wish sent to SPDIF out. E.g. Output 1 for processed sound, or Input 1 for DI signal.
Digital Input Source: Set to SPDIF
Input Source (1, 2, 3, 4): Leave as analog to have Axe-Fx only use SPDIF output signal, or set one of these to "digital" to feed that input with SPDIF in, rather than the analog jacks.

That also hints at an answer to your final question: you don't have to use SPDIF in for anything other than clock, but you can use it for one of your four inputs, if you wish, by setting the Input Source in the settings.
Thanks for all that information.

Thanks for all already i was wondering if someone has Focusrite soundacards, how you set up your Master on Slave options using one or two spidf cables? And also if running two spidf cables soundcard out to Axe FX III in, does soundcard transfer any data to Axe FX III other than Clock:s?

If you want to do re-amping, follow the instructions in the recording guide, and the sound card will transfer the guitar signal to the Axe-FX.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

To add to what I mentioned above:

If using one cable (Axe-Fx SPDIF out, only), set Axe-Fx to "internal", Focusrite to "SPDIF" clock (this in the only config that works)

If using two cables, I recommend setting Axe-Fx to "SPDIF" clock and Focusrite to "internal". That's what I do, and it sounds like there might be a bug if running it the other way around.

To add to what I mentioned above:

If using one cable (Axe-Fx SPDIF out, only), set Axe-Fx to "internal", Focusrite to "SPDIF" clock (this in the only config that works)

If using two cables, I recommend setting Axe-Fx to "SPDIF" clock and Focusrite to "internal". That's what I do, and it sounds like there might be a bug if running it the other way around.
Do you mean running two spdif cables i should pick SPDIF/AES IN for clock and SPDIF digital input source, and then i should pick INTERNAL Focusrite clock? And if i do that kind of wiring whit two cables, should i add SPDIF input channel on Focusrite control panel?

And if i do that kind of wiring whit two cables, should i add SPDIF input channel on Focusrite control panel?
Yes, in Focusrite Control, create a custom mix for your monitor output and add spdif stereo input to it. This is all described in the recording guide, but you need to do that in order to monitor your guitar playing.

Back
Top Bottom