What is the best midi controller option for the FM3

xavi.t

While using the FM3, i observe a certain lag while switching through scene, i read on an other post that the fact that im using the hold function make the scene change when i release the button, which is kinda impossible to do so quick that you can't hear the lag. So i need a midi controller to have more switchs so i can use em to directly choose a scene and still being able to switch through my presets whitout the need of the hold function.
Anyway i'm wondering if the Morningstar MC6 is the best option or if there is maybe somewhere an even cheaper device that would do the same job

If you want cheap, then the Behringer FCB1010 comes to mind. It is huge though. I always thought the Morningstar controllers had the best features and flexibility though. I plan on getting one in the not too distant future.

If you want cheap, then the Behringer FCB1010 comes to mind. It is huge though. I always thought the Morningstar controllers had the best features and flexibility though. I plan on getting one in the not too distant future.
Allright thanks for the info man! im goin to check this thing out

I know there's the MeloAudio MIDI commander, a device at good price but on a video Leon Todd was saying you can't make it choose a particular scene, you can only switch up and down between your scene. Im wondering if this issue has been resolved

While using the FM3, i observe a certain lag while switching through scene, i read on an other post that the fact that im using the hold function make the scene change when i release the button, which is kinda impossible to do so quick that you can't hear the lag. So i need a midi controller to have more switchs so i can use em to directly choose a scene and still being able to switch through my presets whitout the need of the hold function.
Anyway i'm wondering if the Morningstar MC6 is the best option or if there is maybe somewhere an even cheaper device that would do the same job
Before you buy something, take the Hold function off the switch to see if it’s fast enough now. The hold function doesn’t add that much time in my experience unless you’re extremely slow on releasing.

There is some smaller midi pedal if you go through the "Show us your FM3 rigs" you will see people using. Its like a strip you put at the foot of your FM3, it has a few options and bluetooth etc if needed.

I have the Morningstar MC8, after wanting one for YEARS. Got it right before the FM3, and to me its been a doorstop.
The app you need to use to me, to me, was exhausting. You need to choose the on and off and all these weird drop downs
to do something so simple. I will probably be selling it soon but holding on hoping it will one day "magically" work with the FM3.
On Morningstars youtube, about 5 months ago they posted a video about the new "Fractal" options which is basically that it just works with the FM3, with little effort, reads it midi, etc. However there has been a lot of back and forth with testers and customers saying its not as easy as they make it out in the video. Morningstar has been trasparent and cool and saying they dont have an FM3 to actually test on but they have a Fractal Axe FX3 or something.
They were great on email support, but bottom line unless you have the inclination for the computer app then... yeah..

In the past I had a Boss ES-8 which is a pedal switcher, but also a midi switcher. It needed no computer or app, but with simple buttons you could program everything you need and it was a great experience. Perfect piece of equipment basically. They make smaller versions, a 3 switch and a 5 switch. Some with "hundreds of Boss pedals" in them which is cool to throw in a switcher.

Yeah the Behringers look awesome for the price. I have seen some... professional musicians.... using it. Like people who sell out large venues.

@xavi.t - I was looking into this recently and had a conversation with @voes about their midi controllers, and asked about how various functions work, specifically because I want to achieve what you're looking to do - have single-press availability for all scenes when adding in an external midi controller.

You can see their rig and the answers they gave to my questions in this thread - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/voes-mc-5jr-fm3-awesome.170117/

I have not purchased one yet myself but am planning on doing so in the near future, once I start selling some of my analog gear that I'm not using any longer.

For the money, with the online editor, the Morningstar controller is great IMO. It is extremely flexible for it's size. The integration mode that pulls preset & scene names is awesome plus up to 4 CC expression pedals at the same time on the MC8. That's a lot of modifiers it can control. It takes a little programing but I feel it can do most anything I need it to. It just takes a little methodical thought process to get what you want out of it. It works perfectly for me. The editor makes it easy. Plus there are frequent firmware updates much like fractal that show they care about their customers continued experience with their product. Although I don't think they have as big of a community of contributors, developers & betas testers like fractal. It may not be "the" best, (maybe like RJM, which starts getting into too much bank for me, cause if I had that much bank I would get an Axe-FX III) but for my use & probably a lot of others I feel it is a great contender.

Unless you are using other pedals or devices that require a MIDI through, then it is hard to beat an FC-6. Easy integration with FM3Edit and multi-function foot switches with assignable LED colors make it extremely flexible. Plus you have the ability to import layouts created by others as a starting point instead of having to program a separate device. Size could certainly be a downside, though durability certainly is not. It sounds like budget may be an issue, so that may be your limiting factor, but if you have the ability to wait and save, they are worth the money in my opinion.

The FC-6 is still the best option IMO, although the Sonic Airstep works great and is very handy for other stuff. I have an MC8 inbound which is mainly to control my Boss Looper, but should be great for the FM3 also.

I know there's the MeloAudio MIDI commander, a device at good price but on a video Leon Todd was saying you can't make it choose a particular scene, you can only switch up and down between your scene. Im wondering if this issue has been resolved
It looks like this issue has been resolved with a recent firmware update. There’s now a mode that lets you select 7 different scenes. At $150, it’s very capable, and I don’t think you can go wrong.

+1 on the FCB1010. It's big, but it's also quite capable and has TWO expression pedals.

Personally, I send MIDI via Bluetooth from my iPad rockin' OnSong so the 3 switches are more than enough once my iPad does all the heavy lifting (preset change > scene select > block bypass > parameter value(s)).

But if you don't need EXP pedals and all you need is more switches and you've got the cash, the FC6 is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
I doubt there's any "best"....it's probably a matter of the features and form factor you want. I have a Hotone 4-button switches from Amazon ($100)
hotone switch
It's got extra inputs for expression pedals/switches too. Wireless setup via a phone app.
So...not as elegant as the FC-6 but small and much less expensive. I just can't see carrying another box the size of the FM3.

I agree with @Admin M@ - the FC6 is a much better match.
But if you want a midi controller because you may use it with other devices (where the FC6 would not be usable)...
My picks are:
  • Voes
  • Morningstar
  • Singular Midi Maestro

They're all super configurable and can do almost anything you can think of.

Back
Top Bottom