Help me replace my ancient studio monitors!

Handyman

Inspired
What are the current front runners for good studio monitors, mostly for using my Axe FX in my home studio? I'm currently using a 20 year old Event Tria system that has served me well, but they're starting to misbehave. Nothing lasts forever, I guess.

My biggest constraint is size - the current monitors are about 7.5" wide by 9" deep. I can go a bit larger than this, but not by a huge amount. Height isn't a constraint.

What are my options for both best monitor and the "best for the buck" in 2022? No idea what my price range is yet - last time I got a feel for the price/performance curve of these things was a REALLY long time ago.

I went from KRK to Mackie and the Mackies were very very good, but I now have Adam A7X's and very happy with them, bcuz I can play my Axe on them then record/Mix with them but I had to pay the hefty price, but they'll last, made very good.
If you are on a budget then the new Adam 7TV I think they're called are really decent sounding for everything I did with them

I went from KRK to Mackie and the Mackies were very very good, but I now have Adam A7X's and very happy with them, bcuz I can play my Axe on them then record/Mix with them but I had to pay the hefty price, but they'll last, made very good.
If you are on a budget then the new Adam 7TV I think they're called are really decent sounding for everything I did with them
I'd been looking at both the Adam A7X and the T7V. Would I want a sub with these?

I would take a look at Red Sound Studio6. I had many monitors in my “studio” life but this is the first time I found ones I love right out of the box.

mostly for using my Axe FX in my home studio

I think you probably don't need to get too enthused about having the best studio monitors the world has ever seen. The best guitar tones come out of battered 4x12 cabinets that date back to 196x.

With that being said, I think you can't go far wrong with either the A7X's or some nice Focal Monitors mentioned by @fractalz. You won't need a sub, definitely not for guitar.

Unless you're doing electronic music or orchestral music, you don't need a sub.

if you can, go audition the monitors.

Really need a rough price range for good suggestions. "Bang for buck" like you said is probably going to be in the $500-1500 per pair range, and I'd argue that true bang for buck is near the lower end of that range. But they might not be as good as the "best" monitor set which could easily be $5k+ per pair.

Having owned both the Adam A7 and Focal Shape 40 - I'd choose the Shape any time. They have a much smoother frequency response and the sealed enclosure sounds great.

Eh, I just use Presonus Eris E5’s. They’re good enough and I still have both kidneys.

After years of chronic GAS and IAS (infinite analysis syndrome) I started to just grab the midrange and see. Like it once took me 4 years to choose the ‘perfect’ delay pedal! Then when I wanted a compressor I just did a quick google and bought the Seymour Duncan vice grip. It was fine, any deficiencies I just worked around (although that was a great pedal)

So if you can’t try some and return them, I would just pick any of the ones that have been mentioned that have a price you’re comfortable with.

I‘ve used Presonus Scepter S8s for years with good luck, and hear the Eris monitors are also quite good. Dynaudio BM5A monitors are great in a smaller size monitor, as well.

Focal Alpha 65. Tried Yamaha HS7 and HS8, Adam T7V, JBL 308 and 305. Focals were the clear winner for my setup and preference for what I like to hear. Presets created using them translate very well to PA systems.

The Adam A7X monitors get my vote……of course this is mainly because I just bought some….lol. They sure sound good though!

Anyone have experience with the KRK V6 series 4? I’m interested in hearing opinions on those. Especially versus Adam A7X, Focal Shape, APS Klasik, Neumann KH120.

Back
Top Bottom