Hammer on loudness

rsvette12

Power User
Hi Friends

Question how can I get louder sounds by just hammering on (less picking) - currently its very subtle sounding - is it a trim setting or something like that ? thanks much

Thank you much Guys - compressor I would think that would make it quiet
It makes sounds louder than the threshold quieter so they are more even with the sounds below the threshold. You can then boost the whole signal back up to compensate which effectively makes the quiet sounds louder relative to the original loud ones.

A limiter is just a compressor with a very high compression ratio. In the case of brick wall limiters, the ratio is infinite.

My experience is that it’s all technique, as there are relatively few electronic solutions to physical issues (like “quiet/dull hammers”). For me it was about learning to be slightly less aggressive with my picking hand in general — which made my hammers appear to be louder in comparison. Also allowed me to learn the benefits of lighter gauge strings, since my hand strength ain’t what it used to be.

Yes technique is super important also get that pinky finger involved makes a huge difference

I do use 9s with .015 G string - bend it all day long - having a blast with new AXE III its so far ahead of the others - wish I found Fractal long time ago

If you would like to develop your hammer-on (and tapping) technique, I would strongly recommend reaching out to Trey Gunn. For those unfamiliar, he was a member of King Crimson for many years, and plays an instrument called the "Warr Guitar", which has ten strings and is played by tapping with both hands (similar to Chapman Stick). Trey is a brilliant musician, and also a great creative coach. He teaches via Zoom, and you can schedule time with him via <originalvoicecoaching@gmail.com>
His tapping technique is highly refined, and he knows how to teach others to develop their own voice.

Full disclosure: Trey and I are friends. I have participated in his tapping seminars (I also play Warr guitar), and I get a lot of value from his creative coaching. I get nothing by making a recommendation, other than helping the community.

At a tapping workshop, Trey was teaching us part of the KC song "The ConstruKCtion of Light" and had a few of us playing the guitar / bass parts. Trey came in with his part and it was amazing how huge and articulate his tapping is, straight into a clean amp. His tapping mechanism is like a piston, with tight economy of motion. If you want to shape up your hammer on / tapping, he'd be a good source of info. Bonus: he's also very cool and quite funny.

I would say you need a little of both: technique and compression. Of course, compression comes from many sources other than just a compressor pedal. Any form of overdrive or tube saturation is compressing the signal. Speaker compression is also a fun tool: turn it up enough and chords start sounding weaker than single notes.

As others have pointed out, there is no substitute for technique. If you compress the snot out of everything, your hammer-one and hammer-offs will have volume, but still sound weak in the tone and attack.

Count me in for another accolade to technique.

I've been watching Buckethead lately and I'm amazed at his hammer on and tapping technique especially when he combines it with his kill switch.
Here's a great video with him showing his prowess.
A good example @51.30 & 1.07.04

Last edited:
Thank you much Guys - compressor I would think that would make it quiet
Technically that's how a compressor works: It makes the louder sounds quieter, but then boosts all of the signal. It's why using a compressor helps bring out harmonics.
But also, regarding hammer-ons..., the first thing is in your technique. Good effects and amplification help, but you really want to strive to be able to hammer on just as loud as picking. If relying on compression, you lose, to some extent, the dynamics of your playing.

Back
Top Bottom