Is anyone at all modeling weird and/or terrible amps and cabs, on purpose?

I’m on the email list and can’t wait to order my III as soon as they’re available again. Meantime I’ve been researching and reading up constantly and there’s only one thing that sounds lacking so far — it’s that as near as I can tell EVERY amp and cab model (paid or free) is chasing after the best of the best. I’m also going to be diy’ing some of the worst of the worst myself, but is nobody else doing this?

I know, I know: “Why would you possibly want that?”, it defeats the purpose, 0.2% of players would be interested, etc. Well, because we can? For experimental work? For nostalgia’s sake? For ridiculous pointless fun?

I’d love to be able to dial up the Peavey Bandit 65 that I had in my first band, or a Crate practice amp, or a 4x12 with slashed speakers. “Awful” amps and cabs that are well-engineered with great mics.

The closest I’ve seen — and it’s not very close — is AustinBuddy’s Vintage Cool and Rare, which I’m really looking forward to playing with but it’s not exactly what I have in mind.

If anyone knows of a place to check out this kind of thing and can point me in a direction I’d super appreciate it!

Figure out what those amps are based on, and start there. The 1x8 speaker IRs may be useful to you. Also the JC-120 as a base?

Sounds like a great place to start, thanks. Since I haven’t been able to mess with it yet I’ve assumed that it won’t be easy to get it to sound bad but authentic. It makes sense that it could be one of the roads to get to where I want to be.

You can definitely get amps that sound broken. I worked on a couple sounds with Dweezil Zappa and he described some amp sounds he was going for as "I want it to sound like a fender tweed about to explode". You can get very creative, turn off the power amp, swap in different tone stacks, mess with the voltage, swap the tubes. Stuff that would be impossible in real life. Use drive pedals as the amp block etc.

You can get theAxeFX to sound as "good" or as "bad" as you'd like.

I’m on the email list and can’t wait to order my III as soon as they’re available again. Meantime I’ve been researching and reading up constantly and there’s only one thing that sounds lacking so far — it’s that as near as I can tell EVERY amp and cab model (paid or free) is chasing after the best of the best. I’m also going to be diy’ing some of the worst of the worst myself, but is nobody else doing this?

I know, I know: “Why would you possibly want that?”, it defeats the purpose, 0.2% of players would be interested, etc. Well, because we can? For experimental work? For nostalgia’s sake? For ridiculous pointless fun?

I’d love to be able to dial up the Peavey Bandit 65 that I had in my first band, or a Crate practice amp, or a 4x12 with slashed speakers. “Awful” amps and cabs that are well-engineered with great mics.

The closest I’ve seen — and it’s not very close — is AustinBuddy’s Vintage Cool and Rare, which I’m really looking forward to playing with but it’s not exactly what I have in mind.

If anyone knows of a place to check out this kind of thing and can point me in a direction I’d super appreciate it!
Try the bit crusher drive in front of any amp. Turn up bit reduction.

Hoping and praying for the Gorilla 112 combo with "Tube Stack" technology, and a model of that Arion distortion pedal I had as a kid.
I had both... Actually, the TubeStack switch had some cool tones!

My son still has my Gorilla amp that I got when I was 16! I gave it to him when he was 3-4 years old... He never ended up playing but he kept it.

In case Cliff ever gets a desire to model... Just saying ;)

I had both... Actually, the TubeStack switch had some cool tones!

My son still has my Gorilla amp that I got when I was 16! I gave it to him when he was 3-4 years old... He never ended up playing but he kept it.

In case Cliff ever gets a desire to model... Just saying ;)
Def Leppard is recording their next album with them.

Think I still have one of those in a box somewhere... ;-)
The red one or the grey/black one?

The original Arion Chorus pedals go for a good chunk of change.

I had the black/very distortion, the Flanger and the Chorus when I was just starting out. My first effects pedals.

I had the black/very distortion, the Flanger and the Chorus when I was just starting out. My first effects pedals.
I just googled it, and I actually think it was the black and orange Overdrive...

Unknown-2.jpg

Now I'm gonna have to go digging in the basement to see ;-)

Yep. I had the Distortion and the Flanger too. I liked the distortion. It had a soft mode that sounded pretty good at the time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom