Looking for tips on how to get more accurate with the Looper

DougB415

Power User
Our band, which is normally 4-piece, is losing our lead guitarist for a while. I'll be filling in for him, and I'd like to use the Looper for some backing rhythm guitar in at least half of our setlist. I've identified sections of songs that could be recorded and then played back later during solo time. We won't be getting together for at least a month so I have time to work on technique. But it feels like hitting the mark consistently is hit or miss. I've been playing along to some drum loops, and it always seems like the guitar loop is never the exact length to be able to play more than once. It's usually just a tad bit too short, like I'm hitting the Play button (to stop recording) a bit early. Are there any knowns tricks to get the Looper more in the pocket?

Our band, which is normally 4-piece, is losing our lead guitarist for a while. I'll be filling in for him, and I'd like to use the Looper for some backing rhythm guitar in at least half of our setlist. I've identified sections of songs that could be recorded and then played back later during solo time. We won't be getting together for at least a month so I have time to work on technique. But it feels like hitting the mark consistently is hit or miss. I've been playing along to some drum loops, and it always seems like the guitar loop is never the exact length to be able to play more than once. It's usually just a tad bit too short, like I'm hitting the Play button (to stop recording) a bit early. Are there any knowns tricks to get the Looper more in the pocket?
You simply have to press it on time, there’s not too much more to it. Be sure to press on the downbeat or 1 of the next measure. So you’d hit the chord and press play to close the loop at the same time on 1.

Here’s an old video I did. Start at 20:12 for the concepts part.

Sometimes I hit record
Then at the end hit record again to stop recording
Instead of ( stop/play)
Seems tighter.
Of course you have to hit stop/play after
But i think you just have to get use to tapping in and out on the right beat.

it can be done.

If it’s just a one-pass loop, then it usually works out okay. But if it’s a loop that repeats a number of times, that’s where I have trouble. I’m “clicking in“ okay on ‘Record’; it seems that when I click ‘Play’ to stop recording and start playing, that’s where a tiny bit of the ending is lost. So the loop is just a tad bit short, and it starts coming in too early on repeated plays.

I have a studio and am used to working with a metronome, so that’s not an issue. Chris, I’ll check out your video, thanks!

Last edited:
There are standalone loopers with modes that set your loop endpoint to the next tap/beat, even if you are a little off on your timing. I used to have a Boomerang and that was the mode I stayed in most

This is what I do:
1. Use an external switch (FS-5)
2. The switch actuates on the down, not the up
3. Use the same switch for Record/Play, so you don't have to reposition your foot
4. Press the switch with your core, not with your foot....

The FS-5 is a low profile switch that will enable you to keep your heel on the ground when you tap it. The FS-5 is a low travel switch, so there is less room for error.

"Press the switch with your core" ... yeah ... so, if you try to keep time with your tap motion, while your body is doing something else it will be less accurate. Keep time with your spine, involve the whole body, even if its is a small motion. Imagine the foot switch is connected to your tail bone, and press it from there.

Hope this helps.

I have also found that turning crossfade on messes with the time of the loop ... without it there is a pop in the loop BUT ... if its in time, you might not notice it.

This is what I do:
1. Use an external switch (FS-5)
2. The switch actuates on the down, not the up
3. Use the same switch for Record/Play, so you don't have to reposition your foot
4. Press the switch with your core, not with your foot....

The FS-5 is a low profile switch that will enable you to keep your heel on the ground when you tap it. The FS-5 is a low travel switch, so there is less room for error.

"Press the switch with your core" ... yeah ... so, if you try to keep time with your tap motion, while your body is doing something else it will be less accurate. Keep time with your spine, involve the whole body, even if its is a small motion. Imagine the foot switch is connected to your tail bone, and press it from there.

Hope this helps.
FS-5L or FS-5U? I’m guessing it’s the latching model.

If it’s just a one-pass loop, then it usually works out okay. But if it’s a loop that repeats a number of times, that’s where I have trouble. I’m “clicking in“ okay on ‘Record’; it seems that when I click ‘Play’ to stop recording and start playing, that’s where a tiny bit of the ending is lost. So the loop is just a tad bit short, and it starts coming in too early on repeated plays.

I have a studio and am used to working with a metronome, so that’s not an issue. Chris, I’ll check out your video, thanks!
Post audio of a loop that isn’t right. It will help us help you if we can hear what’s going on.

If you are playing with a drum machine or metronome, set your global tempo on the Axe to the same tempo as the DM (or for bonus points, use the MIDI out of the drum machine to sync the tempo of the Axe) and make sure “quantize” is turned on in the looper block.

If you are playing with a live drummer and no one is using a metronome, make sure quantize is turned OFF. Otherwise the loop repeats start getting wonky.

If you guys are playing live with no metronome, your whole band is going to need to hear your guitar really well to be able to play along in sync with the loop. It may be trickier than you think, depending on the monitoring setup.

If you guys are playing live with no metronome, your whole band is going to need to hear your guitar really well to be able to play along in sync with the loop. It may be trickier than you think, depending on the monitoring setup.
This is certainly a valid point. Bass player will have IEMs, not sure if drummer will use IEMs or his trusty monitor that blasts at his left ear. We all will have our own monitor mix. One thing that I’ve found is that since there is no separation between the two guitar parts, the looper can get lost In the mix easily. And there is no metronome, we don’t use backing tracks. Just a basic old school rock trio. So the looper might get bagged after the first rehearsal :rolleyes:

We do what @D.B. Walker said too. I’m in a guitar/drums duo. We use a lot of live looping. We run the looped output to a separate channel on the mixer. For FOH, the guitar and the looper channels are at the same level, but for our IEM mixes, the looped level is a bit higher, so we can stay synced up with it.

Back
Top Bottom