Factory Presets

Kyloc_Armis

So I have had the Axe 3 for a while now. I'm curious as to if I'm alone in this...but does anybody else find some of the factory presets sound god awful? I'm a high gain guy and the rectifier, diezel and especially the Uberschall presets sound terrible. Everything sounds muddy. I refuse to believe the boys at Fractal designed such awful sounding presets so am I doing something wrong here?

Just wondering if anybody else found themselves pretty underwhelmed with the factory presets.

It’s a subjective thing I’m sure, no doubt some people think they sound great, others don’t

some like coke, some like Pepsi

plenty of options on the market or can always just tweak and save over stuff you don’t like/won’t use

I play a PRS singlecut with a Duncan JB straight into the Axe and out to a Friedman FRFR monitor. I've also never updated the factory presets so it's been the original versions throughout all my firmware updates. Perhaps that is adding some variables to the equation?

Not exactly sure how to update the factory presets. Fractal bot?

seems at the very least you should get the most recently updated FacPre's...FractalBot, yees...

seems at the very least you should get the most recently updated FacPre's...FractalBot, yees...
I've moved the factory presets into the higher banks (like banks 200 and up). Is it going to replace them in that location or is it going to save them in banks 1 to whatever again?

You'd haven't updated the presets along with the firmwares? I think you answered your own question, there. Updating them is a similar process in FractalBot to updating FW.

After taking that step, you're still left with...
What are you monitoring with? Guitar? Strings? What are your fingers like? Pick? As others have pointed out, there are literally endless variables you can point to that could make the presets sound different on your end. They are meant as inspiring starting spots, not panaceas for great tone for every single end user--a roadmap to get to great tone with a few adjustments at worst, and an out-of-the-box perfect tone at best.

There's your problem right there...:p

I actually found the factory presets to be some of the most useable I've encountered with modelers. A couple have become base amp tones for a few of my personal presets. To each their own though....
One of my guitars uses a JB and sounds great with the factory presets. I had a Friedman FR10 and found it dark and boxy sounding until cranked.

We all have different tastes. Tweak to fit yours and your gear.

I play a PRS singlecut with a Duncan JB straight into the Axe and out to a Friedman FRFR monitor. I've also never updated the factory presets so it's been the original versions throughout all my firmware updates. Perhaps that is adding some variables to the equation?

Not exactly sure how to update the factory presets. Fractal bot?

Hey I found the same, using a prs custom 24 with \m/ pickups and a friedman asc-10, the factory presets I did not enjoy. After the presets were updated they are much much better now! I highly recommend updating them!

One of my guitars uses a JB and sounds great with the factory presets. I had a Friedman FR10 and found it dark and boxy sounding until cranked.

We all have different tastes. Tweak to fit yours and your gear.
Ya I'm finding the same thing. Everything spunds a lot better when cranked. Which is disappointing as that defeats one of the reasons I bought the Fractal in the first place.

Hey I found the same, using a prs custom 24 with \m/ pickups and a friedman asc-10, the factory presets I did not enjoy. After the presets were updated they are much much better now! I highly recommend updating them!
I updated the presets today and they still sound god awful to me. Very muddy. I can make my own presets that sound better with the same amps...just very perplexing as to how the factory presets can be so bad.

I updated the presets today and they still sound god awful to me. Very muddy. I can make my own presets that sound better with the same amps...just very perplexing as to how the factory presets can be so bad.
Can you list a couple preset numbers of the ones you find muddy?

Can you list a couple preset numbers of the ones you find muddy?
My preset numbers are off as I moved them in the higher banks. But the names are Recto 1, Recto 2, Euro Uber (probably the worst of them all for mud) and Dizzy VH4. None of these amps should sound like a blanket is overtop of them.

I play a PRS singlecut with a Duncan JB straight into the Axe and out to a Friedman FRFR monitor.

Not sure if you’ve tried other FRFR speakers yet, but I’ve found the Friedman FRFRs to be quite dark and colored in general, no matter the source. My suspicion is that muddiness you’re hearing is the Friedman’s doing, not the presets. Do you have a pair of studio monitors you can compare?

Factory presets on any unit are a starting point. Some say they sound great, some say they don’t. It’s impossible to make them sound good on every possible setup.

They’re best used to see functionality and provide ideas, and then make your own or adjust them as needed. It’s just not possible for them to sound good to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom