Axe-Fx III, Mac OS, Logic, USB Audio Troubleshooting

jvilla

I have posted a few times and just when I think I have things figured out and working, I get a reality check. For example tonight I went to do some playing and when I plug in? Nothing. I can hear it through the headphones but nothing shows up in Logic. I restarted the computer and the Axe and nothing. Just the other day it worked fine. I thought this was a more of a plug and play thing, but it is turning out to be a very frustrating experience so far.

Hi, check this.
Ok not sure if you tried this. Create a new Project in Logic Choose Guitar or Bass make sure
Input Monitoring is checked and make sure these are set
INPUT:Input 1 OUTPUT: Output 1 + 2
you should see
Input device: AXE-FX II and Output device: AXE-FX II
Click Create

Then tty this:

1. Create an Aggregate Device. Go into Finder, Applications, Utilities, AudioMidi Setup. click the plus sign in the bottom left, and create a new aggregate device. On the right side of this window,check the ins and outs of your computer and your axe fx. Now, you have a new virtual sound card containing all of your ins and outs. Name this Aggregate Device something unique so you know it's the special one that you need to always use.

2. Open Logic - Preferences, Audio, choose the new aggregate device as your input and output source

3. Click on an input channel. Make the input mono or stereo, to suit your purposes. Choose the correct axe fx input. The Main outputs 1 L and Right are the first two USB inputs in the Axe Fx, but, if you checked the box for your Mac first, and then the Axe Fx second, when you set up your Aggregate device, the first two inputs will be your Mac's built in Mic in Stereo, and inputs 3 and 4 will actually be the main output 1, left and right, of your axe fx. If this messes with your mind, create a new aggregate, or edit your aggregate (close Logic before you edit your aggregate), and choose the Axe III's ins and outs first, and then secondly, choose the Mac's Ins and outs. Now the Axe III's stuff will be the first 8 ins of your Aggregate, and your built-in Mac Mic will be your inputs 9 and 10 of your aggregate.

4. Click on the output of the channel, and choose the main outputs of your computer itself

5. Arm the record button and play the song. Record your guitar for a measure.

6. Stop and listen to whether a track was recorded.

NOTE: Sometimes Logic will revert to something other than the Aggregate device, and you will freak out because your Axe Fx inputs will be "greyed out" and not selectable. This means you need to go into the Logic preferences / audio again, and once again choose the Aggregate Device as your Input and output source. This usually happens to me if I have Logic open, and then turn on my Axe FX and I have learned now, to double check that Logic is using my Aggregate Device, not the Mac sound card, or the Axe Fx itself.

Hi, check this.
Ok not sure if you tried this. Create a new Project in Logic Choose Guitar or Bass make sure
Input Monitoring is checked and make sure these are set
INPUT:Input 1 OUTPUT: Output 1 + 2
you should see
Input device: AXE-FX II and Output device: AXE-FX II
Click Create
Ok, I restarted the computer again. and followed what you posted and it worked. Now if it doesn't work tomorrow I will try what you posted in your second post. Thanks so much for taking the time. I bookmarked that!

Ok, I restarted the computer again. and followed what you posted and it worked. Now if it doesn't work tomorrow I will try what you posted in your second post. Thanks so much for taking the time. I bookmarked that!
Many times simply restarting your Mac will fix a broken connection.

No problem anytime ...!!

I’ve had some issues with logic, but solved them; I’m in India at the moment and can’t double check what I did and how I set things up at the moment, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and things will work flawlessly if properly configured.

I use Logic every single day, switching between my Axe-FX and RME interfaces regularly, and have done so on multiple machines... it works perfectly fine. So I'd suspect configuration / user error rather than a problem with how the Axe-FX works with Logic in general.

I use Logic every single day, switching between my Axe-FX and RME interfaces regularly, and have done so on multiple machines... it works perfectly fine. So I'd suspect configuration / user error rather than a problem with how the Axe-FX works with Logic in general.
It is almost certainly %100 percent user error! HA! still frustrating though when all you want to do is rock out..

always power up the AXE FX before the computer and Logic. The only time i have trouble, is when i don't and the computer goes back to using the built in sound card. Not a big deal, if you're used to dealing with it, but you shouldn't have to.

Logic is solid and predictable with the right setup.

Create an audio "Template" in Logic that's a default for starting ANY project!!! That way, all assignments in relation to everything audio, midi, internal, external, and sync will be the same every time.

Hope this helps

I have posted a few times and just when I think I have things figured out and working, I get a reality check. For example tonight I went to do some playing and when I plug in? Nothing. I can hear it through the headphones but nothing shows up in Logic. I restarted the computer and the Axe and nothing. Just the other day it worked fine. I thought this was a more of a plug and play thing, but it is turning out to be a very frustrating experience so far.
It is almost certainly %100 percent user error! HA! still frustrating though when all you want to do is rock out..
may not be user error . I have experienced this consistently for quite some time...for reasons unknown to me, at various times the III will become unassociated from the Aggregate device and will be greyed out in the config window of the Audio Midi Utility, Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 12.49.37 PM.png
and the III needs to be reassociated as seen above. PITA.. but computer restarts usually not needed but a Logic restart will be. would love to get to root cause. hope this helps.

Since a mac update some time ago, I’ve got problems with the usb connexion.
It appeared just after an update On the mac side.
I just took the habit to unplug and replug the usb cable after I’ve switched on the mac. Since I do this little ritual, no more problem.

I do not use the aggregate device thing, it’s litterally plug and play...and Cubase....

Since a mac update some time ago, I’ve got problems with the usb connexion.
It appeared just after an update On the mac side.
I just took the habit to unplug and replug the usb cable after I’ve switched on the mac. Since I do this little ritual, no more problem.

I do not use the aggregate device thing, it’s litterally plug and play...and Cubase....
Agreed. I have the USB issue, but only if I don’t power on the interface first. If I forget I just pull the usb plug out for 2 seconds, and it’s fixed. Plug and play with Logic too

Back
Top Bottom