Why was the AX8 not upgraded to Ares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro Rick

Inspired
I ask this question, because if the answer is "not enough cpu". Then how bright is the future for the FM3 with similar cpu?

The Ax8 was a floorboard version axe fx ii, which came first, cost more, had more cpu, and was upgraded to Ares, and is therefore still supported.

If that's the reason, won't the same kind of thing happen down the road when the next higher level of software comes along?

My understanding is that AX8 development was impeded due to the code base being vastly different from other products. And the lead developer on the AX8 is no longer with Fractal, thus the FM3 was born. It is also my understanding that the FM3 shares its fundamental code base with the AXE FX III, thus will be supported much easier as things progress with the Axe software. I could be wrong on all fronts, but this is my gleaning of info over time on these forums.

My understanding is that AX8 development was impeded due to the code base being vastly different from other products. And the lead developer on the AX8 is no longer with Fractal, thus the FM3 was born. It is also my understanding that the FM3 shares its fundamental code base with the AXE FX III, thus will be supported much easier as things progress with the Axe software. I could be wrong on all fronts, but this is my gleaning of info over time on these forums.
You are saying the architecture of the Ax8 was different requiring double work for every update, that would be a good explanation, sounds likely.

It does lack CPU , thats why Cliff is having a hard time with it
The AX8 is not full Ares platform only pieces , it does not have the same GUI, algorithms, foot switchng options
it does not have the same processors and was designed mostly by an engineer that left FAS years ago

The AX8 V10 firmware from last July incorporates the first round of Ares improvements. IOW, it did get Ares updates. @FractalAudio posted that he's actively working on getting another round of Ares improvements ported to the AX8.

The AX8 is not full Ares platform only pieces , it does not have the same GUI, algorithms, foot switchng options
it does not have the same processors and was designed mostly by an engineer that left FAS years ago
Well hopefully the FM3 will have a healthy life cycle, many years of support, and not cut short due to it's lack of cpu.

I am not too worried about CPU. Software can always be optimized and made to run more efficiently if it is needed. We will get many years of updates on the FM3 and even more use out of it when they stop. As long as the AD/DA converters are good, I am betting that this will be a choice piece of gear for a good long time.

Newb question. Other than running 2 amps simultaneously (which I have zero interest in) what features are lacking because of the “lack of CPU” in the FM3 or the Axe8 for that matter.

Well hopefully the FM3 will have a healthy life cycle, many years of support, and not cut short due to it's lack of cpu.

Is a healthy life cycle defined by years of updates or simply by years of being a well made product that sounds great ?

It’s not like the Ax8 CPU suddenly stopped working, it sounds as good as it ever did, no?

Most products we buy based upon how they work at the time..... when I bought a pedal or amp it was about what features it had and how it sounded. I didn’t buy a pedal expecting to send it in every few months and have them add extra knobs or something.

Buying a product not for what it is, but for what we hope it may be seems like quite a good way to be nothing but disappointed.

I think wanting to know if you're going to stop getting updates while the flagship keeps seeing regular updates is a legitimate inquiry and will influence a purchase decision for some, myself included.

Last edited:
Is a healthy life cycle defined by years of updates or simply by years of being a well made product that sounds great ?

It’s not like the Ax8 CPU suddenly stopped working, it sounds as good as it ever did, no?

Most products we buy based upon how they work at the time..... when I bought a pedal or amp it was about what features it had and how it sounded. I didn’t buy a pedal expecting to send it in every few months and have them add extra knobs or something.

Buying a product not for what it is, but for what we hope it may be seems like quite a good way to be nothing but disappointed.
I love updates, don't need/want your approval

Newb question. Other than running 2 amps simultaneously (which I have zero interest in) what features are lacking because of the “lack of CPU” in the FM3 or the Axe8 for that matter.
The big one is no dual amps, there's less blocks, there are certain effects functions missing, like vocoder, there are less instances of certain things, if you want to know in detail it's all on wiki, but not all in one place, you need to check each thing individually and it will tell you per item, how it is for Axeiii and for FM3.

Completely different modeling platforms. It simply doesn't make sense for FAS to spend the time completely recoding a product for a new platform that may have insufficient power for future updates. They've done more than can reasonably be expected by transferring some of their new modeling platform to the AX8, the fact that they are working on adding more is simply icing on the cake.

If you where the owner of Fractal Audio, what would your top priorities be?????? Would you spend lots of man hours on updates for old units that are no longer sold in your store ??????? would you make improvements on the newest units that you still sell new??? Would you try to please people that all ready spent there money?????? or the people looking to spend money?????????? or would you balance it all out as it looks like Fractal Audio currently does??????

A
Anyone know where that engineer went? HR possibly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom