FX8 MK2 with Mesa Boogie MK4....

al3d

Does anyone use or have used the FX8 MK2 with Mesa Boogie MK4....?...wondering if i can switch channels with the FX8....

thanks for the info..:)

It's not true that *anything* that allows quarter inch relays/switching will work:

"IMPORTANT! The relays of the FX8 are designed for use ONLY with amplifiers that use “short-to-sleeve” type switching. Do NOT connect the FX8 relays to the switch jacks of an amp that uses voltage differential switching or any other type of switching aside from short-to-sleeve, or serious damage can occur to both units. If you are not 100% sure, contact your amp manufacturer to determine whether your amp is compatible with short-to-sleeve switching. The FX8 relay jacks are compatible with TRS cables, TS cables, or TRS-to-dual-TS split cables. The relays are also fully isolated from the electrical ground of the FX8. This warning is stern, because the last thing we want is for anyone to damage their amp or FX8. In fact, short-to-sleeve relay switched amps are quite common, and your amp may be perfectly compatible. We need to require you however, to understand how your amp works and make the right choices about connecting it to the FX8 relay jacks. Your amp manufacturer should be able to help."
-www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf
(page 19)​

I have a Blues Deluxe with a quarter inch channel switching jack but can't switch it with the FX8 because it uses voltage differential switching.

Yes the FX8 will switch channels on a Mark IV. I have used it with my Mark IVa. The FX8 gives you 4 relays so you have to make some decisions on what functions you want to use, but if all you want is to channel switch it can do it all. If my memory serves me correctly, if you want to buy an extra function or three you can jump from Rhythm 1 to Lead by using just one relay as the Mark IV defaults to the Rhythm channel if you use the relay in the Lead channel external switch. But this did not work using the Rhythm 2 external switch.

Yes the FX8 will switch channels on a Mark IV. I have used it with my Mark IVa. The FX8 gives you 4 relays so you have to make some decisions on what functions you want to use, but if all you want is to channel switch it can do it all. If my memory serves me correctly, if you want to buy an extra function or three you can jump from Rhythm 1 to Lead by using just one relay as the Mark IV defaults to the Rhythm channel if you use the relay in the Lead channel external switch. But this did not work using the Rhythm 2 external switch.

I believe this applies to the Mark V, not the IV.

I couldn't get my Mark IV to switch from Clean to Lead with only 1 cable. It didn't seem to have a "default state" like my Mark V. Now I need to go back and try again if you guys are in fact doing this.

So I decided when I got home today to hook up the FX8 and Mesa Mark IV as it has been a while since I've played it just so I could be sure to give accurate information.
I had it backwards in my previous post about which channel defaults in the Mark IV. The default channel is the Lead channel not ths Rhythm 1 channel.
You will need to leave the selector knob set to FT.SW. If you set it to this with no switches connected it should default to the Lead channel. If you plug in your FX8 relay switch to the Rhythm 1 channel external switch you can jump between Lead and Rhythm 1. If you plug in your FX8 relay to the Rhythm 2 external switch you can jump between Lead and Rhythm 2. If you use a splitter and two of the FX8 relays you can plug them into Rhythm 1 and Rhythm 2 and be able to switch between all three channels. One thing of note is you have to set the FX8 the opposite of how you may set it for a different amp (i.e. the Mark IV works the opposite of my IIC+ so I have to reverse the FX8 on/off settings for the channel switching). I am not sure about the other external switches as I have not used them with the FX8 and the OP was asking about channel switching anyway.
So in short, yes the Mark IV has a default channel and this method of channel switching works as verified today on my Mark IV. As I mentioned in my original reply my Mark IV is an A model. If you have a B then elephant rhino, but I would assume it would function the same way. Getcha pull.

Last edited:
OK....finaly got my FX8...all hooked up like the book sais..but no sound..lol...as soon as i remove the jacks from the effect loop..then sounds comes back. SO...50$ question..what am i doing wrong?

Correction...if i had an effect that goes direct in the input..it works..it seems to be when i try to get it to go in the loop that there is nothing happennnnig. I i put the switch to ON in the back..nothing..no sound.

I just plug into the Normal Loop on mine and everything is good to go. If I plug into the switchable loop as long as I have it turned on everything is good to go.
On the B there should be a switch to choose between Normal Loop and Switchable. Set it to on all the time for normal. Then you should be good to go.
There are also the toggle switches that assign the loop to the different channels in the switchable loop, that auto selects the loop to be on for different channels.
You could read the MK IV manual about the loop section to see if it helps.
Double check the FX8 on how it is set to pass your audio as well. Hope this gets you going!

I think i got it right..but still no sound that way. Unless i remove the Loop cables.

Attachments

• 5724EB49-8B3D-4048-AA43-8B752567963E.jpeg
    5724EB49-8B3D-4048-AA43-8B752567963E.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 21
Do you have another pedal you can try in the loop to narrow down whether the issue is in the setup of the amp or in the setup of the FX8?

I'd do the reset and see if it fixes your issue. I'd post a link but I haven't made enough posts to do so. Just google Fractal FX8 factory reset and it should be the first hit from this forum. Hope that gets your noise happening

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not, it applies to the Mark IV as I have done exactly what I said in my answer to the OPs question with the Mark IV I have.
I have a mark iv and v as this only applies to the v, for me anyways

See post #8 in this thread for how it works. I hooked it up on Thursday just to double check and as described in post #8 it worked with a single relay. It will also work with a single tip to short footswitch as the Lead channel is the default.

Last edited:

Just did a quick google search to verify that mine isn't an anomaly. Indeed the Lead channel is the default for the Mark IV. Just be sure you have the selector set to FT.SW. on the back, not external switching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom