Help Understanding Volume jump when placing FX in parallel?

Mateo11

Inspired
Hey guys.....I'm confused on this and could use some help.

I generally run all my FX in a straight line in the AXEDIT but today I was messing with placing the Reverb a row up and liked the sound better that way. What I don't understand is when I do this my overall preset volume jumps considerably. If I add another FX block like the Tremolo the same way it increases the volume even more.

Can someone explain why this is happening and what is the best way to compensate for these volume jumps every time I add an FX block? Thanks!

I’ve noticed the same thing with my programs. My guess is because were adding some of the unaffected signal in both chains. If you only put 100 percent reverb in parallel it won’t increase the volume

Yep...run your parallel fx (at least the first block if you have multiple blocks in parallel) with the mix @ 100%. Anytime the mix is 50% or lower, you are doubling the dry signal (or whatever signal is going in...). Adjust the level to taste for parallel fx. I prefer my delays and reverbs in parallel. Especially with reverbs, it seems that my signal sits on top of the reverb whereas in series it "falls in" if that makes sense.

I’ve noticed the same thing with my programs. My guess is because were adding some of the unaffected signal in both chains. If you only put 100 percent reverb in parallel it won’t increase the volume

Thanks. What do you mean though "if you only put 100% reverb in parallel it wont increase the volume?" When I place a Reverb block solely in parallel without any other FX block it does increase the volume substantially. It gets even worse the more blocks I add in parallel.

Your example isn't accomplishing anything that wouldn't be possible in series, BTW. The trem/pan in particular will (probably) make it impossible to get the desired depth without excessive level boost.

Especially with reverbs, it seems that my signal sits on top of the reverb whereas in series it "falls in" if that makes sense.

No, this doesn't make sense unless you're talking about having a second effect parallel to reverb.

Yep...run your parallel fx (at least the first block if you have multiple blocks in parallel) with the mix @ 100%. Anytime the mix is 50% or lower, you are doubling the dry signal (or whatever signal is going in...). Adjust the level to taste for parallel fx. I prefer my delays and reverbs in parallel. Especially with reverbs, it seems that my signal sits on top of the reverb whereas in series it "falls in" if that makes sense.

Thanks! Ill try raising the mix to 100% but I did try that earlier and it was way too much Reverb. Are you saying to raise the mix to 100% THEN compensate with the Level to tame the Reverb?

Your example isn't accomplishing anything that wouldn't be possible in series, BTW. The trem/pan in particular will (probably) make it impossible to get the desired depth without excessive level boost.

No, this doesn't make sense unless you're talking about having a second effect parallel to reverb.

I don't know. Maybe its in my head but to my ears the reverb sounds better when run in parallel than just placing it in line with the rest.

I don't know. Maybe its in my head but to my ears the reverb sounds better when run in parallel than just placing it in line with the rest.

There's no sound difference once you achieve the same wet/dry levels. With your example (sub-100% mix) there would have been an increase in dry level, which is likely why you preferred the sound from that point.

There's no sound difference once you achieve the same wet/dry levels. With your example (sub-100% mix) there would have been an increase in dry level, which is likely why you preferred the sound from that point.

Yes thanks. I heard more of the dry signal and did prefer that. So if I understand this correctly.....Once I "correct" the wet/dry level by adjusting the gain I am back to the same place if I would of just left it in series?

Yes thanks. I heard more of the dry signal and did prefer that. So if I understand this correctly.....Once I "correct" the wet/dry level by adjusting the gain I am back to the same place if I would of just left it in series?

Yes. In series you can get the same sound as a parallel (100% mix, 0 dB level) reverb block by setting mix to 50% and level to +3 dB. Then use input gain to set reverb level.

you can also use the level to control the amount of the effects when in parallel....so mix to 100% and level to taste.

The whole running and stacking FX in parallel, wet/dry signals etc I just can't seem to wrap my head around all of it. The manual does not go in depth at all on this and I haven't seen any good YouTube vids on the subject. Some of Moke's presets and Fremen's presets look like treasure maps! FX blocks routed to multiple different rows, stacked on top of each other etc.

Hey @2112 if you are trying to think of another topic to do one of your awesome Fractal videos maybe this could be a topic to cover? I know I will watch it.

Thanks for everyones help!

Parallel blocks work great if you don't want your effects mixed with each other ie: delay in your verb or vice versa. Once you have your levels dialed in you have a lot more flexibility in how your effects work together!

Last edited:
Parallel blocks work great if you don't want your effects mix with each other ie: delay in your verb or vice versa. Once you have your levels dialed in you have a lot more flexibility in how your effects work together!

Yeah I definitely see the value in it. Its the execution part thats affecting me ha :) I want to make fancy looking presets too!

It's a lot easier than it seams. I have a basic preset if you want to check it out I can post it here and you can up load it and see whats up. nothing fancy just verb chorus delay in parallel.

Attachments

• Scorpions.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom