Help with Friedman ASM

Just received a Friedman ASM to use with my AX8. I have been using the power section on my Dirty Shirley amp and a 1x12 speaker cab. Hooked the friedman up to the Ax8 using the xlr out, turned on the power amps and cabs in the ax8, went to the factory presets to try them first. Sounds like crap. Muffled like a blanket. The dirty amps sounded really bad. Tried changing some cabs but not helping.

I have heard of others having this issue but found a way to make it sound great. Trying to figure out what they did. I know that many rave about the ASM so hoping I am just a idiot and have something turned off but can not figure it out.

Any help or suggestions?

try setting up a new preset. i've found that presets for real amp/cab use don't automatically sound right when you turn on the simulations, due to how you may have adjusted EQ etc to compensate for the non-modelled gear.

I have not found a preset yet that I didn't have to tweak quite a bit, factory or purchased presets. They all sound like they have a blanket over them sucking up all the AX8 goodness. No matter where I tweaked I could not find the magic knob/setting to completely clear it up to sound like it was supposed to. I ended up building my own from scratch.

I have not found a preset yet that I didn't have to tweak quite a bit, factory or purchased presets. They all sound like they have a blanket over them sucking up all the AX8 goodness. No matter where I tweaked I could not find the magic knob/setting to completely clear it up to sound like it was supposed to. I ended up building my own from scratch.
it could also be specific guitars and pickups. it was hard to believe that until i heard it for myself.

i made a completely stock HBE preset which sounded pretty darn good with my guitar. but i sent the preset to someone with the same guitar, just different pickups, and it wasn't as bright and needed some simple adjustments.

this happens with real amps all the time, but since we can quickly - and almost subconsciously - grab the treble knob and turn it up, it doesn't seem like such a big deal at all. guitars, pickups, playing style, picks, these all make a big difference!

Tweeter works, just not really liking the tones even after I started from fresh preset. Clean amps are ok but when you use any dirty amps it just doesn't do it for me even after using the eq. I may have been expecting too much and have been using real cabs for 30 years so my ears may not want to change.

I do have the low cut on, but have tried it both ways. The output is at +4. Trying to figure out way to prove that the ASM is not at fault. Would think if there was something wrong with it, it would have no sound or something like that. I did check the speaker on the ASM and it looks fine. Will try again tomorrow with fresher ears.

it could also be specific guitars and pickups. it was hard to believe that until i heard it for myself.

i made a completely stock HBE preset which sounded pretty darn good with my guitar. but i sent the preset to someone with the same guitar, just different pickups, and it wasn't as bright and needed some simple adjustments.

this happens with real amps all the time, but since we can quickly - and almost subconsciously - grab the treble knob and turn it up, it doesn't seem like such a big deal at all. guitars, pickups, playing style, picks, these all make a big difference!

I have several guitars I tested with, a superstrat with S/D Hot/Vintage/Cool Rails, Soloist with EMG 81/SA and a Gibson RD Artist with S/D Slash setup. It is just a very odd thing. I keep thinking maybe the AX8 has an issue but my presets I built are killer through the ASM-12 and FOH. Dunno :confused:

Try playing some music through it to verify its working properly. If it is than it is an issue of getting used to the cab block. Find the right ir and apply some low cut.

I did play some music through it. It doesn't sound great but assume that's because of the frfr speaker and getting no speaker cab IR. I keep hoping it is something I have turned on , or off in the AX8. The ASM seems pretty simple since I get sound and have verifed both the speaker and tweeter are working.

Thanks for the replys. They are all useful. Did anyone else feel disappointed when they first got the ASM but figured out how to make it sound great? If I was in a store to demo the AX8 with the ASM, using the factory presets, I would have moved away from it if it sounds like what I am hearing with mine. Way too many users love this combination so I have to believe I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Another thought, check that cab sims is not disabled in global settings

When I first got mine I tried it for like an hour and then gave up and went back to a cab. A few months later I spent more time figuring out irs and now it's better for me than the real cab ever was

Played around with it some this afternoon. Started again from scratch. Moved around lots of settings in both the amp section and cab section. It is starting to sound better now with lots of adjustments. Maybe my ears are getting used to the frfr thing more. Not quite to where I would say great but its getting better so maybe its just another learning curve I need to decided if I want to go through or go back to the way I used the AX8 before.

Thanks for the replys. They are all useful. Did anyone else feel disappointed when they first got the ASM but figured out how to make it sound great? .

Yes I felt this way when I first got the ASC-12... it was very boomy and sounded sterile. I found out about the low-cut in the cab block and that opened it up. I think I have it set around 120 for most of my presets. I also use the graphic 5 or 7 band graphic EQ. I love everything about it except I feel it could be louder. I wouldn't give up on it.

Does make me feel better that I am not the only one that started out with these feelings about it. My biggest concern was that there was a issue with the ASM and I would need to send it back but have pretty much ruled that out. Will do the cab low cut and see how that does. The clean amps sound pretty good now after lots of tweaking but something like the Friedmans I need to do a lot more work on to get what I am looking for.

Sort of a similar experience here......I find the ASC 12 very Bassy......but that may be because of what I am used to. Question is where to EQ it out. I cut all Cabs at 80hz........maybe time to up that 120 hz ?

EQ areas:
1) Global OUT 2 EQ
2) Per patch , Cab or amp, or add a 5 band ?

I have the low cut on or active.

I’ve found players either gravitate toward darker or brighter tones, never really both. Personally I like the darker kinds of sounds with sharp cuts around 4K like you describe.

Back
Top Bottom