Pitch Shifter on Ax8

Is it true for Axe FX II too?
The AxeFX has more processing power and works better on the pitch shifter. Even in AX8, there is a noticeable difference in the pitch shifter performance if you have 40% CPU usage or if you have 80% CPU usage.

I don't think there is a solution. It is a hardware limitation. I try to keep the CPU usage below 65% if I am using the pitch shifter.
The Kemper uses a single Freescale processor running at 400 Mhz vs the AX8 using two dual-core 450 MHz ADSP-21469s DSPs.

I don't think it's a hardware limitation.

The Kemper uses a single Freescale processor running at 400 Mhz vs the AX8 using two dual-core 450 MHz ADSP-21469s DSPs.

You're absolutely right - the perceived hardware limitation is only due to a sub-par and CPU-hungry algorithm. As I mentioned earlier TC could do this in the 90's on far inferior DSP's.

(Not trying to slam, don't know priorities, just saying the hardware is plenty for better pitchsh.)

Last edited:

Not sure you can compare like that. Profiling is a completely different process than modeling. The pitch shift works well until the CPU reaches a certain utilization value.

You're absolutely right - the perceived hardware limitation is only due to a sub-par and CPU-hungry algorithm. As I mentioned earlier TC could do thi in the 90's on far inferior DSP's.

(Not trying to slam, don't know priorities, just saying the hardware is plenty for better pitchsh.)
Not sure what improvements could be made to get better pitch shifting. Maybe there is room. But to make a statement that the code is sub-par seems a little arrogant.

Not sure what improvements could be made to get better pitch shifting. Maybe there is room. But to make a statement that the code is sub-par seems a little arrogant.
Maybe too harsh but I mean relatively sub-par. Relative to awesome amp models and relative to incredible reverbs and delays. Relative to having DSP power that TC couldn't have even imagined 10% of in their craziest feverish wet nirvana dreams back when they already did better.
Axe's pitch seems sub-par relative to its own general effects standard, eh... and probably hasn't been a top priority. :)

Edit: TC probably had too much latency back then but otherwise very effective algorithms.

Last edited:
So what is currently the best alternative to the Fractal Pitch shifting? Eventide H9 or TC Sub n Up or something else?

Don't forget : any digital system will need at least one half-wave of the incoming signal to detect its frequency plus the time it takes to synthesize the pitch transposed signal. The detection of the low E will require at least 1.5 msec.

Is that also true, if you are just changing the pitch by a fixed amount, say half step down? Does AX8 need to know, what the pitch is in order to transpose it?

yeah, but that one needs a 13 pin out and is very bulky.
like I said, cumbersome........the hardware unit is bigger than the AX8..HOWEVER, you can get this system self contained in a guitar..I believe Dweezil put one inside one of his FZ Roxy SGs, and I have a very sweet (literally..from Sweetwood Guitars..)prototype I bought off the NAMM floor .
http://sweetwoodguitars.com/studio-pro.cfm
(the video of Nicky Moroch playing at NAMM he is using my guitar that I had already purchased, but
glen wanted to walk it around the floor and got that video......

Back
Top Bottom