Patches sound weak after upgrade to 7.01

Peter Lacis

Has anyone else noticed that your custom presets on the AX8 sound way different after upgrading to 7.01? I don't recall this much of a change before. Its like a lot of the "meat" or "umph" is missing from all my sounds. Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

I do think there is a noticeable difference in the new firmware but in a good way. did you try resetting the amp block? As far as less meat or umph, I do not feel like that is the case for me. I know in beta there were some issues with the wrong cab being set on presets. Is there any chance your cab selection has gotten changed some how?

Did you do the de-select/re-select amp thing? If so, did you observe your master volume, presence, input trim and switches. They may all have been reset, causing a major change to your tone.

Definitely reset the amp block in all of your presets if you have not done that already.

Some people have said that the amp block output is a little lower with Q7. Try increasing your levels a bit.

Yea, I noticed a drop in volume\gain. Seems like the low mids are a bit cleaner now. Had to do some small adjustments on all my main presets.

Many advances in modelling algorithms increase clarity. Sometimes this involves removing frequencies which clutter up the sound. 7.0 seems to remove a bit of the mid range warmth in exchange for mid range clarity. There are lots of ways of dialling in warm frequencies whilst maintaining clarity. These include the new speaker drive parameters, or you could just turn up the mids.

Also, once you reset the amp/cabs you will then have to restore your setti as as many will have changed. This could be what you are experiencing.
I took a pic of each page of the amp block settings to help me.

Also, once you reset the amp/cabs you will then have to restore your setti as as many will have changed. This could be what you are experiencing.
I took a pic of each page of the amp block settings to help me.
I disagree with this, at least as an automatic reaction to new firmware.

The point of resetting is to use the new algorithms and settings. Placing the values to what they were before doesn't necessarily do the same thing. Many find that they don't have to change things at all.
MSo definitely give it a try after the reset before just putting everything back.

What? When you do the reset, parameters like the bright switch bass cut and many others turn off which dramatically changes the tone.
Im not reprogramming the algorithm. Im replacing the tonal changes to where they were and then using the amp block with the improved programming. @chris are you suggesting the amp block should simply be used with the defaults? Really?

No, he's suggesting that automatically assuming the same values as a previous major FW version may not yield the best results. With a major update, using your ears to adjust your presets is a better solution than using old settings. I agree with him on this.

What? When you do the reset, parameters like the bright switch bass cut and many others turn off which dramatically changes the tone.
Im not reprogramming the algorithm. Im replacing the tonal changes to where they were and then using the amp block with the improved programming. @chris are you suggesting the amp block should simply be used with the defaults? Really?
No, he's suggesting that automatically assuming the same values as a previous major FW version may not yield the best results. With a major update, using your ears to adjust your presets is a better solution than using old settings. I agree with him on this.
as ethomas said.

perhaps things like Bright Switch can be immediately flipped again, but i'm just saying that adjusting even BMT to exactly the same values, and definitely any advanced parameters, might not have the same results as before, so try things at default first before just automatically putting them back.

firmware changes things, so you might not need to adjust as much, or the adjustments could make your tone worse or not what you want. it's just a suggestion. do whatever you want.

I think it goes with out saying that you listen first. But the whole premise of the thread is that the author is dissatisfied with the revised version of their preset.
I suggested recording the values because I learned the hard way that after the reset of the amp block I am not always satisifed with the new patch and it saves reloading from back up and then copying the settings. @chris You seem to be trolling a bit. No need to be defensive of the 7.xx In my experience some of the changes on this one are in the more harm than good catagory. It is yet to be seen if the overall will be a net improvement. As of this writing, the effect on my current patches is "not so much".

Doesn't really seem like the kind of participation I would expect from a "moderator". But you'll have to live with the appearance you make of yourself.
Thanks for making the fourm a warm and equitable place.

@chris You seem to be trolling a bit. No need to be defensive of the 7.xx In my experience some of the changes on this one are in the more harm than good catagory. It is yet to be seen if the overall will be a net improvement. As of this writing, the effect on my current patches is "not so much".
@chris are you suggesting the amp block should simply be used with the defaults? Really?

Someone disagreeing with you is not trolling. He's merely suggested listening to the applied changes to the amps before tweaking them. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's actually pretty solid advice. Everyone's going to have an opinion of the updates. So far most have been positive, some not so much. You have your methods and Chris has his. Neither is wrong or right and that's what a forum is for, to offer our experience and try to help others that have encountered issues or have questions.

Doesn't really seem like the kind of participation I would expect from a "moderator". But you'll have to live with the appearance you make of yourself.
Thanks for making the fourm a warm and equitable place.
Each one of us has the responsibility to make the forum "warm and equitable place".

@Sonofiam
I felt like his reply to my first post was extremely condescending. And I replyed in kind. When I pointed out as much his best effort was more of the same with "oh please". Am I missing something here?
I appreciate your thoughtful reply but if tge guy is a MOD he really should have a better handle on himself.

Back
Top Bottom