AX8 Drives

I think the problem of some drives is that the controls on the axe fx behave differently than on the real pedal, it's the case of the big muff for example, where the tone control is a tilt eq which also introduces a notch in the mid frequencies, while the tone in the ax8 is the same for all the drive models and is a simple low pass filter. The gain in the model is also way higher than the pedal.
We would also need different slopes for the hi and lo cut filters inside the block to more precisely match the frequency response, and for some modela they're not set right by default (at least compared to my real pedals).
I say these things cuz I made a bit of measurements and comparisons with some pedals I own (they could be different than the ones modelled btw)
Here is a preset and a couple of gilmourish blocks I created based on the aforementioned measurements, they're still not 100% right but pretty accurate to my ears. ;)

P.S.: in the preset the various scenes are for different parts of the song, lower the guitar volume knob for cleaner sounds. The cab bundled to the preset is just the stock TAF-Starfound cab with dephase applied in the axe fx

EDIT: I've realized now that I attached the wrong Big Muff block, I've deleted it and loaded the new one.. even if it will probably be useless after Cliff's last update
If someone was interested I corrected this post because previously I attached the wrong file

I too think the drives are spectacular. I can make any one of them work and create a cool tone. Trust me, I'm no fan boy...when I'm not down with something, I will definitely speak up in a professional way. But the drives are not something I've ever had a problem with.

I think (in my opinion being a user for a few years now as well as a beta tester) the thing that made me stop fighting with the Axe stuff was to stop comparing it to the stuff it supposedly models. You might think that's a dumb thing to do, but you know what? All these options are "tools" for me. If I want to use a real amp or real pedals, I'll just use them, ya know?

To me, the differences in hardware gear vs the stuff offered in any Fractal products are minimal or "only you will notice". Let's face it, you either have a good tone or you don't. Sure there are some differences...but guess what, I've had the original hardware sound like crap vs the Fractal stuff too. I don't like Marshall amps that much, but yet my go to amp is the 800 mod...go figure?! It just gives me what I need in a tone.

See, there's an example right there. I didn't pay attention to any particular amp when I chose that one. I played and listened to how the amp worked and sounded with various cabs. I did the same with the drive block. What complimented what I was doing more so than looking at a name and comparing it? I really think this is where we fail and put too much stress on ourselves.

Try not caring about the name of something and just tweaking it for 10-15 minutes. If you don't like it, move on to something else. If you can't find something cool in this library of madness, something is wrong somewhere. I admit that it can be challenging for some people to get the sound they are looking for.

I've read enough posts to know this is a fact and that there are times when the Axe is so overwhelming, we're stuck between not knowing what or where to tweak all the way down to...."do we really know what a good sound consists of" because we get so lost in the options. I think this can happen with any piece of gear when it offers so many different ways to create good tone.

Anyway, astray as usual.....I love the drive blocks and am actually a bit scared of the changes we may see with them. Once again I'm totally happy with my sounds on all my Axe units and think the drives rule for my particular uses....classic rock, blues, hard rock, metal etc.

I agree mostly with what you are saying. If it sounds good it is good. And you have done an amazing job pulling great tones. Especially those Van Halen video's which were my introduction to Fractal world so thank you for that.

I don't think the drives are horrible and they work well going into the ax8 modelled amps so if thats all you are using them for then I agree with what you are saying.

But to say it doesn't matter if the drives don't sound like the real thing is a bit of cop out. No disrespect intended here. The reason why we all love the AxeFX/AX8 so much and the reason most of us have found this product in the first place is because of the accuracy of the amp modelling. And thats just the starting point. Everything is so tweak able. And of course the effects are up there with the best.

For my application, which is running the AX8 into the front of a "real world" clean amp, the drives are, at best, a little disappointing. After being blown away by the fractal amp tones I expect the AX8 drives to sound very much like the real world drives. I dont know much about the process of modelling but you would think modelling a pedal would be a lot easier than modelling an amp. Even Boss have managed to do a mighty job at modelling the Od's & Distortions in the GT100.

Its refreshing to see the moderator accept this by offering up "dramatically improved" drives in Q5. Its impressive that a product company is really trying to give us everything they have got with the one product, unlike Boss & Line 6 who hold back on features so you have to buy another product and try and make things work together. And the fact they are going to keep improving the product makes it an absolute bargain despite the high initial cost.

I was going to do some extensive ab'ing between real world & ax8 drives & video the whole thing just to prove I wasn't crazy and to help people who were having the same problems, but I think I will now hold off and wait for Q5.

So the big question...... When are we expecting to see Q5?

And thanks guys for all your answers and recommendations. I am still working through them.

Cheers Jonny

The drives have been dramatically improved for the upcoming Quantum 5.00 firmware.
This is amazing news because although I love the amp tones, it always seemed like they were so far ahead of the effects and get all of the attention I'm one of those guys that uses a lot of the effects so this is awesome news thanks Cliff

I agree mostly with what you are saying. If it sounds good it is good. And you have done an amazing job pulling great tones. Especially those Van Halen video's which were my introduction to Fractal world so thank you for that.

I don't think the drives are horrible and they work well going into the ax8 modelled amps so if thats all you are using them for then I agree with what you are saying.

But to say it doesn't matter if the drives don't sound like the real thing is a bit of cop out. No disrespect intended here. The reason why we all love the AxeFX/AX8 so much and the reason most of us have found this product in the first place is because of the accuracy of the amp modelling. And thats just the starting point. Everything is so tweak able. And of course the effects are up there with the best.

For my application, which is running the AX8 into the front of a "real world" clean amp, the drives are, at best, a little disappointing. After being blown away by the fractal amp tones I expect the AX8 drives to sound very much like the real world drives. I dont know much about the process of modelling but you would think modelling a pedal would be a lot easier than modelling an amp. Even Boss have managed to do a mighty job at modelling the Od's & Distortions in the GT100.

Its refreshing to see the moderator accept this by offering up "dramatically improved" drives in Q5. Its impressive that a product company is really trying to give us everything they have got with the one product, unlike Boss & Line 6 who hold back on features so you have to buy another product and try and make things work together. And the fact they are going to keep improving the product makes it an absolute bargain despite the high initial cost.

I was going to do some extensive ab'ing between real world & ax8 drives & video the whole thing just to prove I wasn't crazy and to help people who were having the same problems, but I think I will now hold off and wait for Q5.

So the big question...... When are we expecting to see Q5?

And thanks guys for all your answers and recommendations. I am still working through them.

Cheers Jonny

Thanks for the kind words, Johnny. Glad you liked the Vh patch. Hoping to share some new ones soon. :)

No disrespect taken at all. I sincerely didn't mean my post to sound like "well it works for me, just accept that these things aren't exactly like the real thing." LOL! I swear it wasn't meant to sound that way if it did? My apologies if you took it wrong.

In my case, speaking for me only and my experience, it just helped me to say "ok, this thing does this that this and this...and that's how it sounds. I either get a good sound out of it, learn how to get a good sound out of it, learn what a good sound actually consists of, or I get rid of it."

See man, again, speaking for me.....I didn't get into the whole Fractal thing for the modeling. I really don't care if it sounds like what it's supposed to sound like or not. At the end of the day for me, how good is the tone and does it matter that I may be using a Rat pedal (which I hate in real life) as opposed to a Tube Screamer.....which I love. To me, as long as the sound is delivered, finding out if the stuff sounds like the real thing to me is well, sort of a waste of time. But that's ME. :) I totally understand that this is important to you and others...and I respect it immensely.

I was just saying I think a little too much "comparing" goes into this stuff when in actuality, sometimes the Fractal stuff may fall a little short of the real thing...but just as often, I feel it is better than the real thing. You give me ten minutes and I'll make any amp, cab and pedal work and I'll come up with a really good sound. I got a video somewhere of what I felt was one of our worst cabs and I turned it into a killer, usable sound in my opinion.

See, one thing I have realized about this stuff man.....I don't rely on the stuff that you would normally rely on when using REAL gear. For example, my amp gains as well as my drive block gains, are very low. Amp gain 4.3, drive block 2.78 or something with my drive block output at 8.0. Yet, my distortion and sustain will blow your head off. I can hold a note at a low volume for at least 15 seconds or longer at any given time, and my notes don't trip over each other. I use the drive blocks to enhance what's going on and totally think differently using this stuff than I would a physical rig.

I found that this stuff just doesn't always translate like that. I'll use an amp and a drive block to color/enhance it, and a compressor set at kill mode to bring the distortion and sustain to insanity. I'll run an amp master volume a little lower than 4-5 to get a little more zip out of the amp. The master louder gives me a little more mid/boxyness. Master lower seems to give me a tighter, more snappy sound. With the right amp, the right cab, the right drive and the compressor I mentioned, I'm telling you, I can take our worst amp and cab and turn it into superman.

Again though, I do respect and appreciate that you are looking at things more in the modeling world. You're more right than I am for your application. :) I'm just saying...if one day you totally throw the modeling thing out the window and alter your thinking and usual work-flow to what I'm sort of doing, you may get better results. Instead of relying on the drive block to drive the amp, rely on the amp + cab for starters and use the drive to enhance what is already there.

I use a comp, then the drive, then the amp and then the cab. This arrangement has never let me down. I find that the more I use the drive in the drive block, the more synthetic the tone becomes. This could be due to lots of factors really as modeling can be very finicky. But in moderation with the amp as my main core tone, the drive pedals seem to add that little extra something to where if I kill them, the amp alone will NOT stand on its own. The same with the way I use the compressor. Each piece in my chain is lost without the other. Though this may sound sad, it's due to how *I* run my particular system. I'm sure it's not for everyone....but changing my way of thinking and experimenting is what landed me the tones I have. The day I stopped looking at this as a modeler was the day I actually created some pretty awesome tones. :)

At any rate, I hope you either find a formula that works for you or the updates Cliff gives us helps you. As for me, the update will probably kill all my stuff. LOL! Every update we get, I seem to be the only one that is unhappy. By the time I figure it all out and get happy with my tone, a new major update comes out and screws me all up again. :p Good luck brother.

-Danny

@Sonofiam , any chance you could share some of your drive blocks. I am having a hard time dialing it in the normal way I would a real pedal.
Thanks!
Here's a couple. I use them with all of my amps.

Model - Fat Rat ------------------------ T808 Mod
Drive - 0.79 ------------------------------ 1.80
Tone - 2.31 ------------------------------- 4.65
Low Cut - 160 Hz ---------------------- 400 Hz
High Cut - 2000 Hz ------------------- 1500 Hz
Bass - 3.20 dB -------------------------- 0.0
Mid Freq - 330 Hz --------------------- 497.0 Hz
Mid - 3.0 dB ----------------------------- 1.50 dB
Treble - 0.0 ------------------------------ 0.0
Clip Type - LED------------------------- Si Diode
Mix - 61% -------------------------------- 100%
Level - 4.0 ------------------------------- 3.54

(Advanced page)
Slew Limit - 7.0 ------------------------ 4.77
Bias - 0.0 -------------------------------- 0.010
Bit Reduce - 0 ------------------------- 0
Sample Rate* - 48000 Hz ------------ 48000 Hz

*The Sample Rate will add more "chew" if you lower it but starts sounding bad below 20000 Hz.

Thanks for the kind words, Johnny. Glad you liked the Vh patch. Hoping to share some new ones soon. :)

No disrespect taken at all. I sincerely didn't mean my post to sound like "well it works for me, just accept that these things aren't exactly like the real thing." LOL! I swear it wasn't meant to sound that way if it did? My apologies if you took it wrong.

In my case, speaking for me only and my experience, it just helped me to say "ok, this thing does this that this and this...and that's how it sounds. I either get a good sound out of it, learn how to get a good sound out of it, learn what a good sound actually consists of, or I get rid of it."

See man, again, speaking for me.....I didn't get into the whole Fractal thing for the modeling. I really don't care if it sounds like what it's supposed to sound like or not. At the end of the day for me, how good is the tone and does it matter that I may be using a Rat pedal (which I hate in real life) as opposed to a Tube Screamer.....which I love. To me, as long as the sound is delivered, finding out if the stuff sounds like the real thing to me is well, sort of a waste of time. But that's ME. :) I totally understand that this is important to you and others...and I respect it immensely.

I was just saying I think a little too much "comparing" goes into this stuff when in actuality, sometimes the Fractal stuff may fall a little short of the real thing...but just as often, I feel it is better than the real thing. You give me ten minutes and I'll make any amp, cab and pedal work and I'll come up with a really good sound. I got a video somewhere of what I felt was one of our worst cabs and I turned it into a killer, usable sound in my opinion.

See, one thing I have realized about this stuff man.....I don't rely on the stuff that you would normally rely on when using REAL gear. For example, my amp gains as well as my drive block gains, are very low. Amp gain 4.3, drive block 2.78 or something with my drive block output at 8.0. Yet, my distortion and sustain will blow your head off. I can hold a note at a low volume for at least 15 seconds or longer at any given time, and my notes don't trip over each other. I use the drive blocks to enhance what's going on and totally think differently using this stuff than I would a physical rig.

I found that this stuff just doesn't always translate like that. I'll use an amp and a drive block to color/enhance it, and a compressor set at kill mode to bring the distortion and sustain to insanity. I'll run an amp master volume a little lower than 4-5 to get a little more zip out of the amp. The master louder gives me a little more mid/boxyness. Master lower seems to give me a tighter, more snappy sound. With the right amp, the right cab, the right drive and the compressor I mentioned, I'm telling you, I can take our worst amp and cab and turn it into superman.

Again though, I do respect and appreciate that you are looking at things more in the modeling world. You're more right than I am for your application. :) I'm just saying...if one day you totally throw the modeling thing out the window and alter your thinking and usual work-flow to what I'm sort of doing, you may get better results. Instead of relying on the drive block to drive the amp, rely on the amp + cab for starters and use the drive to enhance what is already there.

I use a comp, then the drive, then the amp and then the cab. This arrangement has never let me down. I find that the more I use the drive in the drive block, the more synthetic the tone becomes. This could be due to lots of factors really as modeling can be very finicky. But in moderation with the amp as my main core tone, the drive pedals seem to add that little extra something to where if I kill them, the amp alone will NOT stand on its own. The same with the way I use the compressor. Each piece in my chain is lost without the other. Though this may sound sad, it's due to how *I* run my particular system. I'm sure it's not for everyone....but changing my way of thinking and experimenting is what landed me the tones I have. The day I stopped looking at this as a modeler was the day I actually created some pretty awesome tones. :)

At any rate, I hope you either find a formula that works for you or the updates Cliff gives us helps you. As for me, the update will probably kill all my stuff. LOL! Every update we get, I seem to be the only one that is unhappy. By the time I figure it all out and get happy with my tone, a new major update comes out and screws me all up again. :p Good luck brother.

-Danny

Thanks Danny. You are a wealth of information. Im looking forward to trying out all of your suggestions when I got off the road and back into the studio. I need to spend more time with the AX8 so I can really find some great go to sounds. As you mentioned in your first post there is definitely some overload going on. I like the way you think about these things.

I agree, I find that a filter block in front of the amp with a mid boost and some cutting is often a much more effective way to get the sounds I need than trying the filter blocks.

I think, the FAS boost, and the 3-knob tube driver are kind of cool, but I rarely use them.
I like organic OD and use filter blocks for sculpting. Most of the ODs I feel try to emulate organic distortion and just have somewhat of a fixed filer configuration baked in.

I think the problem of some drives is that the controls on the axe fx behave differently than on the real pedal, it's the case of the big muff for example, where the tone control is a tilt eq which also introduces a notch in the mid frequencies, while the tone in the ax8 is the same for all the drive models and is a simple low pass filter. The gain in the model is also way higher than the pedal.
We would also need different slopes for the hi and lo cut filters inside the block to more precisely match the frequency response, and for some modela they're not set right by default (at least compared to my real pedals).
I say these things cuz I made a bit of measurements and comparisons with some pedals I own (they could be different than the ones modelled btw)
Here is a preset and a couple of gilmourish blocks I created based on the aforementioned measurements, they're still not 100% right but pretty accurate to my ears. ;)

P.S.: in the preset the various scenes are for different parts of the song, lower the guitar volume knob for cleaner sounds. The cab bundled to the preset is just the stock TAF-Starfound cab with dephase applied in the axe fx

EDIT: I've realized now that I attached the wrong Big Muff block, I've deleted it and loaded the new one.. even if it will probably be useless after Cliff's last update

Thanks a lot!! I'll try your presets ;)

The stock TAF starfound sounds great with the Hiwatt but a bit strange (like a short delay or something like that), is that what you use the dephase to? I hope TAF (well, The Cab Factory) will sell this IRs again to get the complete package.

Thanks again!

Thanks a lot!! I'll try your presets ;)

The stock TAF starfound sounds great with the Hiwatt but a bit strange (like a short delay or something like that), is that what you use the dephase to? I hope TAF (well, The Cab Factory) will sell this IRs again to get the complete package.

Thanks again!
Yes, I feel the same about that cab and I think it's because that mix has some room baked in. I have the Legends pack which contains the same mix without room and it doesn't have that problem.
Dephase also attenuate that but I use it mainly to get a more open sound, it almost seems an un-miked cab and it matches better the sound of that particular recording (live in Gdansk).

Hope you enjoy it, I consider that one of the best patches I've made ;)

It has always been weird for me to see guys say that the effects are so far behind the modeling when so many pros us their Ax just for FX. It is one of the reasons why there is now an FX8. Also the comments about maybe the drives don't work well into a real amp but work well with the modeling amp isn't exactly correct either. I think Danny's posts hit the nail on the head and everyone's user experience is unique. I have a few friends who play for a living. I won't drop names because they are not famous but the play for famous people. These guys are regularly playing in Arena tours in places like Madison Square Garden and the Staple Center. These fellas are using FX8's into clean tube amps and all there FX and Drives come from the Fractal. So they believe in those FX's and drives enough to take it front of 20k+ people backing A list singers. The tones as Danny said are in there and apparently they are going to be getting better

It has always been weird for me to see guys say that the effects are so far behind the modeling when so many pros us their Ax just for FX. It is one of the reasons why there is now an FX8. Also the comments about maybe the drives don't work well into a real amp but work well with the modeling amp isn't exactly correct either. I think Danny's posts hit the nail on the head and everyone's user experience is unique. I have a few friends who play for a living. I won't drop names because they are not famous but the play for famous people. These guys are regularly playing in Arena tours in places like Madison Square Garden and the Staple Center. These fellas are using FX8's into clean tube amps and all there FX and Drives come from the Fractal. So they believe in those FX's and drives enough to take it front of 20k+ people backing A list singers. The tones as Danny said are in there and apparently they are going to be getting better

When did it escalate into FX??? The FX in all Fractal stuff is THE BEST. Could've spent 1500eur to get the high quality reverb alone :)
I think people are just discussing the Drive blocks! Which are about to be "dramatically improved", even though they're already great.

When did it escalate into FX??? The FX in all Fractal stuff is THE BEST. Could've spent 1500eur to get the high quality reverb alone :)
I think people are just discussing the Drive blocks! Which are about to be "dramatically improved", even though they're already great.
Post # 87 "I love the amp tones it always seemed like they were so far ahead of the effects and get all of the attention. I'm one of those guys that uses a lot of the effects so this is awesome news thanks Cliff"

I am def not picking on him, there have been many people say comments like that.

Back
Top Bottom