Adam A7X vs Neumann kh120

cn7

Inspired
I was wondering if anyone's personally tried these... hopefully both.

I'll be using the monitors for making tones and mixing. I use both the AxeFx II and Kemper.

Returning the monitors would be very difficult, since I'm ordering internationally due to a massive discount. I cannot have both at the same time in my home studio.

I'm coming from KRK Rokit 6's. I also have a KRK 10" sub. I don't know if a sub makes me wanna add too much bass or not, so although I have it, I don't want it to be necessary for my setup.

I hear good things about the Neumann's, but they don't go as low frequency-wise, and I haven't tried them.

I've heard totally opposite things said about the Adam's, such as harsh or lessens ear fatigue dramatically. I thought the whole tweeter thing's purpose was to combat ear fatigue right? It sound like no one knows what they're talking about lol, so comments based on actual experience with the Adams would be nice.

Also, the Adam's are the only ones I have access to locally (but I'll be ordering online). I really liked the compared to the KRK's in the store. I could hear details and separation I never heard in songs before. Where delay tends to get mashed in a mix, I could count repeats I couldn't on other easily accessible systems.

I'd think I should get the Adam's, but a user on here said that whenever he's played through them, the sound was like he was in a tunnel and far away. I tried to message them, but no response. I don't know if the problem is rooms related or not.

I know room acoustics play a big part in sound, but I've struggled a lot with the KRK's for a few years in several different rooms.

Finally, I'm mainly working on metal, a touch of djent (not really, but similar), hard rock, alternative, some experimental stuff, and some electronic music.

I actually have owned both sets and a set of genelecs. I preferred the Neumanns, to me and for my application they were a much clearer sounding monitors. No issues with the low end as well. Also the footprint was way smaller than the Adams but not as small as the Genelec which was another deciding factor for me. Either way its HUGE step up from Krk's man

I just recently purchased the Adam A7X's and I don't find them harsh at all. To be the highest is actually very pleasant, not piercing or harsh whatsoever.
In my room the low end was actually a bit much, but that's not a fault of the monitors I have that problem with every set of monitors I have ever used in the room. To me the Adam's are killer monitors. But like everything else it comes down to personal preference.

I'm sure either monitor is going to be a massive step up from the krks. I find that the KRK's just smear the sound too much.
Listening to music, they don't sound all that bad, especially with the sub, they kick. But I've already tried them in several different scenarios and just seem not to gel with them enough. It's definitely a struggle.

Decisions decision decisions.... I've actually been struggling with this decision for years. My time is severely limited these days, so this indecision drives me to no decision!

I just recently purchased the Adam A7X's and I don't find them harsh at all. To be the highest is actually very pleasant, not piercing or harsh whatsoever.
In my room the low end was actually a bit much, but that's not a fault of the monitors I have that problem with every set of monitors I have ever used in the room. To me the Adam's are killer monitors. But like everything else it comes down to personal preference.

What about the "in the tunnel," "far away sound" Another user was talking about? Any issues for you there?

I actually have owned both sets and a set of genelecs. I preferred the Neumanns, to me and for my application they were a much clearer sounding monitors. No issues with the low end as well. Also the footprint was way smaller than the Adams but not as small as the Genelec which was another deciding factor for me. Either way its HUGE step up from Krk's man

Can you please describe your application?

Have you thought about getting a pair of CLRs? Scott Peterson stated they worked great as studio monitors plus they would work as a FRFR monitor source for gigging as well.

Either one is going to be a HUGE step up from KRK. I also believe that room treatments are a factor in what you hear.

You're going to get great sound out of either...If you look at youtube, I'm sure there are plenty of video reviews where you can hear them. Frankly, the opinions of others should be a smaller factor than you have so far. Read as many of them as you can, and go with your gut (what you hear is always different than what others hear.)

G'day Cn7,

Just to make it a little harder :)-))

Have you considered the Quested S8r? You may find they are everything you want - IE, lack the harshness of the Adams, and as smooth as the K&H (Neumanns). I say this because I've just got a pair to update some Quested F11s and I'm very impressed - They sound a lot bigger than they look! I had to crossover my Subs at 50 Hz! They go very low :)

Anyway - Please keep us posted on your decision and thoughts. Always an interesting topic.
Thanks
Pauly

I was wondering if anyone's personally tried these... hopefully both.

I'll be using the monitors for making tones and mixing. I use both the AxeFx II and Kemper.

Returning the monitors would be very difficult, since I'm ordering internationally due to a massive discount. I cannot have both at the same time in my home studio.

I'm coming from KRK Rokit 6's. I also have a KRK 10" sub. I don't know if a sub makes me wanna add too much bass or not, so although I have it, I don't want it to be necessary for my setup.

I hear good things about the Neumann's, but they don't go as low frequency-wise, and I haven't tried them.

I've heard totally opposite things said about the Adam's, such as harsh or lessens ear fatigue dramatically. I thought the whole tweeter thing's purpose was to combat ear fatigue right? It sound like no one knows what they're talking about lol, so comments based on actual experience with the Adams would be nice.

Also, the Adam's are the only ones I have access to locally (but I'll be ordering online). I really liked the compared to the KRK's in the store. I could hear details and separation I never heard in songs before. Where delay tends to get mashed in a mix, I could count repeats I couldn't on other easily accessible systems.

I'd think I should get the Adam's, but a user on here said that whenever he's played through them, the sound was like he was in a tunnel and far away. I tried to message them, but no response. I don't know if the problem is rooms related or not.

I know room acoustics play a big part in sound, but I've struggled a lot with the KRK's for a few years in several different rooms.

Finally, I'm mainly working on metal, a touch of djent (not really, but similar), hard rock, alternative, some experimental stuff, and some electronic music.

Have you thought about getting a pair of CLRs? Scott Peterson stated they worked great as studio monitors plus they would work as a FRFR monitor source for gigging as well.
Sounds cool, but I dunno. Maybe too bulky for me and still doesn't seem dedicated. As an add on, sounds interesting to me...
Anyhow, I haven't heard of that solution until now.

G'day Cn7,

Just to make it a little harder :)-))

Have you considered the Quested S8r? You may find they are everything you want - IE, lack the harshness of the Adams, and as smooth as the K&H (Neumanns). I say this because I've just got a pair to update some Quested F11s and I'm very impressed - They sound a lot bigger than they look! I had to crossover my Subs at 50 Hz! They go very low :)

Anyway - Please keep us posted on your decision and thoughts. Always an interesting topic.
Thanks
Pauly

Quested Sr8's seem to be double the price.

Frankly, I'm looking for something somewhat standard. I'd love some Opals, but they are also more expensive, difficult to find at the moment, and there's a rumored update to the design.

The thing about the "harshness" of the Adams is... some people say they are harsh, and some people say they're the exact oposite. I thought the whole reason for the x-art tweeter was to prevent ear fatigue... it kind of defeats the purpose of it actually causes it.

Either one is going to be a HUGE step up from KRK. I also believe that room treatments are a factor in what you hear.

You're going to get great sound out of either...If you look at youtube, I'm sure there are plenty of video reviews where you can hear them. Frankly, the opinions of others should be a smaller factor than you have so far. Read as many of them as you can, and go with your gut (what you hear is always different than what others hear.)

If you are talking about the video examples where they make record the A7X, KH120, M030, and compare them to the source track, I don't know whether to trust that video or not. On one speaker system I pick the Adams as the closest to the source. On the other, the Genelecs. That also doesn't account for imaging and all sort of things that I'm sure don't translate in a recording.

Weeelll, since you can't hear them in person, you'll have to go with the one you believe sounds the best for what you do. In an objective sense, 'honest' can be a word you use for what you think you 'should' hear.

I went with the CLR's (and some HS80's for keyboards) not because they were the most 'honest'. I balanced it over versatility (stage and monitoring) I certainly liked the Genelecs better, but my budget and the uses I had in mind would not see it's way through to those.

I know what it's like to hand wring over this stuff. I believe in lots of research (NOT only opinions), then your gut decision if you can't hear them directly. In my experience, the one you want makes itself clear if you let the universe talk to you. Namaste.

Hi Again Cn7

Yes good point - I forgot to mention that the only reason I picked them up now is the price (Brand new) was about half retail! I speculated (but didn't ask) that there may be a new version coming out or something. You are right they are expensive (if paying retail), but I can listed to Questeds all day - have been for about 15 years now, and this later model is very good!.If you make some enquiries, you may find prices are a lot lower in reality than the printed prices.

In regard to the 'harshness' thing - Yes - some people say the Adams, (and the Genelecs for that matter) are harsh, however I see that as similar to the old JBL thing... IE; the people that don't love them dont like them - but lots of people love them.

Anyway - good luck with it.& keep us posted.

Pauly

Quested Sr8's seem to be double the price.

Frankly, I'm looking for something somewhat standard. I'd love some Opals, but they are also more expensive, difficult to find at the moment, and there's a rumored update to the design.

The thing about the "harshness" of the Adams is... some people say they are harsh, and some people say they're the exact oposite. I thought the whole reason for the x-art tweeter was to prevent ear fatigue... it kind of defeats the purpose of it actually causes it.

I'm starting to think Adam. It was my original pick, without knowing about the Neumanns.

Also, Joey Sturgis uses them in his home studio and the A77X in a bigger studio. (Who knows what is and isn't an endorsement plant these days though...)

Also, they're more popular. That could or couldn't tell one something, but it just seems they knight be easier to sell used if I don't agree with them.

One thing I'm worried about is the bass though...

An online retailer recommended the Neumanns because of tight bass.. Maybe it's the port shape, but it could also be that the Adams go down to 42hz while the Neumanns go to 52hz.

Great... now I'm starting to think Neumann! Hahah.

Hi again - Have a look at the history of the Neumanns & the H&K company that preceeded them in the Monitor space. From a purely 'High Quality' perspective, I'd also be leaning towards the Neumanns. Disclaimer: This is only my opinion based on research I did while looking for monitors!

Thanks
Pauly

What about the "in the tunnel," "far away sound" Another user was talking about? Any issues for you there?
I have Adams A-7. No problems as described. I love my Adams. With other speakers I can hear the tweeter, but with the Adams all i hear is a clear high end of the audio, if that makes any sense.

I have Adams A-7. No problems as described. I love my Adams. With other speakers I can hear the tweeter, but with the Adams all i hear is a clear high end of the audio, if that makes any sense.

When you set your recorded tones, do you do it while playing the guitar and just record that, or do you record and the reamp, adjusting the patches then?

I'm just curious. At least with the KRK's, I sometimes have difficulty with creating patches when a guitar is vibrating against my body or the natural sound of the guitar is live, in the same room at the same time.

Also, what music style do you usually work on? Thanks.

Room is more important than the speakers after you have decent quality. Room response can easily vary +-15db.

The Neumanns are a bit smaller, but they offer a very neutral tone. Very good for mixing, the mixes will translate well. Low bass isn't there, so if movies or bass music is a factor, you'll need a sub.

Genelec' newest models have room correction DSP built in, that one is amazing to hear in regular living room, it takes away a bucketload of mud.

Last edited:
When you set your recorded tones, do you do it while playing the guitar and just record that, or do you record and the reamp, adjusting the patches then?

I'm just curious. At least with the KRK's, I sometimes have difficulty with creating patches when a guitar is vibrating against my body or the natural sound of the guitar is live, in the same room at the same time.

Also, what music style do you usually work on? Thanks.

I think this issue has less to do with monitoring and more to do with brain function. I sometimes have this problem, and I sometimes find that it is simply because I am focusing more on my playing than on listening. Dialing in a tone for a specific song for me is usually a two step process. I dial in, then record little snippets over the song to listen back and see how it sounds. Then I adjust from there.

The unfortunate reality is, monitor opinions and suggestions are very specific to a specific person. I too did alot of research when making my purchase decision, and when reading actual user reviews I kind of had to take them all with a grain of salt. What I tried to do was look for consistencies from review to review on both the good and the bad, and use that to form the basis for my decision. And believe me that wasn't easy. For every guy that says a monitor sounds amazing, there are 3 others that completely contradict it. I tend to not trust commercial reviews as much since there is no way of knowing what publication has a stake in the review. It's painstaking doing research on something as subjective as tone. which is why, unfortunately I try and do as much research as possible, buy what I think would be the best kit, and once I have it in my hands, if it works I keep it, if not I sell it and move on to the next thing.

After owning my A7X's for a short few months now, I can tell you they are better than my Event monitors that I had, and they are MUCH better than my Yamaha HS50's. I haven't found too many flaws with their sound. The biggest flaw I think they have is their size. But even that isn't that big of a deal to me. As stated above, Room treatment is EVERYTHING. Unfortunately I am in a small second bedroom that I use as an office and is shared with my wife's computer, and I don't have the option of doing room treatment for fear of having to listen to my wife about "the ugly stuff on the walls", and These A7x's still sound good in the room without treatment. which was the most important thing to me in the end.

Back
Top Bottom